2014 Ford Fiesta ST project

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #121
How much are you planning on lifting up the coils? Car looks amazing!
Probably an inch or so. I am aiming for a 1" drop all around. Right now it's 2" in the front and about 1.25 in the rear.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #122
As an update. I didn't have time to finish the car up this weekend so I won't be able to touch it again until next weekend. Need to bleed the brakes, set the ride height and get an alignment before I drive it again.

Driving my Evo 10 this week. Haven't driven it in over a month, about the same time I've had the Fiesta. It sure is a sledgehammer compared to the FiST, but the FiST feels like a go kart compared. ;)

btw, the bleeder screws on the Wilwood calipers are 1/4".

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Just checked the 2J-Racing thread.

OEM: 53.6 lbs total
Wilwood: 31.6 lbs total
That's about the same weight you save by going to a lighter battery, with bad ass braking and looks as a bonus, lol.

Just saying between the lighter wheel package on your car, and lighter brakes, it prob makes a good difference in driveline loss as well as removing general weight from the car. Wonder what kind of crazy fuel mileage you could get hypermilling that car in eco-mode, lol.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Member ID
How are the Wilwood so far, any squeaking issues?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #125
How are the Wilwood so far, any squeaking issues?
Car has been sitting motionless in my driveway for the last week until I can get the time to bleed the brakes and set the ride heights, which should be tomorrow.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #126
Installed the Airtec FMIC today.

Fit great, easy install. There are only three things you have to remove to get it to fit perfect and that is three bolts underneath that would otherwise hit the core and eventually wear through it. So wonder no more, this FMIC fits USDM Fiestas no problem!

Comparison:

OEM:

Airtec:

Tight fit but fits perfect:

With the bumper cover on, it looks exactly like stock, which is exactly what I wanted. :)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
I wanted the extra tall one that thins out at the top, but I guess that is euro only :(

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Member ID
I like the Airtec IC, nice end tank design.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #129
Drove the car around today after setting ride heights.

The suspension feels sooooooo much better than stock. The bouncy resonance that the stock set up had is basically gone and the car is super smooth and more refined feeling. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Very happy with it so far. Of course, need to still get an alignment and put more miles before I do a full review but so far so good.

The con, at least for me, is that I have the front perches basically all the way up and it's still 1.25" lower than stock which is a tad too low for me. Kind of a bummer. Would be great for most people but I'm just not into too low. I'll see how it goes...

I also think I might be wanting more than just 100lb/in more than stock spring rates in the future... we'll see how it is on track next month.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Member ID
I agree on being to low, 1.25" may still be withing having proper geometry or close to it but you still have all those big dips in CA roads to deal with rain, when it happens, etc.....

------

I weighed my 11.75", GT rotor version of the BBK today and it was 11lbs, 4.6 oz per side weight savings using my digital postal scale, not counting mounts as mine are not done yet. That would make your setup at 10lbs, 10.6 oz saved per side:)

Stock rotors are 14lbs, 4.7 oz after being drilled to 4x100 so probably more like 14lbs, 7 or 8 oz.

The 12.19 GT rotors, which weigh more than the others rotors as more mass in the design, a good thing, weigh 9.6 lbs according to the WW site but with hats my 11.75" rotors are 10lbs, 7.7 oz and yours would of been 10lbs, 13.7 oz so a savings of around 3.5 lbs just in rotors.

(yes, I am a bit annal about weight but I also built a 20.4 lb full suspension mountain bike 15 years ago, by far the lightest one in the world and it was strong)

------

As for the tall IC, it would require a EU bumper beam to fit or notch the stock one, and then most of it is behind the bumper so not really that great a design. Razor made a good choice in what he picked:)

------

Keep up the great work and posts, really like where you are going with your car:)

Rick

koozy

3000 Post Club
Member ID
Installed the Airtec FMIC today.

Fit great, easy install. There are only three things you have to remove to get it to fit perfect and that is three bolts underneath that would otherwise hit the core and eventually wear through it. So wonder no more, this FMIC fits USDM Fiestas no problem!
Looks fantastic. Looking forward to what you'll find in your data logging.

Where are those 3 bolts located? Underneath what, the intercooler? and what purpose do those bolts serve? Could they be replaced with shorter bolts?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #132
Looks fantastic. Looking forward to what you'll find in your data logging.

Where are those 3 bolts located? Underneath what, the intercooler? and what purpose do those bolts serve? Could they be replaced with shorter bolts?
One of the them is for the middle lower bracket for the lower black shroud seen here:

The two other bolts are also for the left and right brackets for the lower black shroud, however they also are bolted in another area so taking those bolts out doesn't really matter.

Yes you could probably use bolts with smaller heads.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #133
Datalogs!

Look! A intercooler that works! Happy to have this on the car. Works great.

Here are two datalogs, OEM FMIC vs AIRTEC FMIC. It was the closest to the same temp log I could find. It was a couple degrees cooler for the OEM FMIC log and as you can see, the AIRTEC still kicks its ass.

Red is AIRTEC, green is OEM.

Starting temp OEM: 77F
Ending temp OEM: 99F
Temp increase: 22F

Starting temp AIRTEC: 79F
Ending temp AIRTEC: 83F
Temp increase:4F

Ambient temp for both logs - Approx 70-74F

Member ID
You think the pressure drop is lower with the airtec? Looks like it might possibly spool up faster assuming your WOT start is lined up in these graphs.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #135
You think the pressure drop is lower with the airtec? Looks like it might possibly spool up faster assuming your WOT start is lined up in these graphs.
No idea. The car feels more responsive but that might just be better flow of the core.

It also seems smoother from negative to positive pressure.

I wouldn't put too much weight in the spool part of the chart not lining up as I could have dropped the hammer sooner on one of the logs.

Member ID
It's a pretty impressive improvement. Good to see some data on aftermarket intercoolers.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Member ID
Datalogs!

Look! A intercooler that works! Happy to have this on the car. Works great.

Here are two datalogs, OEM FMIC vs AIRTEC FMIC. It was the closest to the same temp log I could find. It was a couple degrees cooler for the OEM FMIC log and as you can see, the AIRTEC still kicks its ass.

Red is AIRTEC, green is OEM.

Starting temp OEM: 77F
Ending temp OEM: 99F
Temp increase: 22F

Starting temp AIRTEC: 79F
Ending temp AIRTEC: 83F
Temp increase:4F

Ambient temp for both logs - Approx 70-74F
Impressive. Can you post the core measurements for the Airtec?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Member ID
I didn't measure it. I'm sure it's online somewhere.
I was just curious how thick it is. Airtec lists it as 70mm (2.75" in.) Slightly less then ATP's Garret core at 3". All things considered the Airtec is attractive, especially the price shipped to you door from the U.K. I'm going to see what Cobb releases and make my decision then. Cost is going to be the deciding factor as I really don't see much difference between the cores being used. If Cobb packages their cooler with pipes and not sell it seperate I may have to bow out as I prefer the sleeper look, unless there's something really innovative with their pipes.