Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Partial throttle weak

Stkid93

Premium Account
I came from a full bolt on e30 mazdaspeed3. I just bought a fist. It’s all stock except for an e30 tune. I have found that I need to give the car over half throttle to get the turbo to spook and get any power. The car has plenty of torque if I get on the throttle hard, but on lower partial throttle it feels like a big turbo car trying to spool. So my question is, why? The way I see it is there are 3 possibilities,

1) on my speed I was used to a very open exhaust set up. With my fist the intake, Down pipe and exhaust are still stock and therefore very restricted, meaning the turbo doesn’t spool easily. So I need to give it more throttle to get enough exhaust gases going to spool the turbo. And simply getting a free flowing intake and exhaust will fix this problem.

2) the engine is just too small, regardless of the set up on the car. It just won’t make enough exhaust gas at less than 50% throttle.

3) it’s the way the throttle map was set up with my tune. I’m currently using dizzy as my tuner. I have noticed that stratified has options on their tunes called “aggressive throttle” and “high torque”. I’m wondering if he has these options to help this issue.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Incorrect* Stock Turbos need the back pressure and BTs need very little back pressure with the FiSTs. Have Jason change the throttle mapping*

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could it be that the fiesta throttle is not as sensitive as the speed3 throttle? I drove a friend’s WRX and it has a much more sensitive throttle so it builds boost with less pedal movement than my fiesta. Maybe if the speed 3 is more sensitive and that’s what you’re used to, it would feel like the fiesta is slower.