Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vendor Premier Vendor 124 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Likes

What is this part-throttle surge you speak of?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I wanted to start a new thread for this discussion, as to not derail any of my other threads.

I have had isolated reports of what I like to call a “part-throttle surge” on the Dizzy Tuning Fiesta Flash Tune. You can reproduce this surge by going into 3rd, 4th, 5th (or really any) gear, with the RPM around 2,000. If you then lay into it fairly aggressively, but only to about 60% throttle position, and hold the pedal there. You will experience a surging, regardless of the intake or exhaust modifications. Aftermarket intakes that are much noisier, will make the issue much more pronounced/audible. Testing with aftermarket actuators is coming soon, but I have confirmed it is NOT the actuator causing the surge.

I also want to state up front that my Flash Tune is not the only calibration that exhibits this behavior. I have confirmed that it is present in the Cobb OTS maps (v500, I have not yet tested the v504 for this phenomenon), as well as other Protuner maps. I will not go into much detail here, but have spoken with numerous customers using various other tunes, and they have noticed it as well. I do think the intensity of this surge may vary by tuner, but it is always still there (in my opinion, and I have seen datalogs).

So what causes this surge, and why has no one addressed it? This is something I have been working on over the past few months, and plan to implement in my upcoming Fiesta Flash Tune V2!

Let’s go into a little more detail, shall we. The ECU uses what is called a torque (or load) targeting strategy, rather than the old school boost targeting strategy. Torque targeting is fantastic because it allows your engine to run consistently in virtually all weather conditions. Some of you may notice that your boost values may be slightly lower in the winter, and higher in the summer. This is cause the colder denser air requires less boost to achieve the same torque values that it would have in the warmer months with higher boost levels. But the overall underlying issue (in my opinion) is the overly aggressive torque targeting tables, coupled with a VERY small turbo that spools almost instantaneously.

So if we think about the processes in slow motion, it would look something like this:

• You press the accelerator pedal aggressively, while rolling at a constant rpm
    • The ECU uses the Throttle Requested Torque tables to lookup/determine what torque we want to achieve, based on current RPM and APP
      (The tables are aggressive, so they request a high torque value)
    • The throttle opens abruptly and the wastegate closes, spooling the turbo
    • You then overshoot your torque lookup target in the Throttle Requested Torque tables, due to the initial overly aggressive target
    • Now the ECU closes the throttle and reduces boost, via the wastegate
    • The process may repeat depending on the above conditions

So how can we fix this? We can modify the Throttle Requested Torque tables to target torque more appropriately based on turbo size and flow modifications on the vehicle. The result is smooth ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) operation that more closely matches APP (Accelerator Pedal Position). Stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member 55 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this is a thing. I have had this happen on most (all?) off the shelf tunes as well as a custom pro-tune. I've seen it on stock turbos, hybrid turbos, and big turbos. Most common on the stock and hybrids. When I noticed it once in the log on my personal car, I just requested my tuner to look at it...fixed on the next revision. It only seems to pop up at high throttle in certain gears at a specific RPM window. We have a really old thread somewhere talking about the saw-tooth throttle blade behavior before and how to improve or dampen it for "self" tuners, but we've never had a vendor address it before.

Thanks.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are referring to this thread, which discusses throttle closures at wot.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/t...-automatically

Senior Member 454 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can confirm that this happened on brand A's tune but doesn't on brand B. Great explanation Jason. I agree it's not a bad thing, albeit slightly annoying to the driver. My passengers never even noticed it and to be honest, I only really noticed it when I had the AP hooked up with boost level as a bar graph and I saw it bouncing up and down. It was almost imperceptible in the seat.

Member 200 Rep Points shouldbeasy's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Had this happen on my Stratified tune, mentioned it and it was addressed (significant improvement) but I still feel it occasionally (X-47 Turbo).

New Member 18 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I can also say I have felt this phenomena. I thought perhaps I had a bad tank of gas, cleaned my MAF sensor, etc. Reassuring to see it's not an isolated incident on my side. TBT, it's not annoying, and only happens when say accelerating on a curvy back road where I don't want to give it the full beans, but still want to move quickly.

Jason- if you get this sorted, will you be offering a v2 update at a discount for those with the older tune?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
    I can also say I have felt this phenomena. I thought perhaps I had a bad tank of gas, cleaned my MAF sensor, etc. Reassuring to see it's not an isolated incident on my side. TBT, it's not annoying, and only happens when say accelerating on a curvy back road where I don't want to give it the full beans, but still want to move quickly.

Jason- if you get this sorted, will you be offering a v2 update at a discount for those with the older tune?
    Absolutely. It will either be a small fee to update, or I will offer it at no charge (for existing customers).

Member 174 Rep Points LaserWhisperer's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I'm also experiencing some surging at part throttle, we can discuss more when I send in datalogs :-)

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got this on my V2 93 octane tune. Its pretty mild, but still there.

FWIW My car always did this even when I had the MP215 tune on there as well.
    2014 Molten Orange
    Pwnall IC, Dizzy Stage 2 tune, Injen Intake
    Boomba Recirculating Mechanical BPV, Sparco Pro Corsa+Indy 500

Senior Member 948 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post

I thought our cars were speed density? Or am I wrong? What was the fix for this issue? anyone solve it?
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast