Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2017 Ford Fiesta se P0456 evap system trouble shoot

Hello just reaching out to owners of I'm guessing from 2012 to 2019 Ford Fiesta and Focus.
I had check engine light and came up with code P0456 and came up small evap leak!
So did some search about it and it directed me to the capless gas little metal door could be dirty or not sealing properly.so cleaned it and drove car with engine light on and seemed to be ok but when I put gas in car it would shutter like it was going to stall or if you shut car off and gassed up car had trouble starting ! After about a week driving the Engine Malfunction light came on and the car is not drivable by no stretch of the imagination!
I was stumped on how many codes came up so I took one step at a time with eliminating the problem with common sense to not bring in dealership for repair. I'm reaching out to people that warranty had expired and they are forced to take on problems with there car! If you have this code and you notice your check engine light is on and your gas mileage starts to decrease and gassing up and problem starting car after start with the purge valve under hood and change that but it can be hard to find as I had the wrong part delivered and very disappointed! If you choose to buy at Ford it is 300+ $ for Purge valve assembly so it was a scary price for me at least! I went to autoparts and found the valve without the copper hoses as it is a complete assembly part with the hoses! So I cut each end of copper hoses at each end of original valve and used rubber gas line hoses and two small hose clamps available at auto parts and connected it to make it like the original connection as you can say doctored up the part to be vacuum tight! Purge valve is vacuum sealed and functions as vacuum so if its stuck open it will bring a CE Light and can also have the Engine Malfunction warning to render you stuck or without a car! And it will not start up after gassing up and your gas mileage will decrease! It was repaired to be a success! I also replaced my gas pedal that has a sensor connection on it and also replaced the throttle body but both parts are available on Amazon and not scary priced as codes came up to those 2 parts as well! Both parts are easy to replace! The culprit I'm feeling confident to render me carless is the purge valve ! If it's a vacuum line and its leaking you will notice engine not behaving normally and the purge valve is operated as vacuum electrically from the ECU! I felt to reach out with this info to help owners that have these challenged car problems to start with purge valve if you have these signs and also can't pass inspection with check engine light on! Hope this helps out to Ford Fiesta owners!

Davidsas78

im pretty sure my car has the same issues at the moment. are you able to reach out with the procedure (my diy skills are limited)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Need to get the evap system smoked with a smoke machine. This will aid in finding small leaks. You can buy Evap smokers ONline $150-250 Or pay a shop to do it and get the leak repaired.

Jeani

Robert Tuzza THANK YOU! I will give this to the Mechanic . He had the two things right , the throttle body & the Solenoid purge valve. But the EPV CODE COMES UP ALL THE TIME.