Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New tires new sensor?

When buying new tires, or replacing the oem tires, do the sensors need to be replaced as well?
I've looked online and found many different answers regarding age of sensor, type of sensor and so on. So I thought I would ask actual st owners what they did or think. Thanx,,, Oh, and I got 21000 mile out of my OEM's just sayin. tho never raced and I do corner hard (at times)[grinking]

I kept the oem sensors on last time I replaced the tires at 24k. Probably gonna replace them on the next set in a couple more years.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Manual states the battery will last 5 to 10 years. If you are near the cross over (say year 6-7) you can either wait for a fault or replace. Remember all you are doing is trying to save teh cost of the mounting and balance. So how badly do you want to save $15 or spend $20(new sensor).

Coming from a tire store's point of view, the sensors should be good until the battery runs dead. The valve stems on the other hand should be replaced whenever you replace the tires. The rubber in the stem will degrade over time and possibly cause a leak or failure in the stem. It's usually an extra 2-3 bucks a stem for replacements(retail costs) and cheap insurance.

The other option would be to snag some aluminum replacements that I found and only worry about the rubber bushings every so often.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/7050/vs925b-replacement-tpms-valve-stem-divs925b (black)
http://www.yourtireshopsupply.com/product/2865/46909250-div925a (silver)

Retail on those should be 6-8 bucks a piece and be a more reliable stem than your rubber OE ones. And look better as well!