Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

19psi but feels n/a

First of all, in an effort to preempt trolling, I should explain that this is my first turbocharged vehicle. I understand the principles and have owned a supercharged car in the past. Also, my father led the automotive program at the local college during my youth (so I'm not an idiot).

Lately, my car feels much less responsive on the butt dyno. The car is running 93 octane on the 91 v101 tune from Cobb. The guage shows the car reaching 19psi when driving, and I can hear the turbo clearly, but it feels much different than a few weeks ago. It has 2500 miles now, and has no warning or failure messages. It is entirely possible that I am just used to the car now, but I am adamant that it doesn't seem to have the same torque. It used to cause me to wrestle the steering wheel whenever hitting a bump at WOT. Yesterday on my way home, an RSX was on my rear, and had no issues staying with me, and the car felt very contained. I uninstalled the tune and reinstalled the 91 v101 map (it was on 102 for a few weeks). Today, it feels and sounds the same. I can feel when the turbo spools, but it does not pull nearly as hard as I remember. I wasn't smiling when giving it the beans.

Is it possible that even when showing 19psi on the Accessport, I could still have a boost leak somewhere? I tightened a few of the clamps but did not spend the time reaching all of them, as I was laying on the ground of a public lot where I live. Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. I just was hoping I could look at a few things before possibly calling up the dealer and looking like an a** if there is nothing to be found.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for all of the support again. Great forum!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Its possible you do have a boost leak, and the turbo is having to work harder to reach the desired boost as a result.
Is it hotter where you are now than it was when you thought the car was more powerful? Heat kills power pretty bad.

Whats your timing advance looking like? Maybe you have a bad batch of gas and its pulling timing?

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Yep all what Colin said above, plus its worth checking all the clamps on your boost hoses, those hoses love to get loose...

OP
mscuil
Thread Starter #6
That video is ridiculous!

The temp has been quite a bit warmer. It's 73 today and not humid, so I don't imagine that the temperature is as much to blame. I did buy the car during Michigan's extended winter last month though.

I have never checked the timing advance. Is that one of the included guages in the Accessport? I have run a few tanks through the car since I noticed the power, so bad gas also seems like a stretch. I had to drive it out of state for work with colleagues, which is when I first noticed. I thought it was due to the weight of 4 adults in the car (don't ask how they all fit). Since then though, I have been alone in the car with similar performance, butt dyno of course.

I'll get under the car with some wrenches this afternoon and see if that helps at all. I'll also take some logging of the timing advance if possible. Thanks everyone.

OP
mscuil
Thread Starter #7
So i got under the car yesterday and was able to tighten each clamp quite a bit. Initially it did not seem to make a difference, but today it feels like it is spooling more quickly and at a lower rpm. It may be the placebo effect, but it does seem faster. So much in fact that I got lazered when having a bit of fun. The officer let me go with no speeding ticket, but written up for impeding traffic so no points. Maybe this car was a bad idea for me. [facepalm]

Colin mentioned checking the timing advance on the car earlier. I scrolled through the available guages on the tuner and used the "Tipin Timing Comp" which last read -4.75/-0.50 before coming inside. I did see numerous other timing guages, some per cylinder, and a base. Is this pretty normal or did I use the wrong guage? Thanks!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
So i got under the car yesterday and was able to tighten each clamp quite a bit. Initially it did not seem to make a difference, but today it feels like it is spooling more quickly and at a lower rpm. It may be the placebo effect, but it does seem faster. So much in fact that I got lazered when having a bit of fun. The officer let me go with no speeding ticket, but written up for impeding traffic so no points. Maybe this car was a bad idea for me. [facepalm]

Colin mentioned checking the timing advance on the car earlier. I scrolled through the available guages on the tuner and used the "Tipin Timing Comp" which last read -4.75/-0.50 before coming inside. I did see numerous other timing guages, some per cylinder, and a base. Is this pretty normal or did I use the wrong guage? Thanks!
Try monitoring "ign Corr cyl1"

OP
mscuil
Thread Starter #11
WOT is whats important on that, idle doesnt mean much.
Ah, yea what i typed is confusing. It was idling when I took the photo, but I did drive it pretty good on the way back so the min/max should reflect.
=

iso100

1000 Post Club
This is a situation where we really want to do a data log and see the progression of values over the RPM range under load.