Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1 tune comparison

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, so I sent Stratified an email asking about the differences between the 91 and 93 tunes and got a response back pretty quick. They say that indeed that they are mapped for the same throttle input settings etc and that the difference i'm feeling is literally just between the 2 octanes... wow... now admittedly I never tried the Cobb 91 but with Stratified the 91 has much less throttle response and lacks the same quickness the 93 does... I'll keep trying them out, but as of now its: Strat 91->Cobb 93->Strat 93 as far as performance impact... I'm just a little shocked at this point, had no idea the 91 tune would be so much less aggressive to the point it feels stock other than a little more boost.

So after driving a few days on Stat 91 and 93 MAPs I'd have to say the throttle response seems about the same. the 93 map feels a bit more punchy, and a bit more power. I'll post some logs of each map when I get a chance sometime this week, both maps are with Mobil Gas, can't remember if the gas was from the same exact station both times. Should note that I am running an upgraded RMM, FMIC (MAPerformance) and intake (Mishimoto).

I personally didn't expect there to be too much of a difference between the 91 and 93 maps, but was pleasantly surprised.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So after driving a few days on Stat 91 and 93 MAPs I'd have to say the throttle response seems about the same. the 93 map feels a bit more punchy, and a bit more power. I'll post some logs of each map when I get a chance sometime this week, both maps are with Mobil Gas, can't remember if the gas was from the same exact station both times. Should note that I am running an upgraded RMM, FMIC (MAPerformance) and intake (Mishimoto).

I personally didn't expect there to be too much of a difference between the 91 and 93 maps, but was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the feedback... I'm starting to realize that the new tune in general takes a few days to "settle down" as it adapts to fuel quality , driving styles, etc... After I went to 91 and then back to 93, it seems to be just like you say, same throttle response but better/punchier actual power response and it's not as twitchy and difficult to drive at low speeds/traffic as it was the first couple of days.. Definitely happy with Stratified!

Thanks for the feedback... I'm starting to realize that the new tune in general takes a few days to "settle down" as it adapts to fuel quality , driving styles, etc... After I went to 91 and then back to 93, it seems to be just like you say, same throttle response but better/punchier actual power response and it's not as twitchy and difficult to drive at low speeds/traffic as it was the first couple of days.. Definitely happy with Stratified!
Very interesting to hear, I guess I will have to try out the Cobb 93 since I only have a 91 from Stratified.

A7xogg

OK, so after using the 93 tune for a couple of days and being a little surprised by it's flat-out almost race-like throttle response, I tried the 91 map slot this morning for my commute... Wow! WAY better driveability, it has the very low end grunt for slow rolling out of 2nd gear and more of the expected throttle response but also still excellent power too... it only spikes about 1 psi less when you go WOT but the driveability is vastly different for the better for daily driving... Did anyone else order both 91 and 93 from Strat and experience this? It's almost like you could call the 2 maps Daily and Race...
A 7 or 11 psi wastegate actuator helps with the powerband.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Very interesting to hear, I guess I will have to try out the Cobb 93 since I only have a 91 from Stratified.
It's worth a shot, as even the Cobb 93 OTS tune gives a nice little torque punch while retaining driveability... And furthermore, our so-called 92 octane still is showing every sign of actually being 93, OAR stays buried at a best -1.00 and ignition corrections are almost always in the positive... However I say that the Stratisfied 91 tune is better overall to the Cobb 93, but again I think it's worth trying out just to see what it can do, I feel it's kind of how the car should have came from the factory.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
A 7 or 11 psi wastegate actuator helps with the powerband.
You quoted an earlier post of mine, I went on to say how the tune has settled down and the Stratified 93 is now what I'm running... but your reply speaks in general terms, and you are FULLY bolted with stock turbo, so I find that interesting... I wouldn't think an upgraded wastegate actuator would make much of a difference with the stock turbo... I know that it has it's own integrated one, but you're saying that there are clear benefits to bypassing the stock one and going aftermarket? I know with turbo upgrades, most guys go with 11psi, so even a 7psi helps spread the powerband with a stock turbo? Then it would need a new tune, correct?

Last edited:

A7xogg

You quoted an earlier post of mine, I went on to say how the tune has settled down and the Stratified 93 is now what I'm running... but your reply speaks in general terms, and you are FULLY bolted with stock turbo, so I find that interesting... I wouldn't think an upgraded wastegate actuator would make much of a difference with the stock turbo... I know that it has it's own integrated one, but you're saying that there are clear benefits to bypassing the stock one and going aftermarket? I know with turbo upgrades, most guys go with 11psi, so even a 7psi helps spread the powerband with a stock turbo? Then it would need a new tune, correct?
It allows you to use more boost through the rpm range. Like I hold 21 psi when I used to hold 18 or so. It still drops off but the car doesn't hit a wall at 5k anymore it's more gradual at high rpm. It's my favorite mod

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It allows you to use more boost through the rpm range. Like I hold 21 psi when I used to hold 18 or so. It still drops off but the car doesn't hit a wall at 5k anymore it's more gradual at high rpm. It's my favorite mod
Sorry to keep bugging you to clarify, but with tune alone I spike to 26-26.5 psi at WOT and hold something like 23.5 at first until it slowly drops off up top... It's not that I don't believe you, really, it's just that tune, I believe has a lot to do with it, or perhaps it's because my car is a '17 that I'm just now hitting 3k miles on the way home tonight...

I noticed a similar change after installing a DV+. Not really much in the seat of the pants, but the numbers are there to "back it up".

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I noticed a similar change after installing a DV+. Not really much in the seat of the pants, but the numbers are there to "back it up".
OK, I almost brought that up too, am looking at a GFB DV+, they are popular among the VW/Audi guys too, learned from when I had one...So, despite being two separate things they both help prevent 2 different kinds of boost leak, right? Or, do they do the same thing? I do know the DV+ is used instead of a BOV, but a wastegate is separate...

A7xogg

Sorry to keep bugging you to clarify, but with tune alone I spike to 26-26.5 psi at WOT and hold something like 23.5 at first until it slowly drops off up top... It's not that I don't believe you, really, it's just that tune, I believe has a lot to do with it, or perhaps it's because my car is a '17 that I'm just now hitting 3k miles on the way home tonight...
im sure ur wgdc is through the roof or maxed out.
https://datazap.me/u/a7xogg/hmmm?log=0&data=4-5-10
If you look at my log you see the wgdc actually drops as rpm goes up vs the stock one where it would continue to climb till you lifted throttle.

The stock dv was leaking and mine did that too. It felt better after a dv+.

OK, I almost brought that up too, am looking at a GFB DV+, they are popular among the VW/Audi guys too, learned from when I had one...So, despite being two separate things they both help prevent 2 different kinds of boost leak, right? Or, do they do the same thing? I do know the DV+ is used instead of a BOV, but a wastegate is separate...
Yeah, from what i understand the stock fist wastegate spring is 5 psi. And were trying to command 23-26 psi(depending on tune) through that making the wgdc work really hard to trick the wastegate into seeing lower boost so it wont open. I read an article on a garrett and turbosmart website saying typically whatever your wastegate spring is you only want to double it. If you want more boost up your wastegate psi spring.
the wastegate opens when the car goes past a certain psi and keeps the turbo from overboosting. A dv recirculated the air that would be released into the atmosphere into the intake to help turbo spool and its much quieter than a typical bov(which i think thats why manufacturers using this across the board)

A7xogg

If you look at my log you see the wgdc actually drops as rpm goes up vs the stock one where it would continue to climb till you lifted throttle.

Yeah, from what i understand the stock fist wastegate spring is 5 psi. And were trying to command 23-26 psi(depending on tune) through that making the wgdc work really hard to trick the wastegate into seeing lower boost so it wont open. I read an article on a garrett and turbosmart website saying typically whatever your wastegate spring is you only want to double it. If you want more boost up your wastegate psi spring.
the wastegate opens when the car goes past a certain psi and keeps the turbo from overboosting. A dv recirculated the air that would be released into the atmosphere into the intake to help turbo spool and its much quieter than a typical bov(which i think thats why manufacturers using this across the board)

danbfree

3000 Post Club

This is good stuff, thanks for taking the time to explain more... With just the tune and a drop in, I actually get some stock BOV sound, which is cool, not too excessive... but it sounds like if I want to maintain this performance long-term then eventually I'm going to want both a new wastegate and and a DV+...

This is good stuff, thanks for taking the time to explain more... With just the tune and a drop in, I actually get some stock BOV sound, which is cool, not too excessive... but it sounds like if I want to maintain this performance long-term then eventually I'm going to want both a new wastegate and and a DV+...
You either get an aftermarket wastgate or a DV+, not both. By the way, there was a IGW 75 for sale on Craigslist recently, down in your area too.