Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0420 and Startified tune

I've got a stock ST that I added a Stratified flash tune to and now I have a P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). I ordered the tune with the snap crackle and I only ran it for 300 miles or so. I also flashed back to Cobb stage 1 and the light ends up coming back on after a few miles. Did I trash my cat? Am I ok running the car with the CEL on, or is it in limp mode?
Thanks guys!!!

TUX15ST

Thats odd, i thought strat turns off your rear 02 sensor in their tune so you would never know even if this did occur, maybe they are leaving the monitors on now

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
I had the option, but figured it was unnecessary since I didn't have a catless downpipe.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
The exhaust crackle feature is supposed to be ran on catless downpipes only, I wonder if there was damage done to your stock downpipe.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I seem to recall the crackle tune is accomplished by adding excess gasoline so that it would burn and crackle pop. couldn't that mess with the CAT? Couldn't tell you why no one else has thrown a code thus far

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
I've already messaged stratified and I'm gonna see what they say. Now I wonder if I can just have the light disabled by them and continue to run my cat, or do I have to buy a new downpipe now?

I seem to recall the crackle tune is accomplished by adding excess gasoline so that it would burn and crackle pop. couldn't that mess with the CAT? Couldn't tell you why no one else has thrown a code thus far
Yes, this is the reason why a C.E.L flashes for a misfire, excessive fuel will ruin a CAT. The chemical reaction that occurs basically turns hydrocarbons into water through a catalyst using heat. More fuel creates more heat and they melt.

I've already messaged stratified and I'm gonna see what they say. Now I wonder if I can just have the light disabled by them and continue to run my cat, or do I have to buy a new downpipe now?
You can not just cover up a problem. If damage was done to your cat it may be past the point of no return and probably is. Chances are it may get worse and clog, who knows though being so new. I doubt it will clear up but may be worth a shot going back to stock and seeing what happens after driving for a while.

OP
C
Thread Starter #11
Yes, this is the reason why a C.E.L flashes for a misfire, excessive fuel will ruin a CAT. The chemical reaction that occurs basically turns hydrocarbons into water through a catalyst using heat. More fuel creates more heat and they melt.

You can not just cover up a problem. If damage was done to your cat it may be past the point of no return and probably is. Chances are it may get worse and clog, who knows though being so new. I doubt it will clear up but may be worth a shot going back to stock and seeing what happens after driving for a while.
I should also add that the car only has 3000 miles. I don't feel that it performs any differently.

I should also add that the car only has 3000 miles. I don't feel that it performs any differently.
You most likely won't unless it gets really bad which may never happen honestly. The problem is the ECU is sensing the CAT isn't working at is determined efficiency, I believe you can monitor this in the AP and you are basically looking for a decent difference between the two O2 sensors. I can't get specifics if Ford lists them as the workshop is down at this time.

It may be something to think about and just see if the situation is getting better or worse if you wanted to drive it for a bit and see what happens.

Not with the Strat Tune, per Alex. They're not dumping fuel into the CAT.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I never said they were dumping fuel directly into the CAT. That wouldn't even be possible. I only pointed out that burning excess fuel (or just running too rich) is known to harm CATs and that maybe that is what the strat crackle tune is doing for the Rice Crispy treats that get so much love around here.

Bluedrank

And so it begins. I've been patiently waiting to see if something like this started happening to owners with the crackle tune on stock cats.

grnmachine02

I never said they were dumping fuel directly into the CAT. That wouldn't even be possible. I only pointed out that burning excess fuel (or just running too rich) is known to harm CATs and that maybe that is what the strat crackle tune is doing for the Rice Crispy treats that get so much love around here.
According to them, they get the crackles by DECREASING the amount of fuel on throttle lift. The focus RS in sport mode has just as much pop and bang as the strat tune does. My other car, which runs on megasquirt, I was able to get the same effect by decreasing the amount the injectors fire when TPS value is at 0%.

For what it's worth, I've got 4k miles on my tune with crackles. No issues so far.

edit:// Keep in my mind that this code is not always the converter. The ECM doesn't really know if your cat is good or bad, it just relies on the 02 sensor to tell it if it is. Exhaust leaks can cause this, as well as an 02 sensor that's on the way out. Granted, it is suspect because you just flashed the tune.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for clearing that up! So they lean it out?! yea fuck that. Granted, it's on overrun but still. i didn't like the crackle tune when i thought they were enriching the blend lol To lean it out all in the name of adding tiny explosions that wouldn't be there otherwise feels like a longevity killer to me....but don't mind me I'm just paranoid.

Not likely an exhaust leak as he's stock but you're right, the code could be an o2. Either way, seems the car is afraid of the tiny explosions and is lashing out! lol

grnmachine02

Thanks for clearing that up! So they lean it out?! yea fuck that. Granted, it's on overrun but still. i didn't like the crackle tune when i thought they were enriching the blend lol To lean it out all in the name of adding tiny explosions that wouldn't be there otherwise feels like a longevity killer to me....but don't mind me I'm just paranoid.

Not likely an exhaust leak as he's stock but you're right, the code could be an o2. Either way, seems the car is afraid of the tiny explosions and is lashing out! lol
Chances are they also play with the cam timing. I suspect it is reducing fuel, and leaving the exhaust valve open for a nano second during throttle lift. That's how a Ford engineer told me they do it on the RS. Either way though, you're right, his car mad.

Either way, the inner immature child loves the noises. Creating a lean condition when you're off throttle really isn't that big of a deal, at least not to me. Hell, my project car I have the injectors turn off completely on throttle lift when I'm over 2k rpm.