Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Yokohama S-Drive - looking for feedback

Izzy

That's basically what I've read and been told as well. But they're going out of production so if you have them and need a replacement, you may be in for some trouble. If and when it happens to me, I'll wish I bought the S Drives [facepalm]
Tires (with very few exceptions) as well most things in life are retired, but expect an equal or better product to replace it.

Chuckable

Tires (with very few exceptions) as well most things in life are retired, but expect an equal or better product to replace it.
Very true. What I meant to say was if you need a single replacement tire (like a nail in the sidewall) then a replacement may be difficult to source.

I have 215/40/17 on 7.5x17 wheels since May of last year. Autocrossed in wet (won in STX class) and dry (way slower than competition, but was fun sliding around).
Had un-repairable puncture in one and just recently bought 2 more. They are good not just for grandma driving.

J2FoRS

I agree with most of the above on S-drive's. Good wear, decent grip especially for slower FWD cars like ours. They won't stick as well on a 1st gear pull from a stop as the stockers. For dailies I love me some Nitto Neogens. My fav by far.

I also like the Nitto Neo-Gen for DD value. I find them similar to the stock Bridgestone's. Not quite as grippy on acceleration but 95% there (could be attributed to my Tune+ tune...). I absolutely loved my stock tires but replacements were going to cost me a bit too much. The Nitto's cost be about $450 locally, installed with free flat repair, rotations, and alignment. They seem to be wearing similar to the stockers. They have a bitchin tread pattern too...

Oh yeah, I live in SoCal. Rain doesn't like coming here.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #26
Is it true that the Neo Gens are all seasons with that crazy tread pattern?

J2FoRS

Is it true that the Neo Gens are all seasons with that crazy tread pattern?
Yes sir. All season "Ultra high performance" they deem them. I love the tread pattern personally. And they wear nice and even and perform the same as the stockers I'd say (don't have them yet for the FiST but have had them on other vehicles and a regular Fiesta right now) Maybe a touch less as wrongwheeldrive stated above, but definitely not noticeable. I know in the bigger sizes they fit a little wider. (A 245 vs S-line 245) on my other cars. I'm ordering them for my FiST to replace my stockers this weekend (40km) in the 215/40/17.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Grip vs tread life, that is the question....

Real cost...another interesting perspective sometimes overlooked.....

The S-Drive is a very old design in the modern times we live in, a good tire as probably all Yokohama tires are, just not the latest and greatest they could produce.

There is simple no tire that can do it all so we have to take a good look at what our particular wants and needs are compared to our budgets and then decide.

Right now it seems the BFG Comp 2 may be the best overall compromise between grip, life expectancy and cost.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
After a couple days of driving on them I'm pretty pleased overall, at least initially. Assuming there's another 10k of extra life in them compared to the OEM set, the grip trade-off is worth it to me. They're quieter than OEM (more especially compared to my tread-less OEM set) and a bit more compliant when going over expansion joints and road reflectors; it doesn't sound like the suspension is crashing over every bit of road difference. There definitely is a noticeable amount of traction given up, but I expect that to improve slightly as I get some mileage on them and I wouldn't consider it a 'huge' amount-it's noticeable, but still fun.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a set of tires with the same amount of grip at a lower cost and with longer tire life than the OEM set. It's a trade-off, so you need to figure out what is the most important to you. I commute over 70 miles a day and was more than willing to sacrifice some grip for longevity and comfort, especially when considering the cost, but I wouldn't expect this tire to stand out excessively in any particular way over the competition. There are tires with better traction, tires with longer life, tires with more comfort...but I think this set is going to do well-enough for me considering the price-point.

I think I'll probably go with a Max Performance tire for the FoST because it's driven a decent amount harder, but I don't really see myself going above the UHP's for the FiST as a daily driver, and there are significantly more options at the FoST tire size. This is also just a first impression with very little actual mileage, I could find this set to be significantly better or worse over time. My two-day opinion is not bad in the slightest, and I've had tires on other cars that I had already regretted purchasing within that short of a timeframe...

Got my 215/40/17 S Drives on Saturday. Huge difference coming from winter tires (as can be expected) but I am pleased with them. Predictable, quiet, grippy, not bad in the rain.

They are rubbing though. they are like 2-4 mm away from my coilovers and pretty close on the outside too (they are rubbing on fender liners).Will most likely have to raise the car.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #32
Got my 215/40/17 S Drives on Saturday. Huge difference coming from winter tires (as can be expected) but I am pleased with them. Predictable, quiet, grippy, not bad in the rain.

They are rubbing though. they are like 2-4 mm away from my coilovers and pretty close on the outside too (they are rubbing on fender liners).Will most likely have to raise the car.
What wheel setup are you running again?

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #34
No kidding? Assuming you rub on the inside vs. the outside?

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #36
I'm trying to figure out if I'll rub lowered on Mountune springs with 215's on 7.5 ET45 wheels.