Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So I think I regret buy he ST...

Maybe your expectations were a bit too high. For me it was a cheap daily that I can park on the street in the city and not be too worried about, yet still be at least semi enjoyable to drive. For that purpose I think it's great.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Come on out to Carson City and I will take you up the canyon next to where we are and you will think quite differently about boring, it is a rocket and a bit of a handful, which makes it more fun. I have more lag than I want so going to a bit smaller turbo but I do like the Jeckle and Hyde attitude it has so did not want to go to small. To extract the full potential of the power, brakes, suspension it has on a tight windy road takes ever bit of my attention and then some.

Then again mine is highly modded but still cost less than just the mods I put on my last Vette including buying the ST and I like it many times better.
Recently I gave back to back rides to a Vette and modern Porsche driver and they were blown away by what the car could do and said they would not take me on in the mountains.

When my wife, dogs and groceries, etc are in the car it gets incredible mileage, rides great, just works. (it actually rides very well all the time except over really big bumps which I am quite understanding about)

BUT, I have had many very modded, fully sorted out and very capable cars, FWD, RWD and AWD and after a bit just wanted something different, ended up being smaller and lighter was the biggest thing I missed.

I bought this car because it was amazing in the first 2 minutes of driving it decided to take it home and not have to mod it much but I should of known better about the modding, 47 years of it seems to have not been enough:)

RAAMaudio ST, street, track, dog hauler, grocery getter, ultra low weight audio.....

Silver, Recaro, sunroof and NAV, sunroof for the dogs as they need lots of air, NAV because it was in the car when I bought it.
296 miles on the car for the first 6 months of ownership and when I started all this, of the lift a few weeks ago, 1500 miles and 200 minutes all out on a race track, things are going very well indeed:)

* Means completed

-Means in progress, waiting on parts, etc.....

Power mods:
-DHM 5th Injector fueling kit on order.
-DHM GTX2860R turbo kit in process (3rd upgrade, Cyborg to DHM EFR and next up the DHM GTX:)
*DHM DP with custom Vband outlet
*DHM tubular bumper and BIG IC
*3" DIY SS exhaust, full 3" Vband inlet, Vibrant 5" resonator, Borla race muffler, 3" single oval exhaust tip(less
restrictive and less weight than twin tips;)
*CAI, DIY with velocity stack inlet in grill, mini keg filter housing, AEM dry filter, 3", insulated.
*Ported and heat wrapped IC piping
*Cobb AP with Race Tuner
-Design straight flow IC to TB pipe in progress soon
-Mishimoto top line Oil Catch Can to replace Elite Engineering can.

Cooling:
-Mishimoto MMRAD-T200-94 Celica GT radiator, DIY custom install
*Setrab oil cooler, Mocal Tstat plate, heat wrapped lines
*Grill opened up for full air flow
*Radiator support sections opened up for more flow
*ABS sheet molded to seal IC, main grill, radiator, maximum flow through the coolers
*Water wetter with 25% or less antifreeze so more distilled water(winter mix in place now)
*Undertray duct to draw air out of the engine compartment

Drivetrain:
*DIY drivers side engine mount
*Cobb RMM
*Quaife LSD (considering switching to OS Giken)
-Spec stage 3 clutch kit and lightweight flywheel on hand
*Motul 300 gear lube
*DIY shifter cable mount bushings, cut and realigned mount
*DIY short shifter
*DIY shifter mount in console raised and stiffened, 2.75" lift

Brakes:
*Front 11.75" DIY, 6 piston Wilwood BBK for15" track wheels, GT rotors, SS lines
*Rear, 11" DIY/Fastbrakes 4 piston Wilwood BBK-GT rotors, SS lines, billet mounts just completed
*Wilwood BP-10 street pads
*Carbotech XP12 Front XP8 rear track pads
*Castrol SRF brake fluid, the best!
-DIY Brake ducts fed from center of splitter
-DIY backing plates

Suspension/steering:
*4x100 bolt pattern re-bore for more wheel options
*DIY modified E36 rear 5-way adjustable rear sway bar(will test and use as needed, or not)
*J2r race spec BC coilovers(best available at this time) redrilled strut towers for camber alignment
*PowerFlex urethane bushings in full suspension and front sway bar.
*DIY rear axle mod, -1.5 camber, 0 toe, by cutting and re-welding knuckle mounts
*Front camber set to -2.5 by modifying strut towers
*Steeda adjustable front sway bar links
*ARP wheel studs
*Roll center and bump steer correction checked, not needed so far
-Corner weigh and balance.

Wheels and tires:
*(4)15x9 Konig Helix with BFG 225/45/15 Rival S for street
*(6)15x9 Konig Helic with Toyo RA1 DOT race tires, 225/45/15 on all four corners
*Fender rolling to fit wide wheels and tires
*17x7 Konig Feather with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 W rated 205/45/17 for street and rainy track days.
*Gorilla short, open end security lug nuts, very low weight

Interior: 175 lbs removed so far
-Autometer 3 way programmable shift light, I set it up so I can keep from over revving on short straights, etc....
*SS dead pedal
*Rear seat delete
*Spare tire and jack delete
*Halatron fire extinguisher at base of drivers seat, completely out of the way yet close to grab it if ever needed
-Alumalite rear floor and trim

Audiophile sound system, I own RAAMmat (mostly retired now) so have to have it:
-Complete sound deadening with low added weight (hatch door and sides are done, much better!)
-Stock NAV HU with output to PPI 88R processor
-Arc Audio XDI V2 amp, 150x4 RMS, 500x1 RMS, high end just released under 5lb 11oz powerhouse
-Dayton Esoteric low weigh, high quality build and spec midbass drivers!
-Vifa "3/4" "Nipple" superb tiny tweeters for A pillar(will fit in stock door locations as well)
-Stereo Integrity sub to be ordered soon, DIY fiberglass/baltic birch enclosure, very low weight
-Quick Release Sub, amp, processor for racing, in tire well(under 30lbs total weight)

Body:
*Tripple R splitter
*Alumalite undertray integrated into TR splitter, heat extraction duct to help cool engine bay
*Rolled and pulled fenders
-DIY Morimoto Mini DS2, 3" Bi-Xenon HID DIY headlights in progress
-DIY Morimoto LED DRL conversion in high beam location, on hand
*Morimoto LED stop, tail, turn, parking bulbs
-LED, 800 Lumin back up lights
-LED interior light conversion started
-Tow straps front and rear
-Rear grill backing removed to let trapped air out, paint grill gloss black to match front grill
-Possibly real rear diffuser
-RS or Rally rear wing being decided upon

Misc:
*rear mount 8lb battery
*Window tint, 20%
-Custom silver/gray RAAMmat logo gels to replace Ford Emblems
*All other badges removed

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Just got back from a drive around Lake Tahoe, from Carson City at 4,200 ft, up to 7,000 pass, down to the lake, some stop and go traffic, had a great lunch, stopped and shopped at several places, 25, 35, 45 MPH limits and up and down a bunch of hills, cruising with my lady and two big doggies so around 500+ lbs on board, 38.7 MPG with fat tires that are a bit out in the wind and a big turbo kit. I did just cruise but damn impressive mileage and a very comfortable ride.

Swap tires, tweak the dampers and I can hang with some very fast cars and pass a lot of them on a mountain road or road race track.

The only other car I built that would come close to the versatility is the Forester XT with $30k in mods that was not as fast and actually a bit boring as AWD is not much of a challenge. I am sure it was better in the snow, which I do not plan to use my FiST for, I have a 6WD 8500lb beast for that:)

A FiST can be modded much less than mine an still be amazing to drive anywhere, I just got carried away.

Ford would love hearing this , I'm sorry the car is too good , try to get it worse next time.

OP, you will always find something to find yourself wanting to move on to something new...with any car or anything else for that matter, if you allow yourself to. If it is something you must do, then by all means, do it. Just be aware or warned, that, in the future, you will find yourself throwing tons of money down the drain for nothing...just to make yourself happy until the next time.
^THIS

I have a long history of buying a car and keeping it for 12-18 months before getting 'bored' with it and moving onto something new. I've done this for the past 15 years. It's ridiculous. Every time I say, "This is the car I'll keep for 5-7 years."

I'm holding out hope with my FiST though...easily the most fun I've had in a car in a very long time...until that Civic Type-R hits the showroom floor ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I like the car well enough if not for just spending a ton of money taking care of our grandchildren which included buying a car safe for them to ride in I would buy a second FiST to keep far more stock and use it year round as going to store the street/track one for the winter. Actually I would probably set it up as a moderately built rally cross car to make it better in adverse weather:)

LT Berzerker

I've had a modded 300zx TT, an A4b5 quattro k04'd, svtf, etc.... All were great cars,

Biggest thing is owning a wide variety of cars to hone in on what you truthfully like, for me it was a jack of all trades.

1. I loved rwd, but need to learn how to drive that type of layout fast (without it being considered attempted suicide).

2. Loved Boost, that wall of power.... Just to much fun... Needed to keep that (thanks Z & A4)

3. Practicality, thanks svtf for teaching me how awesome hatches are. And Audi how great 4 doors are.

4. easy to work on, again thanks to the Z for being over engineered. And the A4 (service mode - front clip removal).

5. Reliable. No need to mention that...

6. Affordable fiesta.... Super cheap insurance. Mileage, awesome. And leave enough to spend on track events.

7. Moddable... Ooh yea FI FTW.

The debate came down to the genesis coupe 2.0t, ST, toyubaru twins, & wrx.

Awd, nice - numb & a pita to fix if it goes south or deal with (clutch replacement A4B5)

Rwd usually not in a hatch that's affordable, not great in winter (WI), and in a hatch layout.

Fwd... Not as fun, can't really drift if so inclined, but usually a great selection of hatches (interior space).

Verdict... Fiesta: Great overall performer, proven chassis, engine... Et al. But with some modification can give you a great feeling of power (turbo engine w Bolt-on's), will rotate like no other, and is also forgiving to driver input error and the wallet.

Great but not perfect... And appreciated by those that truly know and appreciate cars :)

SPhilli911

I had a 2004 STI prior to the ST as well. The ST isn't really a "cool" car and I don't feel the desire to put money into it to mod it beyond what it is now. I also find that I don't really care to drive the ST for fun like I did in the STI. I, too, am not in love with the car. I can sell it without a second thought, whereas the STI was tough to let go. The STI was a car I was passionate about, it was fun, it looked awesome, it sounded incredible and the power was there. The ST is just a car that I drive from point A to B that also happens to be a fun, semi-fast car. But it lacks that passion I had with the STI. So I sorta agree with you.

Although I regret selling the STI, I do not regret replacing it with the ST (I just wish I could afford both). It comes down to what car is the smart option right now in my life.

[MENTION=2002]SPhilli911[/MENTION]1 fair assessment. I feel like it was really hard for me to sell my c5 corvette as to me, it is the sexier, cooler car with good memories. But i'm enjoying the fiesta and its practicality as the days of owning a 2-seater are over for me (unless i want an expensive toy) as a new dad.

I agree with [MENTION=1258]LT Berzerker[/MENTION] in that everyone should hone in on what they like and look for in a car. I've driven a lot of different vehicles and discovered my two favorite types are FWD hot hatch backs and AWD boosted applications. RWD is excellent but not practical for the geography out here, I also just have more fun in the aforementioned platforms.