Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6 stroke and bore modifications thread

The thread about engine swaps turned into more of a discussion on how we can change the displacement of the 1.6 for more power so I thought I'd start a separate thread. So I'll ask the first question. Could you stroke the 1.6 to 1.4 and have it rev much much higher and have a higher compression?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Compression usually isn't modified by stroking an engine. You'd want pistons with larger domes to increase compression. However, increasing compression, even on a direct injection engine, isn't the direction you'd go on a forced induction engine.

As for revs., I don't think that we really know the limit of the Ecoboost 1.6 unless someone out there is running an aftermarket ECU; the stock ECU is hard limited to 7.5K and there are some guys on this forum spinning that high. I think that even the new formula FF guys are running a lower redline than that for longevity.

OP
U
Thread Starter #3
Compression usually isn't modified by stroking an engine. You'd want pistons with larger domes to increase compression. However, increasing compression, even on a direct injection engine, isn't the direction you'd go on a forced induction engine.

As for revs., I don't think that we really know the limit of the Ecoboost 1.6 unless someone out there is running an aftermarket ECU; the stock ECU is hard limited to 7.5K and there are some guys on this forum spinning that high. I think that even the new formula FF guys are running a lower redline than that for longevity.
I know pumaspeed's website says their forged pistons and rods are good for 8000+ RPM. Do you know if the euro ECU is different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I believe that it's the same ECU but USDM FiSTs use the MAP sensor over the MAF sensor to measure charge density. There are a number of aftermarket ECUs if you really want to venture above 7.5K.

Edit: I take that back - different ECU's. I don't know if the EUR ECU has the 7.5k limit.

You can always increase displacement, it's a whole nother story to take it away, lol. Honestly I'd like to see a 1.8 stroker kit!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
U
Thread Starter #7
You can always increase displacement, it's a whole nother story to take it away, lol. Honestly I'd like to see a 1.8 stroker kit!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
So would I! I don't know a ton about this stuff that's why I started the thread. Any stroker kit would be awesome. Or some forged piston results.

not sure on the US version but i have forged pistons and limiter is set at 7800 on an EU ecu

OP
U
Thread Starter #9
not sure on the US version but i have forged pistons and limiter is set at 7800 on an EU ecu
No issues at all? For $1000 I'd love forged internals

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
No issues at all? For $1000 I'd love forged internals

I hear we (USDM) will be able rev higher soon. Also, I have forged internals. DHM custom pistons (11:1 CR) and h-beam rods. ARP head studs. Also, Supertech makes valves and springs for the head, which I don't have...yet.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
U
Thread Starter #11
I hear we (USDM) will be able rev higher soon. Also, I have forged internals. DHM custom pistons (11:1 CR) and h-beam rods. ARP head studs. Also, Supertech makes valves and springs for the head, which I don't have...yet.

Some Guy On The Internet
How did changing your compression ratio effect your engine? Is our only big limit from revving higher the pistons, rods, and head studs?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
How did changing your compression ratio effect your engine? Is our only big limit from revving higher the pistons, rods, and head studs?

This is my car (425whp) on a 2867r with 11:1 CR, 33-34psi vs a stock engine on a 2860. While the 2860 car spools a lot faster (1-1.5krpm for max), I make more power off boost.

IMG_4665.JPG

The biggest limitation to higher revving is a hard code within the ECU. We can currently rev out to 7500, but this can lead to popping intake manifold with Stratifieds Aux Fuel if you accidentally rev past fuel cut and hit ignition cut at the hard code; simply remedied by lowering the rpm limit. I'm at 7200 for now. Anyway, that's the first limitation.

To my knowledge, it is not yet known if the hardware can handle revs over the current hard limit reliably on a stock engine, though signs do point to yes. - Magic 8 Ball

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
U
Thread Starter #13
That's amazing that your engine is holding 34 PSI. I bet the feeling of 400+ whp is exhilarating

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That's amazing that your engine is holding 34 PSI. I bet the feeling of 400+ whp is exhilarating

They're tough little engines. They'll reliably hold 34psi stock, actually. I dislike repeating this story because people tend to repeat only the negative, conveniently leaving out all the facts. But, here goes (I'll be brief):

Last July, I participated, along side DHM, in a 3.5 day, 1/2 mile drag event in Michigan when it was still on the stock block. Please keep in mind that my built engine was already paid for, in full. Over the course of the days, I made 19-20 passes in 80? weather. We began on about 30psi, E30ish fuel and slowly turned it up throughout the event until we were pushing 36psi on MS109 fuel. We pushed the engine to see how much abuse it would take and ultimately it suffered catastrophic failure when cyl 3 lost compression. The ringland went, piston melted a bit, and warped the cylinder wall. Best guesstimate was 430-450whp. Outlasting and making power above DHMs own engine failure back in 2014 when he pushed his and more carnage too. Good data came of it, and since, DHM tuned/powered cars are even more reliable and powerful.

Anyway, you're probably now wondering why I don't have the car tuned for more power? Part of the failure was caused by uneven distribution of fuel which is the nature of the aux fuel kit. It becomes a hazard at high levels of power when you need that fuel to combat heat and keep cylinder AFRs balanced. There's a solution coming for that too. Additionally, on ethanol blends, we just don't have the in tank pump capacity to pump that much fuel.

All that to say that I agree; Ford built a great engine (sorry for those that got the bad eggs) and tuning strategy.

As to the experience of driving it: exhilarating doesn't begin to touch it. It's just a flat out adrenaline rush from doing something dangerously unnatural in what could best be described as a death trap. My car is a death trap, and I absolutely want it to be more dangerous. :)

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
U
Thread Starter #15
They're tough little engines. They'll reliably hold 34psi stock, actually. I dislike repeating this story because people tend to repeat only the negative, conveniently leaving out all the facts. But, here goes (I'll be brief):

Last July, I participated, along side DHM, in a 3.5 day, 1/2 mile drag event in Michigan when it was still on the stock block. Please keep in mind that my built engine was already paid for, in full. Over the course of the days, I made 19-20 passes in 80? weather. We began on about 30psi, E30ish fuel and slowly turned it up throughout the event until we were pushing 36psi on MS109 fuel. We pushed the engine to see how much abuse it would take and ultimately it suffered catastrophic failure when cyl 3 lost compression. The ringland went, piston melted a bit, and warped the cylinder wall. Best guesstimate was 430-450whp. Outlasting and making power above DHMs own engine failure back in 2014 when he pushed his and more carnage too. Good data came of it, and since, DHM tuned/powered cars are even more reliable and powerful.

Anyway, you're probably now wondering why I don't have the car tuned for more power? Part of the failure was caused by uneven distribution of fuel which is the nature of the aux fuel kit. It becomes a hazard at high levels of power when you need that fuel to combat heat and keep cylinder AFRs balanced. There's a solution coming for that too. Additionally, on ethanol blends, we just don't have the in tank pump capacity to pump that much fuel.

All that to say that I agree; Ford built a great engine (sorry for those that got the bad eggs) and tuning strategy.

As to the experience of driving it: exhilarating doesn't begin to touch it. It's just a flat out adrenaline rush from doing something dangerously unnatural in what could best be described as a death trap. My car is a death trap, and I absolutely want it to be more dangerous. :)

Some Guy On The Internet
That's good to hear. I don't think I'll ever go the fully built engine route so its nice to know that the engines can handle power. I think I'll stop around 300whp. Do you think daily driven 300whp on methanol and E30 is safe? I'd like 350 but I think that's a pipe dream for the current hybrid turbos.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That's good to hear. I don't think I'll ever go the fully built engine route so its nice to know that the engines can handle power. I think I'll stop around 300whp. Do you think daily driven 300whp on methanol and E30 is safe? I'd like 350 but I think that's a pipe dream for the current hybrid turbos.

As long as you keep the meth full, and your tuner is the type of person that's open-minded and always learning/improving, you'll be good.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
U
Thread Starter #17
As long as you keep the meth full, and your tuner is the type of person that's open-minded and always learning/improving, you'll be good.

Some Guy On The Internet
Any tuner you recommend besides DHM? I'm going to go with them for my final tune but I haven't decided on my tuner for my original cyborg.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Any tuner you recommend besides DHM? I'm going to go with them for my final tune but I haven't decided on my tuner for my original cyborg.

Stratified or DHM. If you're going with them for a final tune, I'd just select DHM from the start.

Some Guy On The Internet

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club

I got 240whp on with e40 on my original cyborg tuned by DHM. It was pretty fun. I recommend them over any other tuner.

OP
U
Thread Starter #20
I got 240whp on with e40 on my original cyborg tuned by DHM. It was pretty fun. I recommend them over any other tuner.
What other mods did you have? The person I'm buying it from saw close to 260 so I'd like to get at least 250 on E30