Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.5 Ecoboost

Truth be told total more swaps are a pain in the but either way . .
Since you've done atypical swaps in the past, perhaps you could enumerate how much effort it was? :) Would you recommend people do a swap when there are existing, mild, well understood/supported methods exist to make an engine have similar performance characteristics? People typically do swaps because they want to do something wild, but again all the power to people who simply have a passion for something different. I'm not trying to turn this into a typical internet forum argument, but perhaps we want to avoid ending up with the typical internet forum "just do a swap because that's better/easier" thread. ;) Does anyone know what the MK7 PCM requires to function beyond engine sensors? What about the MK8 PCM? What parts of the car require the MK7 PCM to function. eg. will gauges function?

If you want to upgrade its Turbo you will need an adapter and that is more expensive . Second off the intake valve coking you consider minor maintenance is actually expensive maintenance as you have to take the intake manifold off the head to clean those valves.
Perhaps could you suggest an overall budget for this exercise? I'm pretty sure a $250 aftermarket part would be a small part of such budget. Are we assuming this is a DIY exercise, or are we assuming we're paying a shop to perform all of the custom integration/discovery work?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Since you've done atypical swaps in the past, perhaps you could enumerate how much effort it was? :) Would you recommend people do a swap when there are existing, mild, well understood/supported methods exist to make an engine have similar performance characteristics? People typically do swaps because they want to do something wild, but again all the power to people who simply have a passion for something different. I'm not trying to turn this into a typical internet forum argument, but perhaps we want to avoid ending up with the typical internet forum "just do a swap because that's better/easier" thread. ;) Does anyone know what the MK7 PCM requires to function beyond engine sensors? What about the MK8 PCM? What parts of the car require the MK7 PCM to function. eg. will gauges function?

Perhaps could you suggest an overall budget for this exercise? I'm pretty sure a $250 aftermarket part would be a small part of such budget. Are we assuming this is a DIY exercise, or are we assuming we're paying a shop to perform all of the custom integration/discovery work?
I do not think putting the 2L in our cars is worth it. Our engines are considered to be the superior engine anyways.
As far as the MK8 engine goes its quite interesting and cool due to the that like I pointed out earlier and others echoed it has both port and direct injection,. Meaning its highly tunable stock. Which has already been proven in the UK.
If one had a dead FiST or the 1L ecoboost model it would be a really cool thing, Cost effective? Remains to be seen, cool factor? Huge lol . If one is seriously considering this they either have money to burn or a little on the crazy chance taking side or both. lol

I mentioned LSX’s joke wise because LSX swaps became almost ubiquitous in the 240sx world for gobs of power cheap to drop in drift cars.

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #26
The 1.5 4 cylinder is, as far as I know, largely defunct as an engine option in Ford’s lineup going forward. The current escape uses the 1.5 3 cylinder (which I believe is the “dragon” engine) or the 2.0 4 cylinder and those are the only engine offerings for the escape afaik, not including hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The 1.5 4 cylinder is, as far as I know, largely defunct as an engine option in Ford’s lineup going forward. The current escape uses the 1.5 3 cylinder (which I believe is the “dragon” engine) or the 2.0 4 cylinder and those are the only engine offerings for the escape afaik, not including hybrids.

Yup and yes I believe it is the dragon engine as well as it has bee mentioned by car publications on the web it was.

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #28
Idk, maybe I’m looking at it with a little too much rose tint in my glasses but I’d be super curious if any aftermarket supplier would consider throwing together a swap kit. The donor engines themselves are reasonably cheap and while I don’t know how much they cost, I know aftermarket ECUs exist if the option of ordering a Fiesta ST one from Ford Europe would be too costly. I know companies like flyin’ Miata offer swap kits, although I assume that the Miata following is much larger than the USDM Fiesta ST following.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't see people doing it because you're not gaining a lot for the cost. It's initially the same power output, less one cylinder? This isn't like a Flyin Miata swap or a K Miata swap where you gain double or triple the original horsepower with a swap. You'd still have to buy bolt on parts, and figure out how to make them work in a car they aren't designed for. Its more than just fitting the engine and getting it to run.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I don't see people doing it because you're not gaining a lot for the cost. It's initially the same power output, less one cylinder? This isn't like a Flyin Miata swap or a K Miata swap where you gain double or triple the original horsepower with a swap. You'd still have to buy bolt on parts, and figure out how to make them work in a car they aren't designed for. Its more than just fitting the engine and getting it to run.
There is a person with a 1liter ecoboost car thats thinking of doing it. You could turn one of those into a full ST one bought ST parts and put them on it. /they would probably wind up with a ST for pretty cheap . Those 1liter ecoboost cars sell cheap when you find them.
Its all an exercise in hot rodding . The reason it would also make more sense with the 1 liter cars is those one 1 liter engines are 3 cylinder as well. I almost bought one low mileage from a dealer for like $7500 for shits and giggles.
In a ST it does not make as much sense though you are correct. ‘Which goes right to my same point about putting the FoST engine in our cars, why? I am already above the FoST engine in WHP on pump gas. lol with my S280.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I mentioned LSX’s joke wise because LSX swaps became almost ubiquitous in the 240sx world for gobs of power cheap to drop in drift cars.
I know that you were busting on the whole, "Just drop an LSx in it!" meme/thing, as it is a ubiquitous (and an almost expected/'cliched') swap not just into the drift 'Koukis' (and earlier 240SX models?), but pretty much EVERY RWD platform into which it could possibly fit. [wink]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a person with a 1liter ecoboost car thats thinking of doing it. You could turn one of those into a full ST one bought ST parts and put them on it. /they would probably wind up with a ST for pretty cheap . Those 1liter ecoboost cars sell cheap when you find them.
Its all an exercise in hot rodding . The reason it would also make more sense with the 1 liter cars is those one 1 liter engines are 3 cylinder as well. I almost bought one low mileage from a dealer for like $7500 for shits and giggles.
Agree this would make more sense in a car with the 1.0L, in fact the engine harness would probably be similar enough to get it running, then figure out the port injection part lol.

In a ST it does not make as much sense though you are correct. ‘Which goes right to my same point about putting the FoST engine in our cars, why? I am already above the FoST engine in WHP on pump gas. lol with my S280.
Well yeah with a turbo upgrade, but you could spend similar money as FBO / S280 / Tune and have the larger engine that makes nigh 300whp with bolt ons. Take care of it and it will not explode or LSPI to death. Its a cool idea and since the ECM is reasonably similar, the stock FiST PCM can probably run the 2.0 with the right tuning.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
First off you are looking at this from a mathematical theoretical viewpoint. The 2.0L Ecoboost is not considered the superior engine. Though it has more displacement there are several negatives that have just been pointed out. If you want to upgrade its Turbo you will need an adapter and that is more expensive . Second off the intake valve coking you consider minor maintenance is actually expensive maintenance as you have to take the intake manifold off the head to clean those valves.
The 1.5 on the other hand is downright amazing. It puts out slightly more hp than ours stock it come with direct and port injection stock. They are tuning them in the UK to 260HP on stock fueling and nothing more. Just a fricken tune. The engine has a lot of potential , Oh and did I mention the 3 cylinder has a really cool engine note similar to a 6 cylinder.

I have done engine swaps in the past as I used to own a RB25DET( Nissan Skyline 2.5L turbo 6 cylinder) in a 240sx . Its eaiser to swap a smaller engine into the car than a larger one. Not that the larger swaps have not been done (LSX I hear you in the corner yelling at me. ) :ROFLMAO:
Though ya the more fascinating swap is indeed the 1.5 in my opinion. Plus whatever engine you are gonna swap you will have to port over the ECU so the amount of wire work to do the swap is the same.
Sure from I am a cheap ass I just want to swap in more HP the 2.0L might be the what seems logical swap( I told you to shut your mouth LSX swap.) The 1.5 swap would be way more interesting and higher in the possible cool factor scale.
Truth be told total more swaps are a pain in the but either way . Ya LSX just pipe down. Unless its an older car even then wiring will be done.
3 cyl. engine note is definitely... Different. I have a 1.5L Escape. Sounds cool on 3 cyl. but when cylinder deactivation kicks in and it's running on 2, it makes a horrible vibration

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Agree this would make more sense in a car with the 1.0L, in fact the engine harness would probably be similar enough to get it running, then figure out the port injection part lol.

Well yeah with a turbo upgrade, but you could spend similar money as FBO / S280 / Tune and have the larger engine that makes nigh 300whp with bolt ons. Take care of it and it will not explode or LSPI to death. Its a cool idea and since the ECM is reasonably similar, the stock FiST PCM can probably run the 2.0 with the right tuning.
Well for someone who pushes the crap out of there engine I get it. :ROFLMAO:
I just think it might be more trouble than its worth , plus where you live its as big of a deal here? Man talk about a hassle going back and forth to the ref. just to get it legal. Those guys can be real a...holes.

CSM

1000 Post Club

Interestingly enough the 1.5L 4cyl has some upgrades for durability over our 1.6 engines. Adam Brunson @ Tune Plus is working on a 1.5L block swap for our cars. He has a pretty good video of why they might be a good budget high HP build option on his YT page, but essentially it comes down to the cylinder liner being stronger

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Interestingly enough the 1.5L 4cyl has some upgrades for durability over our 1.6 engines. Adam Brunson @ Tune Plus is working on a 1.5L block swap for our cars. He has a pretty good video of why they might be a good budget high HP build option on his YT page, but essentially it comes down to the cylinder liner being stronger
Ya I just watched that vid pretty interesting. Its mainly the block of the 1.5 and he is going to throw rods piston and crank from the 1.6 into the 1.5 block because its actually has the same bore size.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Ya I just watched that vid pretty interesting. Its mainly the block of the 1.5 and he is going to throw rods piston and crank from the 1.6 into the 1.5 block because its actually has the same bore size.
Yeah, it seems like it'll be a more budget friendly way to achieve higher HP builds rather than having to do the cylinder support lining (or whatever it's called).
Might be something I look to in the future if i decide to throw more HP at my car lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The old one was a downsized 1.6. The new one in the Escape is a 3 cylinder. The same engine goes in the mk8 FiST, and is tuned for more power in that car.