Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's see your shift knobs!

Aside: Would be great to hear from anyone who has installed that Boosted Designs piece.
I installed the 2.5" stainless piston and absolutely love it. Quality piece. It is my first aftermarket shift knob I have ever owned, I didn't realize the weight made such a big difference with ease of shifting. Sometimes it feels like the shifter is sucked into gear because of how smoothly it shifts. Easy install once I remembered the set screw and no issues with the lockout. The only issue that I do have is temps, which I'm working on a solution for.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #124
That's funny, I bought a '15 Mustang knob and when I tightened it all the way, the reverse ring would not come up. Partially tightened and it would work. I went with my Boomba.
That's why I used a nut on the bottom of mine and it works perfectly for the reverse lock-out. The info is on my build thread. [;)]

Attachments

That's why I used a nut on the bottom of mine and it works perfectly for the reverse lock-out. The info is on my build thread. [;)]
Factory uses blue Loctite, and that is also how the Roush knobs install. You dab Loctite onto the shifter threads, screw the handle down to where the reverse lockout clears just enough to work, back off just enough to center the engraving and let it sit for a day. Worked on my GT, and is working just as well on my FiST.

I didn't see one posted so I decided I would post this. I decided on the the Boomba 270 Round Engraved Knob. I didn't have a heat gun to heat the knob to rotate the shift pattern so I put it in a saucepan of rolling boiling water for a few minutes. Worked like a dream.

Attachments

I went a different direction and covered the stock knob with leather. Shift knob cover (with black lace) from Aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genu...cover-Hand-sewing-car-styling/2045745514.html

$13.02 shipped. Search on: Genuine leather gear covers DIY Case for Ford FIESTA manual gear cover Hand sewing car styling interior decoration gear shift

Good quality, fits well, but I had to fold the bottom under about 3/8 inch to account for the reverse lockout ring.

Love this simple upgrade over a cold or expensive knob. Only took 20 minutes to lace up nice and tight. Laces are along the front center, out of sight and they look good.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #128
Factory uses blue Loctite, and that is also how the Roush knobs install. You dab Loctite onto the shifter threads, screw the handle down to where the reverse lockout clears just enough to work, back off just enough to center the engraving and let it sit for a day. Worked on my GT, and is working just as well on my FiST.
That might work with red locktite, but if I shift hard with using only blue locktite on the threads, I can spin the knob (I did try that first before using a nut... twice in fact). The threads were very loose in the right position for the reverse lockout to work, and during hard usage I can spin the knob. Using a nut allows you to adjust and tighten as needed using no locktite at all. It's also *MUCH* easier to remove (or adjust) if the need arises.

In hindsight, I've reinstalled the stock knob with no locktite and it tightens down into the right position and never moves.... ever, heh [:p]

Original J-Pat

The dealer I ordered my FiST from threw it in for free otherwise I would have not paid $250.00 for it. Everyone who sees it loves it. My only problem with it is that they had to remove the lockout for Reverse which at this point I am used to not having it so I don't miss it at all.
They removed the lockout as in you don't have to pull the lever to go in reverse?

twolf

^I've been waiting to get mine from Ford for a week already, it's on backorder or something.

Got my WC Lathewerks knob in today. Spent a little more than I should have but just sold my Ducati so figured I'd treat myself and get exactly what I wanted. The build quality on these things are amazing and it really feels great in the hand.

I see a lot of people saying they were going to get the GT350 knob once it's been released. Has anyone got this yet? I'm debating between the GT350 knob, the focus CF knob, or one of the LW knobs. Looking for some opinions between the 3 options.