Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Check engine! P0420

caliboy15

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I got this code after installing

Cobb DP
FSwerks exhaust
Mountune Full induction kit

no tune, tried stage 1.. no luck!

I will be installing Mountune FMIC tomorrow and run stage 3

any idea why Im getting this code?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
It's probably due to the high flow cat on the Cobb downpipe. Sometimes high flow cats will throw that code just like a race downpipe. Are you planning on running stg3 once you get the intercooler on. If so, the tune has that code deselected so that you won't throw that code. Lol, just reread your post...you should be fine with Stg 3 once you install it. If not..check your connections from where you installed the downpipe.

OP
C

caliboy15

Thread Starter #3
yeah I will be running stage 3 tomorrow asap. Im getting paranoid seeing the code today.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Try installing the Stg 3 now to see if it goes away. Just don't be driving crazy and going wot...or at least keep an eye on your charge temps while driving.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
P0420 Code Disable

FYI...

No surprise that you threw a P0420 code after installing the DP with high flow CAT without disabling the P0420 code...

Just verified quickly by reviewing Stg 1,2, & 3 OTS maps and see that Cobb only disables the P0420 DTC code (see box uncheck) in their stg3 OTS map...

You should be fine after you install the FMIC and load stg3 map...

P0420 code disabled stg3 OTS.jpg

OP
C

caliboy15

Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will be installing the fmic tomorrow and will do stage 3

iso100

1000 Post Club
I've been driving with the CP-E downpipe (catted) and don't have any codes...

iso100

1000 Post Club
Ahh, maybe spending nearly $700 for a catted downpipe (OMG) was a good thing. Of course now I'm just an FMIC away from stage 3. Wallet goes running...

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
A lot of people don't have emissions though. And isn't that all Cobbs stage 3 map does, turn it off? With their catted DP.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
i was throwing the code with my 2j DP with defouler in the warmer months. since winter though i have not seen it back, i wonder if the temps have something to do with it

iso100

1000 Post Club
A lot of people don't have emissions though. And isn't that all Cobbs stage 3 map does, turn it off? With their catted DP.
Yes. I'm speaking for myself though. I have the Cp-E catted and also have to do emissions.

I'm just happy that so far I haven't thrown any codes.

iso100

1000 Post Club
i was throwing the code with my 2j DP with defouler in the warmer months. since winter though i have not seen it back, i wonder if the temps have something to do with it
Yikes. I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Your upstream O2 sensor (between turbo and cat) reads the air fuel mixture before the cat by switching back and forth from about .1V to .9V. After the catalytic converter, the downstream 02 sensor likes to see a very steady reading of about .5V. If you have a high flow downpipe, the catalytic converter isn't doing as much of its job concerning emissions as your factory downpipe. Your downstream o2 will switch between .1V and .9v like the upstream one, which is what triggers the p0420 code. I do not recommend using o2 spacers or defoulers. Get a proper tune that is optimized for a high flow downpipe (Cobb OTS tune works great). Otherwise your air fuel mixture may not be as spot on as it could be, and you could be running slightly too lean under full boost.

Also for who was throwing codes in the summer, but not in the colder temperatures. Remember that vehicles are very smart, and will alter fuel delivery based on not only the amount of air, but the temperature of the air since the temperature changes the density of the air!

My advice is throw a solid tune on it even if you aren't throwing codes to be sure you're safe and keep your engine running happy for many years.

-certified tech [cheers]

OP
C

caliboy15

Thread Starter #20
haha sorry been busy driving. it feels great! i dont see myself going back to stock. i want more!!