Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ethanol percentage hardware project

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I'm putting together a hardware package to show the ethanol percentage in the Fiesta ST. This will be handy for people that use Ethanol in their FiST to know EXACTLY what you have in the tank. Coupled with the new COBB map switching this will be a great feature. You will be able to run a custom rom that has Ethanol percentages in each switchable map slot to switch to and you know which one to switch to based on what the gauge is telling you. No more math at fill up and no more guessing when you add Ethanol to a non-empty tank.

My dream is to that the ECU will switch to each map automatically depending on the Ethanol percentage in your tank but that will take COBB getting on board with it and the output of the sensor wired to the ECU.

I will be outlining the EXACT parts you need to purchase in list form and a how-to assemble them and wire everything up. I will share this freely in the spirit of information and collaboration.

Parts list:

1. Continental VDO Flex fuel sensor. GM Part # 13577429, approx $55
I went with the smallest sensor they make for space reasons.

2. Russell 644123 -6AN Male to 3/8" SAE Fitting (2) $17/each @ Amazon
These are the quick connect fittings to the sensor. You can go cheaper with the plastic connect versions but there have been reports of the plastic breaking down with E85 so these are much safer and more robust.
Cheaper version:
Dorman 800-082 STRAIGHT. 3/8 IN. STEEL TO 3/8 IN. NYLON (pack of 2)

3. Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting (2) $21/each @ Amazon
This connects to the OEM fuel pipe to the HPFP pump on top of the motor and the other to the OEM Fuel line at the firewall.
Cheaper version:
Dorman 800-092 90 DEGREE ANGLE. 5/16IN STEEL TO 3/8IN NYLON (pack of 2)
Dorman 800-084 STRAIGHT. 5/16 IN. STEEL TO 3/8 IN. NYLON (pack of 2)

4. Radium PTFE -6AN Hose Assemblies - 11.4" Straight and 90* ends (2) $22.95/each @ Radium
PTFE for great ethanol resistance and -6AN connections for secure and non-leak fit. Pre assembled.
Cheaper Version:
Any 30R9 spec hose, Gates, Goodyear etc. Two feet.
Fuel injection hose clamps

5. Zeitronix ECA Ethanol Content gauge $199

6. Zeitronix ECA 8ft wiring harness $29
You can find this harness cheaper to build yourself but this is well done and saves time

If you want to make the Sensor wire harness yourself, here are the part #'s for the connector:
Delphi GT 150 series connector, part # 13519047 (1) $1.62
Delphi GT 150 series Terminals part# 15326264 (3) $0.10 each
Delphi Loose Cable Seal part# 15366021 (3) $0.06 each

Or buy the GM connector harness already assembled and cut one end off GM Part# 13352241 $9.71
EFI Connection also sells a pre assembled connector pigtail for $15.00
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=1222

7. Add-A-Fuse $9 @ Amazon or local auto store

The two pre built Radium PTFE hoses and the Zeitronix ECA wiring harness makes this a basically plug and play affair. I highly recommend going this route to save time but of course you can build it all yourself if you want.

Wiring instructions
Orange wire : +12V (use Add-A-Fuse connection makes this a plug and play affair to the fuse box)
Brown: Ground (use one of the many grounds located behind the glove box or foot well areas
Green: Sensor output to Zeitronix ECA gauge

Fueling connections
The OEM hard line is located at the top right of the engine if you are looking at the windshield of the car.

BE SURE TO RELEASE FUEL PRESSURE BY PULLING THE FI FUSE IN THE FUSE BOX AND CRANKING THE CAR BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS.

Undo the L-shaped connection with the two black prongs below:

Follow this line down towards the firewall and undo the other side the same way you did the engine side of the hose.

Install the Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting on the OEM hard line at the top of the engine. Be sure to lube the o-ring in the connector first. Once you install this fitting onto the OEM hardline, install one of the Radium PTFE -6AN Hose Assemblies on this side, install the Continental VDO Flex fuel sensor on the end of this with the two Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting fittings on it, then install the second Radium hose on the other end of this. Install the second Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting on the OEM hard line at the firewall and then install the last open end of the second Radium hose. This completes the whole assembly.

As you are assembly all this you will see the proper way to orientate everything in the engine bay. It's really simple. I used black zip ties to make sure some of the hoses where secure and wouldn't flop around the engine bay.

Then connect the zeitronix wire harness to the sensor and find the way you want to bring it into the cabin depending on where you want the gauge placed. Wire everything up and there you go!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I been waiting for this :) now I can stop biting my lip ;) Thanks

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Sounds like a great idea. We could use it to get our e mixture where it should be, not having to guess or pull a sample to determine how many gallons of what percentage alcohol/gasoline are left in the tank.

I wonder if everyone knows that you can determine the percentage of ethanol in gas using a graduated cylinder, a gas sample and water? This might be a less expensive alternative for some. You do need to pull a sample, so if you are not used to working with solvents, this could be dangerous. This analysis is based on alcohol's affinity for water and their different specific gravities.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_determine_the_alcohol_content_of_gasoline

Awesome project, let us know if there's anything we can do to help! I'm excited to see the results integrated with the current map switching feature on the Accessport.

My dream is to that the ECU will switch to each map automatically depending on the Ethanol percentage in your tank but that will take COBB getting on board with it and the output of the sensor wired to the ECU.
That's my dream too! ;)

Ian

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
So do you have an Idea of what percentage E change would require a new map ?? like would you have the STD E10 map then like one for E20 an E30 and E40 ? would there be enough leaway in the fuel/air mapping to allow such a %change without harm to the motor ?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
On the stock turbo, a 10% change is no problem, even E30 is fine. The fuel trims have enough range and react fast enough in real-time to not make it an issue. Depending on how you set up dynamic timing, that works well enough too.

I've run my car with E40 with a normal 91 oct map and it worked fine, everything logged fine. It's not optimized for more power but it works. I always prefer to keep the calibration as close as possible though, hence this project to allow that.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Yea back before any of this was tested, I ran E30 on a stage1 or stage3 tune with no tuning ( I didn't have ATR ). I asked Randy if he wanted me to test and run logs for him but he acted like I wanted a oiled down back rub from him. Anyway, it runs AWESOME on E30 even without a tune. All parts of driving are so much better. The car idles smoother, runs through RPM, cruises all way way way better.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I got the last of the parts needed delivered today. I will be test fitting this weekend and posting an update around the project.

For now, here is an image of the motor with the fuel feed line that connects to the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) on top of the motor. In this photo it's the top left, you will notice the silver pipe that I posted a photo of in the first post. The little plastic cap on the left of it is where all this will start. ;)

C. love

This is fantastic. Ive decided to run e30 in mine and something like this will make my fill ups a but easier as they only offer e-85 on my side of the state.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
This is fantastic. Ive decided to run e30 in mine and something like this will make my fill ups a but easier as they only offer e-85 on my side of the state.
If you know the mix in your tank and about the amount needed to fill you can mix it better this is a win win for Us corn addicts ...

ryst

Just thought I'd repot this. Last time I filled up, E85 was $2.09 and 93 octane was $3.94

TheStig

Just thought I'd repot this. Last time I filled up, E85 was $2.09 and 93 octane was $3.94
only problem is you use more E85 compared to regular ole' petrol. I think 1.4 gallons of E85 compared to 1 gallon of 91 for the same distance or work done.

This shouldnt be as bad with E45 but i know E85 required more fuel usage.

Razor this is an awesome project! I will keep an eye on it with hopes that Cobb helps collaborate on it as well.