Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What mods qualify for stage 3 tune

Stages seem to differ depending on who you ask, but im currently using the cobb stage 2 tune, and want to go to stage 3. Can i safely go to a stage 3 tune by upgrading the downpipe, or do i have to also get a cbe?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The easy answer is downpipe for Cobb stage 3.

The better answer is save that downpipe money and buy a tune from deadhook or another tuner for better results and more smiles per mile

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Stage 3 is fully bolted with the tuning to support the mods on minus big turbo I think, but yea there are no really defined stages!

Based

What tune would you guys recommend besides Cobb? And what would the gains over an OTS tune be?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are some VERY GOOD tuners on this site, and IF you are worried about blowing up your engine, just tell them NOT to totally max out the tune to the outer fringes/peak limits to get that last 1/2 HP.[wink]
(Which I would guess would be their modus operandi anyway, unless you specifically requested that last 1/4 HP, and then signed off on it with a waiver.)

You will still be far ahead (performance wise) of a Cobb OTS tune, but be just about as 'safe'. :)

airjor13

2000 Post Club
What tune would you guys recommend besides Cobb? And what would the gains over an OTS tune be?
A custom tune will take advantage of the mods you have and be optimized for your individual car. The pros are usually better performance (duh), more power/tq, better drivability and the ability to tell someone "yo I am protuned brah".

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
I think im planning on getting the downpipe and a protune at the same time. But if i have to get a cbe for a better tune id rather get the dp first. Then save for the cbe. Then finish it off with a protune. Then lightweight wheels

Based

What kind of numbers between stage 3 OTS and a tune from someone like Tune+? I only have 93 available.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I think im planning on getting the downpipe and a protune at the same time. But if i have to get a cbe for a better tune id rather get the dp first. Then save for the cbe. Then finish it off with a protune. Then lightweight wheels
IC, tune, wheels. DP and CBE do nothing

Start with finding a tuner you're comfortable with. Then discuss upgrade path with them as they will guide you depending on your goals. Save time and money.

Based

Deadhook, stratified, tune+, etc

It doesn't really matter if you just have bolt ons. Any of them will get he most out of your car
so what is bolt ons? Just TBE, IC, and intake? What if I don't want an aftermarket downpipe because I don't want it to be too loud inside?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The good tuners on here can tune for any specific bolt on mods you may have at the time, and some even offer 'lifetime' tunes which allow you a re-mapping for every upgrade you will make in the future. [:)]

Many (most??) on here, including many/most of the tuners themselves, will tell you to NOT do an upgraded down pipe until you move to at least a hybrid aftermarket turbo kit.

I believe that most consider everything up to an aftermarket turbo (of any sort) to be a "bolt-on" (even though technically, a turbo is also a bolt-on since it is external to the engine itself).

OP
S
Thread Starter #15
Yeah dp and cbe dont give much gains, but i will get a better tune, and i need some noise. My cousins and friends mustangs make me jealous lol.

You dont think a protune with stock turbo and aftermarket dp and cbe is any better than a protune without dp and cbe?

Based

Yeah dp and cbe dont give much gains, but i will get a better tune, and i need some noise. My cousins and friends mustangs make me jealous lol.

You dont think a protune with stock turbo and aftermarket dp and cbe is any better than a protune without dp and cbe?
https://youtu.be/SCPdfQ8VZrU

That's the exhaust I'm getting. Borla 140525. Sounds amazing to me.

So ok basically an intake, inter cooler, and tune will net the most gains for the money besides a bigger turbo. Got it thanks.

OP
S
Thread Starter #17
Ive had borla exhaust before. Really liked it sounded great and awesome quality. But its not all bout "gains bro" :)

Might get bigger turbo once my warranty ends/ voided.

But i want sound and eventually a better tune than one without dp.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
https://youtu.be/SCPdfQ8VZrU

That's the exhaust I'm getting. Borla 140525. Sounds amazing to me.

So ok basically an intake, inter cooler, and tune will net the most gains for the money besides a bigger turbo. Got it thanks.
I love my Borla... I run them on my vehicles if I can as they sound fantastic - nothing obnoxious but when you lean on the throttle you know that there is something there.

I really need to get a couple videos of it... perhaps that will be today's project.