Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Mishimoto air intake install w/pics

Bit of background: Previously I have installed on this car a Cobb RMM, Mishimoto OCC, drop in air filter, with stage 1 OTS map.

This is my first project-car, so I'm learning along the way, but seeing as how this is a new product, I thought I'd share my thoughts for others out there with 2016s or limited experience like me.

The box arrived yesterday after a long anticipated wait. I got it during a "pre-sale" what seemed like months ago. The expected shipping date had been pushed back more than once, which was frustrating, but I really enjoyed the quality and ease of install of the Mishi OCC, so I had confidence in their new intake despite the setbacks. As far as I am aware, this is the first 2016 compatible intake on the market, so I didn't have any option but to be patient.

Upon arrival, everything looked good. Mostly...

scratches.jpg

There were a few little nicks here and there, but these scratches on the inside of the air box were really the only glaring imperfection. If they'd been on the exterior of the box, I'd have been upset, but because they're under cover I can live with it. Welds all looked ample and I like the wrinkle black coat on the metal pipe. They also failed to include 2 large worm-gear clamps, which was a bit of a bummer, but I was eventually able to reuse some factory clamps (more on that later).

I called Mishimoto customer service right away to advise them to check their stock for any similar scratching/clamp-omission problems. I hope nobody else runs into the same issues.

The installation took a lot more time than I was expecting. I was enjoying the process, taking my time, and trying to avoid mistakes, so I certainly wasn't rushing. But I ran into a few obstacles that cost me time, which I'll try to detail below. Before anyone attempts this install, I'd recommend watching the Mishi install video. They only have online a video for the older style intakes, but the steps are mostly identical:

https://youtu.be/081rXltV8-s

The only difference between the newer and older model year intakes is the addition of an extra valve on the intake piping. More info can be found on this thread, including some forum user DIYs to adapt older intakes to 2016 spec:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6670-2016-guys-with-intakes-chime-in

Personally, I think Mishi has developed a handsome and functional adapter. There's no install video for this adapter, and no detailed how-to reference material, but fortunately it's very straightforward. The two pieces of tubing fit together via nipple and (provided, thankfully) worm-gear clamp. Valves from the car are different sizes and can only be connected one way to the adapter, simplifying the process. Here's a before/after of the area in question on my car:

check valve a.jpg
check valve b.jpg

Now for the easy part. Mostly...

Getting the old intake out is straightforward except for the very last worm-gear clamp that connects the intake piping to the turbo inlet. This screw is very hard to get to, and after many attempts, I decided to remove the coolant reservoir from its 2 vertical tabs to swing it out of the way. This was also tricky, but it gave me much better access to the turbo inlet. So even though it took some time, I would recommend this solution as loosening/tightening a clamp in that location would have been impossible for me otherwise.

turbo inlet.jpg

Clamp in question at bottom left corner (after install of new silicone hose). So tight I couldn't even get a proper picture!

comparison.jpg

Obligatory comparison shot. The American flag on the air filter packaging seemed a perfect reminder of fireworks the night before.

Just as in life, it's putting the pieces back together that is the hard part. Mostly...

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't given 2 large worm gear clamps in my package, so I had to lift a pair off the factory tubes. One worked just fine, but the other was almost too small in diameter that it barely fit over the large end of the silicone hose which connects to the new metal induction tube. It took lots of finesse, but I eventually made it work. In retrospect, I'd go out and buy a 25 cent clamp. Driving to the store would take about the same amount of time as fiddling with it for 30 mins, but it'd be so much easier.

After the parts are roughly in place, getting everything to fit exactly right was a bit of a wresting match. There is little room to spare, and the tubes just didn't freely align themselves into the new air box with enough room to firmly fit the air filter. Keeping clamps and fasteners loose (and all sensors left unconnected!) allowed me to work a bit more freely. Getting the air filter on should be the first part of this process. Make sure the filter is clamped snug around the entire diameter of the pipe, and the air box is saddled into place, before working your way backwards toward the turbo to tighten down the rest of the clamps.

filter.jpg

Lastly, I ran into a hurdle when trying to separate the duct from the factory airbox. The Mishi install video makes prying it off look easy, but I only managed to scratch it up with my panel tool. Eventually I just hulked out and ripped the duct out bare-handed with no damage to the duct or myself (not pictured).

engine bay.jpg

Anyway, this is how she sits now. I know some folks would prefer a colored intake pipe and an exposed filter, but I'm going for a more sleeper look, and I like it!

So what! What about the performance? Well, the Result...

...is immediately noticeable. Engine sounds different, more throaty, angrier up the revs. But most noticeable is the turbo noise. I'm whooshing and shushing all over! With the windows down it becomes a public library! "SHUUUSHHH" Maybe more importantly, I could tell an increase in power on the butt dyno. Though I admit the possibility of placebo effect, getting a blinking traction control warning light has been easier since the install, an clear indication of added power, methinks.

So... I love it! Mostly...

Love the look
Love the quality
Love the sound
Love the performance

Bummed about the scratches
Install took a lot longer than expected
Didn't get all the parts in the box
Had to wait forever for it
Customer Service was half-excellent/half-poor (a story for another time...)

All in all, I'd highly recommend this intake, well, because for a 2016 what other option do you have?

ughnnnnnnn CP-E!!! Come-on! [MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION]

nothing against mishi, I just like the cp-e window more :)... thats kinda really it.

I emailed cp-e about the 2016 intake two days ago...this is the reply....

"Unfortunately this is still a few months out :( . We are really excited to bring this to the Fiesta community but have a few projects we have to button up first."

I emailed cp-e about the 2016 intake two days ago...this is the reply....

"Unfortunately this is still a few months out :( . We are really excited to bring this to the Fiesta community but have a few projects we have to button up first."
As an engineer, that means low priority, 2016 fiesta st wont bring focus RS money onto the table. LOL. Just saying :p. With that said.... I'll wait and hope I'm proven wrong... but... I speculate that my money might move elsewhere if nothing happens before the end of 2016.

Just installed mine Thursday I too didn't get the worm gear clamps could use a stock one for the the turbo but had to run up to the store and get one. One would think for the price they would forgo the penguin air freshener and maybe throw in $2 in clamps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Thanks for posting the review and write up. Hopefully mishimoto will take a look at this thread and maybe make sure the clamps needed will be in future kits

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Just installed mine Thursday I too didn't get the worm gear clamps could use a stock one for the the turbo but had to run up to the store and get one. One would think for the price they would forgo the penguin air freshener and maybe throw in $2 in clamps.

Bummer about the clamps. How did the install go? Initial thoughts of the product performance?

Thanks for posting the review and write up. Hopefully mishimoto will take a look at this thread and maybe make sure the clamps needed will be in future kits
As I said in my original post, I called Mishi customer service immediately to inform them of the missing parts. Also after starting this thread, I recieved a PM from Mishi. Both interactions included a Mishi rep apologizing and pledging to contact the warehouse about missing/scratched parts. Clearly they didn't catch the first ones to ship, likely unaware of any problems.

Bluedrank

Have you experienced any check engine lights with the adapter? Another member is throwing one with this intake, so I'm curious to see if others are as well.

OP
C
Thread Starter #13
Have you experienced any check engine lights with the adapter? Another member is throwing one with this intake, so I'm curious to see if others are as well.
No check engine light. 2 weeks later and I'm still very happy with the intake.

mishimoto1

Hey guys,

We have pinpointed the problem with the missing clamps and have ensured that future kits will not have that issue again. If you happen to get your package and it's missing clamps, please call our customer service line at 1-866-466-4744 at your earliest convenience and we can have some sent out to you!

Glad the issue has been fixed with the clamps just wish it wouldn't have been an oversight from the get go.

I didn't buy the full intake, but am in on the induction hose pre-sale. I guess there was a slight delay, but holy customer service batman! They just got a bunch more of my business!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As an engineer, that means low priority, 2016 fiesta st wont bring focus RS money onto the table. LOL. Just saying :p. With that said.... I'll wait and hope I'm proven wrong... but... I speculate that my money might move elsewhere if nothing happens before the end of 2016.
Just be glad you were not a member of the 4th gen f body LSx crowd, who were promised, and were waiting on, a cold air intake system from Vararam (the best one on the market for Vettes) in ~2001, and STILL do not have one from them. [:(!]

They just kept 'leap-frogging' EVERY single new domestic muscle car's and truck's intake systems OVER the poor f body's, EVERY SINGLE YEAR without fail. [:(]

With Ford, in all of their genius marketing strategy, trying to make the RS an unobtainable, exotic-like vehicle, with CRAZY low allocations and build numbers, as well as INSANELY outrageous dealer gouging, there are not enough of them out there to cover the cost to develop aftermarket parts for, volume wise.
Unless the aftermarket tuners charge like $1000.00+ for an intake or a charge pipe, OR, maybe hope that Ford comes to their senses and builds as many of them as they can sell, (while BEATING the WRX/STI in sales numbers!).

I may be wrong, but I'm going to take a wild guess that there are MANY MORE FiSTs out there, currently AND going forward, than there will EVER be FoRSes.

Hey guys,

We have pinpointed the problem with the missing clamps and have ensured that future kits will not have that issue again. If you happen to get your package and it's missing clamps, please call our customer service line at 1-866-466-4744 at your earliest convenience and we can have some sent out to you!
Your air intake will fit on 2014 Euro Fiesta ST ?

@OP, are you still running this without CELs? This may be one of the only 2016 intakes that does not appear to cause issues due to the adapter, which seems well-designed. Thanks!