Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Zietronix ECA-2 (ethanol content analyzer) install

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hate to bump this, but was anyone able to successfully complete this on a newer Fiesta ST with the single piece fuel line. I can't see the fitting at the HPFP without removing the cowl, battery, and intake and don't want to do so until I know I have all the correct parts. It looks like the whole line is one piece with no disconnect fittings at the firewall..

Hate to bump this, but was anyone able to successfully complete this on a newer Fiesta ST with the single piece fuel line. I can't see the fitting at the HPFP without removing the cowl, battery, and intake and don't want to do so until I know I have all the correct parts. It looks like the whole line is one piece with no disconnect fittings at the firewall..
Hey JDG, yes I just did this and was planning on posting to this thread once I refined my install just a touch.

The fuel line on the late model cars (mine is a 2017) does not detach from the steel line. However, it is not necessary. You can just disconnect it at the QD at the Hardline that connects to the fuel rail. That OEM line is long enough to use as it is to connect to the flex fuel sensor.

With that said, the parts list is a bit inaccurate, and the Flex lines listed to buy from radium are not ideal. I currently have the setup working will in my car, but I am going to be changing the under hood installation more to my liking.

I am waiting on parts and will share in a post next week.

The gist of it though is that I'm going to be making my own lines with some stainless ptfe line and fittings to get the exact lengths I want to mount the sensor to a bracket I'm going to pop rivet to the firewall.

The fittings listed by series80 are needed to attach to the end of the OEM fuel line and attach it to the sensor.

The Russell 640930 goes into the OEM QD line, then the Russell 640003, then the Russell 644113 which attaches to the sensor.

I'm going to swap to a Russell 611253 to eliminate a coupler (eliminate the 640003).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hey JDG, yes I just did this and was planning on posting to this thread once I refined my install just a touch.

The fuel line on the late model cars (mine is a 2017) does not detach from the steel line. However, it is not necessary. You can just disconnect it at the QD at the Hardline that connects to the fuel rail. That OEM line is long enough to use as it is to connect to the flex fuel sensor.

With that said, the parts list is a bit inaccurate, and the Flex lines listed to buy from radium are not ideal. I currently have the setup working will in my car, but I am going to be changing the under hood installation more to my liking.

The gist of it though is that I'm going to be making my own lines with some stainless ptfe line and fittings to get the exact lengths I want to mount the sensor to a bracket I'm going to pop rivet to the firewall.

The fittings listed by series80 are needed to attach to the end of the OEM fuel line and attach it to the sensor.

The Russell 640930 goes into the OEM QD line, then the Russell 640003, then the Russell 644113 which attaches to the sensor.

I'm going to swap to a Russell 611253 to eliminate a coupler (eliminate the 640003).

Also, I would love to eliminate the OEM flex line and attach a compression fitting, then attach my own line, but all of the compression fittings I see listed state that they are only rated to 50 psi.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

OK - this makes perfect sense, thank you. I guess the only outstanding question I have is regarding the QD between the OEM hard line and OEM flex line. It's under a section of the engine cover and I can't really see it - how do I take this cover off and do I even really need to? Do I need a fuel line QD tool to remove this junction or some other method?

I ordered some extra parts today on Amazon to use the Radium hoses and install the sensor by the LPFP, similar to this thread: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12988-Ethanol-Sensor-Install

I am still just not sure if Russell 644113 is safe to use on the plastic fuel pump male QD..

Thanks for taking the time to respond - this is very helpful.

OK - this makes perfect sense, thank you. I guess the only outstanding question I have is regarding the QD between the OEM hard line and OEM flex line. It's under a section of the engine cover and I can't really see it - how do I take this cover off and do I even really need to? Do I need a fuel line QD tool to remove this junction or some other method?

I ordered some extra parts today on Amazon to use the Radium hoses and install the sensor by the LPFP, similar to this thread: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12988-Ethanol-Sensor-Install

I am still just not sure if Russell 644113 is safe to use on the plastic fuel pump male QD..

Thanks for taking the time to respond - this is very helpful.
Yes, you need to remove both the engine cover (the one that pops off), and the plastic valve cover looking thing. Its not a valve cover and it is easy to remove. You will need to pull out the 4 coil packs, disconnect 2 or 3 electrical connectors, them undo a handful of 8 mil bolts and a couple of 7 mil bolts. Once you remove that cover, you will have access to pop that line off. I put a rag around the the nut that connects that short hardline to the fuel rail and cracked the nut to relieve fuel pressure before I popped that flex line off. It wasn't a ton of fuel. The rag was sufficient.

I don't know about being able to use that for the install under the seat by the tank. I looked at that thread and quite honestly much prefer the under hood install (even though its a bit more work).

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, you need to remove both the engine cover (the one that pops off), and the plastic valve cover looking thing. Its not a valve cover and it is easy to remove. You will need to pull out the 4 coil packs, disconnect 2 or 3 electrical connectors, them undo a handful of 8 mil bolts and a couple of 7 mil bolts. Once you remove that cover, you will have access to pop that line off. I put a rag around the the nut that connects that short hardline to the fuel rail and cracked the nut to relieve fuel pressure before I popped that flex line off. It wasn't a ton of fuel. The rag was sufficient.

I don't know about being able to use that for the install under the seat by the tank. I looked at that thread and quite honestly much prefer the under hood install (even though its a bit more work).
Ahha! Yes, I wasn't sure if that was the valve cover or what... that makes sense. Thank You!

In your current install, did you use the full length Radium hoses? If so, is it ridiculously long or just a few inches extra slack? If so, where do you mount your sensor currently?

Ahha! Yes, I wasn't sure if that was the valve cover or what... that makes sense. Thank You!

In your current install, did you use the full length Radium hoses? If so, is it ridiculously long or just a few inches extra slack? If so, where do you mount your sensor currently?
So right now it temporarily ziptied to the crossover pipe. I'm going to mount it to the top of the firewall (just beyond the cowl) on a bracket I'm going to make.

The Radium hose is a good length if mounted where I'm going to mount it. But any lower or further back and it would be a bit short. The hose would be better if it had 90s on both ends.

So here is the final setup on my 2017 fist.

Parts needed:

1x Flex fuel sensor (I used 13577429 $35 Amazon)

1x Russell 640930

1x Russell 640003

1x add a fuse

2x Russell 644123

2x Russell 644113

Zeitronix ECA 2 with gauge ($239) this comes with the harness, gauge and the little control box.

You only need 1 of the Radium hoses on the 2017 install.

I am listing this stuff because I ended up buying extra stuff that wasn't needed. The posts from Razorlab, and JPGC are great, and the parts list they have are spot on, but for the 2017 you only need the one hose, and you need the two additional parts I listed above (1x Russell 640930 1x Russell 640003).

I made a small steel bracket to hold the flex fuel sensor off of the battery tie down nut. I still need to paint the bracket, but it's a good solid spot. Since I went cheap with the flex fuel sensor, it didn't have any bolt holes, so it's held in place by some double sticky tape and a just snugged hose clamp.

hispirish, just out of curiosity what was the total cost of the install on your 17 FiST? A rough calculation unless I am way off shows around $350-400, is that correct?

Thanks

hispirish, just out of curiosity what was the total cost of the install on your 17 FiST? A rough calculation unless I am way off shows around $350-400, is that correct?

Thanks
It was $421 all in. The Zeitronix stuff was $254, the house from Radium was $42 (shipping was really high), everything else was from Amazon for $128.

Ford Community Posts