Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 Fiat 500L - stripped head oil plug

Hey all, please feel free to let me know if this is the wrong place for it. Sadly my partner doesn’t have a FiST like me or the oil changes would be so much easier. She has the cursed Fiat 500L.

First off - you have to disconnect the induction hose to reach down to the oil filter canister. It requires a 12” extension, 2 joint adapters, and a 27mm socket to wrench it out of there.

Secondly - there is a splash guard under the car that covers the front back to the front wheels. And guess what? It covers the oil pan. Once you move it out of the way, there is a cross member that gives only a couple inches of play to unscrew the oil plug and even after you do that, the oil pours all over the cross member so it pours down 12” across.

I didn’t get that far. Whomever did the previous oil change stripped the head of the oil plug - BOTH WAYS! They even over tightened the oil cap so that took 15 minutes to remove. So, now I’m stuck and can’t get the bolt off. I’ve tried an extractor socket but I can’t get it far enough on the head to get grip. There’s not enough room for a mallet to swing far enough to be effective. I tried a box end wrench. I even tried channel locks. I figured it wouldn’t hurt the head since it was already screwed (no pun intended). I’ve used penetrating oil and after that didn’t work I used PB Blast.

I need some serious advice. Any is welcome!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Hey all, please feel free to let me know if this is the wrong place for it. Sadly my partner doesn’t have a FiST like me or the oil changes would be so much easier. She has the cursed Fiat 500L.

First off - you have to disconnect the induction hose to reach down to the oil filter canister. It requires a 12” extension, 2 joint adapters, and a 27mm socket to wrench it out of there.

Secondly - there is a splash guard under the car that covers the front back to the front wheels. And guess what? It covers the oil pan. Once you move it out of the way, there is a cross member that gives only a couple inches of play to unscrew the oil plug and even after you do that, the oil pours all over the cross member so it pours down 12” across.

I didn’t get that far. Whomever did the previous oil change stripped the head of the oil plug - BOTH WAYS! They even over tightened the oil cap so that took 15 minutes to remove. So, now I’m stuck and can’t get the bolt off. I’ve tried an extractor socket but I can’t get it far enough on the head to get grip. There’s not enough room for a mallet to swing far enough to be effective. I tried a box end wrench. I even tried channel locks. I figured it wouldn’t hurt the head since it was already screwed (no pun intended). I’ve used penetrating oil and after that didn’t work I used PB Blast.

I need some serious advice. Any is welcome!
Is there space to get these on there?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This is the best tool I have used. ROCKETSOCKET | 13 Piece Impact Grade Extraction Socket Set | Made in USA | ⅜” Drive | Remove stripped, frozen, rounded-off Bolts, Nuts & Screws https://a.co/d/ahqwybj

Now if all else fails you can still change the oil. You just need a top side oil changer. You just suck the oil out from the dip stick more common than you think.

I'd try the chisel/air gun method. Take the chisel perpendicular to the oil plug to make a good deep dent on the flange of it them tap at an angle to loosen it.

And remove that crossbar to give you more room to work.