Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto CAI Review (2016)

AZST

Recently picked up a Mishimoto intake for my 2016 ST, and have had it installed for a little more than 1000 miles now. I chose the wrinkle red finish, and I am very pleased with the overall quality of the product. Installation took about an hour; for me, the hardest part was getting the air filter to stay clamped onto the pipe. Removing/reinstalling the rest of the piping was not nearly as difficult as I had anticipated it would be. The first thing I noticed when driving the car was that intake/turbo sounds were significantly more pronounced. Still not very loud with the windows up, but clearly audible and quite enjoyable with the windows down. Not too excessive, but just the right amount to appreciate the sounds of the forced induction. The place where I was most pleasantly surprised was in the category of performance. While I had expected the intake to be just a noisemaker, there is actually a clearly noticeable difference in throttle response. I do not have dyno graphs to indicate any sort of power gain, but the increased pep of the car is definitely beyond placebo. Its not a very significant gain, but definitely one that is noticeable, especially when you are first entering boost. Overall, I am quite pleased with this purchase. 9/10. Would be 10/10 but the airbox is designed so its a bit of a close call when closing the hood. The stand that holds the hood up rubs on the airbox, creating a scuff on the airbox in its normal position.
image2.jpg

Thanks, this review is helpful. I also have a 2016 which is disappointing given the only manufacturers of 2016 compatible CAIs I can find are Mishimoto and MAPerformance. The MAPerformance is around $100 cheaper, so it's tough to justify spending the extra $ for the Mishimoto. What made you decide to go with Mishimoto over the MAPerformance? Also, does anyone know of any other CAIs for the 2016 models (that don't require rigged hoses, piping, etc.)?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #3
The Mishimoto seemed to be more of a "complete" intake than the MAPerformance. The main thing for me is the fact that the Mishimoto has an enclosed airbox, whereas the MA has an open filter, which I have heard is actually detrimental to intake air temperature. It may even end up running less efficiently than the stock airbox with a high flow filter. Of course, keep in mind that this is purely speculation. For me, it came down to the amount of product I was getting for the money; from the looks of it, the MA is not a multi-pipe set up like the Mishimoto is either.

A7xogg

i just purchased a mishimoto intake also, in red also. Looks more promising than i originally thought. The map intake is also a half intake and who wants a half intake?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #5
i just purchased a mishimoto intake also, in red also. Looks more promising than i originally thought. The map intake is also a half intake and who wants a half intake?
Its definitely a better purchase than what I'd expected it would be. I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm definitely thinking about going with this setup. However, I am curious as to whether or not you're experiencing any error codes thrown at you post-install?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #8
I'm definitely thinking about going with this setup. However, I am curious as to whether or not you're experiencing any error codes thrown at you post-install?
Well over 1000 miles now and no error codes.

Well over 1000 miles now and no error codes.
This is good news! Definitely on my radar for certain (hopefully will be able to grab during a sale of sorts). Was there any fix/adjustment that you were able to make with respect to the hood stand rubbing against the airbox enclosure?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #10
This is good news! Definitely on my radar for certain (hopefully will be able to grab during a sale of sorts). Was there any fix/adjustment that you were able to make with respect to the hood stand rubbing against the airbox enclosure?
Unfortunately no, and its continuously becoming more damaged. Nothing that would ever affect functionality, but definitely makes an impact on the aesthetics of the airbox. To be fair, I didn't really put effort into finding a solution. I can't see it being too much trouble to simply find a different place to put the hood stand.

Recently picked up a Mishimoto intake for my 2016 ST, and have had it installed for a little more than 1000 miles now. I chose the wrinkle red finish, and I am very pleased with the overall quality of the product. Installation took about an hour; for me, the hardest part was getting the air filter to stay clamped onto the pipe. Removing/reinstalling the rest of the piping was not nearly as difficult as I had anticipated it would be. The first thing I noticed when driving the car was that intake/turbo sounds were significantly more pronounced. Still not very loud with the windows up, but clearly audible and quite enjoyable with the windows down. Not too excessive, but just the right amount to appreciate the sounds of the forced induction. The place where I was most pleasantly surprised was in the category of performance. While I had expected the intake to be just a noisemaker, there is actually a clearly noticeable difference in throttle response. I do not have dyno graphs to indicate any sort of power gain, but the increased pep of the car is definitely beyond placebo. Its not a very significant gain, but definitely one that is noticeable, especially when you are first entering boost. Overall, I am quite pleased with this purchase. 9/10. Would be 10/10 but the airbox is designed so its a bit of a close call when closing the hood. The stand that holds the hood up rubs on the airbox, creating a scuff on the airbox in its normal position.
View attachment 11046
Are you sure your air box is completely bedded into the rubber grommets/bushings? That step of the install is a bit fussy, making sure the box is lined up properly and pushed down into place. My box is a snug fit, but it doesn't rub against anything. I recommend you check to see if your box is seated properly, if you haven't already done so.

I've been digging the Mishi 2016 intake for about 2000 miles, and I really enjoy it. Definitely an improvement over stock box and drop in filter.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I also recommend checking the box and make sure you actually twist the hood prop down before you clip in the end on the drivers side. It looks like yours isn't flush along the cowl panel like it should be. Mine has no issues and has almost an inch of clearance from the hood prop.

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #14
^ Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

Now throwing a CEL, but nearly positive it's because I broke the clip on the PCV hose about 150 miles ago. Rather expensive hose, too. Car runs as normal still.

This is the one I'm likely going with...town between this and the COBB.
COBB doesnt have an intake for 2016 yet, do they? I haven't seen it anyway.

I am starting to lose patients waiting for CP-E. I might just swing for Mishimoto....

I'm aware COBB doesn't have one yet, but I've read some work-around for this that guys have done adding some fittings and a PCV somewhere or something similar. Ideally, they will pull their heads out of their butts and just offer one for the '16...along with everyone else.

COBB doesnt have an intake for 2016 yet, do they? I haven't seen it anyway.

I am starting to lose patients waiting for CP-E. I might just swing for Mishimoto....
I am told Cobb has their 2016 coming soon. They probably have defined the solution to the 2016 as of this writing and will put into production soon. The Mishimoto seems a viable intake solution just don't care for the aluminum intake tube so much.