Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2020 FiST Tire Options - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

Hi All,

Looking at Tire Rack for new 17" OEM size tires for my FiST.

Anyone try the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4? (OE tire for new C8 corvette). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoYear=2019&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=

I was planning on getting a summer tire...but there aren't that many to choose from in this size anymore.

Other options I'm considering: Pirelli P Zero Nero, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

My car currently has Michelin AS/3...they are toast.

I'm just curious if these new all seasons are as good or better than a so-so summer tire.

These will be for my DD hoon-mobile in San Jose, CA. Planning to do some AutoX next summer too.

Thanks

Jordan

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
More importantly, for a DD/hoonmobile like many of us, downsize to 16" and go 205/45 (only .4" sidewall increase) or 205/50. (1.1" increase and baby smooth ride comfort - for a FiST)

It increases tire choice tremendously...

Last edited:

slopoke

If it were me, I'd get the Firestone's, better price point. The Michelins are all season and the Firestones are ultra high performance summer tires. I'm not sure how either would fare on a autocross session. Good luck.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it were me, I'd get the Firestone's, better price point. The Michelins are all season and the Firestones are ultra high performance summer tires. I'm not sure how either would fare on a autocross session. Good luck.
I second this...I own them. You lose some turn in feel but they are much more comfy than my Michelin A/s 3 and Bridgestones that I've rolled.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
People on the Pilot Sports he is talking 4’s which are a big step up from 3’s . Ya they are more expensive but they are seriously a much better tire than the Firehawks. I personally would not even consider Firehawks. Sure the price point is better but you will also feel that in how they perform. To me losing turn in feel is like a lose lose situation. Turn in feel is a lot of what makes these cars a blast to drive.

I would also add that while they are listed as a UHP they are an older design and tech . Newer tires that perform better are out there for the money.

Friends don’t let friends buy Firehawks. :ROFLMAO:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Buyer and Try'em guarantee...if you don't like them Get the Michelins* Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Please show me how you are calculating that.... here is how I am.

205mm × .45 = 92.25mm
205mm × .40 = 82.00mm
-----------------------------
10.25mm = .4035" more sidewall

205x40 = 3.22"
205x45 = 3.63"
205x50 = 4.03"
205x55 = 4.43"

* Edited to add more sidewall calcs. Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Please show me how you are calculating that.... here is how I am.

205mm × .45 = 92.25mm
205mm × .40 = 82.00mm
-----------------------------
10.25mm

10.25mm = .4035" more sidewall

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
If this is directed at the post I deleted; I thought that you were referencing OVERALL DIAMETER, and when I realized that you were speaking SPECIFICALLY to SIDEWALL HEIGHT, I deleted the post as you are CORRECT about that dimension. [wink] [thumb]

OP
jreederphoto
Thread Starter #10
Lots of good ideas so far.

If I were buying new wheels I would consider 16's too. But not sure it's worth an extra $600+ for a slight improvement in ride.

I'll probably only put 3-4k miles a year on this. So for now I'll plan to keep the factory 17's.

But I sure do like the look/thought of the 15's...and hitting some dirt roads :)

Zormecteon

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tires .. Put the on this summer replacing a set AS2. It rains up here in Western Washington so I need all seasons. The new tires are quieter than the last set. I've run nothing but the Michelins , replacing the wheels and tires (originals in storage) at fewer than 100 miles on the new car. I'm on my third set at about 65000 miles total. I have been totally satisfied with every generation. The car seems to stick as well as my 2015 MX5. Can't really compare to other brands or sizes.
YMMV
My 2¢

CSM

1000 Post Club
I recently had the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 installed on my FRS as my new daily tire in 225/45/17. Costco had a good price and I was able to get them installed for $490 out the door.

I'll share my impressions of them after 2,500 miles, including one road trip to SC and back. I've seen warm weather, cold weather, light and heavy snow, and heavy downpours in these tires. By way of reference I've owned quite a variety of tires on my cars, including Dunlop ZII / ZIII, RT660 Azenis, Continental DWS 06, Pirelli P Zero Nero GT, and Firehawk Indy 500.

What amazes me about the Michelins is that they do everything fairly well, I'll try to break down how they fare in specific conditions below:
  • Warmer Temperatures - In warmer temperatures (e.g., 50+ Fahrenheit), they have pretty good maximal grip for an all season tire. FAR better than my DWS 06 that they replace. Turn in isn't as crisp as a dedicated summer tire, and road noise is a lot quieter than summer tires. I would venture to say that at warm temperatures their maximal lateral grip is probably as good as the Firehawk Indy 500s, or nearly as good. They are absolutely nowhere near grip/performance of a 200TW summer tire, but that is to be expected. I am not a fan of the Pirellis, the Michelins IMO perform better than those P Zero Nero GT in just about every category (I got them as a cheap set of summer dailies to keep mileage off my race tires).
  • Colder Temperatures - below 50F is where these tires shine IMO. You can feel the sidewall stiffen up at the colder temperatures, and turn in vastly improves and response is good. Best way I can describe them is they have a lot of confidence inspiring characteristics at cold temperatures, at colder temps they really feel at their best and behave how a good summer tire behaves in the summer.
  • Rain - Had these in a torrential downpour driving on the interstate - they handle rain like a champ. I gave a few hard stops trying to make the car get squirrely and it handled it well. I've also noticed when trying to kick out the rear end in cold/rainy temps, the Michelins still "stick". Can't recommend these enough for colder temps and rainy conditions
  • Snow - We had a 14" snowstorm in my township a few weeks ago. Took it as an opportunity to try out these Michelins. At lighter snow (<3") they did very well, better than I expected. Not as good as the DWS06 but still incredibly well for how well these tires do in warmer temps. They can handle the lighter stuff just fine, but I noticed during heavier snow when things start to get compacted, they just don't perform as well. But I would not hesitate to drive these in a lighter snowstorm at least during fresh/new snowfall.
If I had to find a negative its that gas mileage seems to really suffer with these tires, at least compared to the DWS 06. Those tires are well known to have very good MPG. I would get 38/39mpg in my Scion on the highway with those tires. But I get about 35/36 on the Michelins. Others have reported similar dropoff in mileage.

TL;DR: Amazing all around tire. Summer performance approaches that of some summer tires, cold/wet weather performance is where they shine. Very impressed. Will continue to use this model/brand as my daily moving forward

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hi All,

Looking at Tire Rack for new 17" OEM size tires for my FiST.

Anyone try the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4? (OE tire for new C8 corvette). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4&partnum=04YR7PSAS4XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=

I was planning on getting a summer tire...but there aren't that many to choose from in this size anymore.

Other options I'm considering: Pirelli P Zero Nero, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

My car currently has Michelin AS/3...they are toast.

I'm just curious if these new all seasons are as good or better than a so-so summer tire.

These will be for my DD hoon-mobile in San Jose, CA. Planning to do some AutoX next summer too.

Thanks

Jordan
I see now you are in San Jose. Yeah - The Michelin Pilot All Season 4s are amazing for an all season tire, but if it were me, I'd take advantage of that awesome climate you live in and get a dedicated summer tire.

I would try either of the following in 215/40/17 on the OEM wheels:
  • Budget Option - Falken Azenis RT615k. These are an older generation 200TW tire. They don't perform as well as some of the newer 200TW tires like the ZIII, etc., but they are a good budget option ~$100each. They are known for more longevity and will outperform the Firehawks. They can take abuse and perform very consistently when pushed.
  • Spendier Option - Dunlop Direzza ZIII - I compete on these and previously ran these year round when I lived in Atlanta. Great mix of longevity and performance IMO. Probably around $150-175 per tire. They will handle rain and colder temps (e.g., 50F) just fine if you don't drive like an idiot

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tires .. Put the on this summer replacing a set AS2. It rains up here in Western Washington so I need all seasons. The new tires are quieter than the last set. I've run nothing but the Michelins , replacing the wheels and tires (originals in storage) at fewer than 100 miles on the new car. I'm on my third set at about 65000 miles total. I have been totally satisfied with every generation. The car seems to stick as well as my 2015 MX5. Can't really compare to other brands or sizes.
YMMV
My 2¢
What wheels are you running these on, another set of factory 17x7s?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I recently had the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 installed on my FRS as my new daily tire in 225/45/17. Costco had a good price and I was able to get them installed for $490 out the door.

I'll share my impressions of them after 2,500 miles, including one road trip to SC and back. I've seen warm weather, cold weather, light and heavy snow, and heavy downpours in these tires. By way of reference I've owned quite a variety of tires on my cars, including Dunlop ZII / ZIII, RT660 Azenis, Continental DWS 06, Pirelli P Zero Nero GT, and Firehawk Indy 500.

What amazes me about the Michelins is that they do everything fairly well, I'll try to break down how they fare in specific conditions below:
  • Warmer Temperatures - In warmer temperatures (e.g., 50+ Fahrenheit), they have pretty good maximal grip for an all season tire. FAR better than my DWS 06 that they replace. Turn in isn't as crisp as a dedicated summer tire, and road noise is a lot quieter than summer tires. I would venture to say that at warm temperatures their maximal lateral grip is probably as good as the Firehawk Indy 500s, or nearly as good. They are absolutely nowhere near grip/performance of a 200TW summer tire, but that is to be expected. I am not a fan of the Pirellis, the Michelins IMO perform better than those P Zero Nero GT in just about every category (I got them as a cheap set of summer dailies to keep mileage off my race tires).
  • Colder Temperatures - below 50F is where these tires shine IMO. You can feel the sidewall stiffen up at the colder temperatures, and turn in vastly improves and response is good. Best way I can describe them is they have a lot of confidence inspiring characteristics at cold temperatures, at colder temps they really feel at their best and behave how a good summer tire behaves in the summer.
  • Rain - Had these in a torrential downpour driving on the interstate - they handle rain like a champ. I gave a few hard stops trying to make the car get squirrely and it handled it well. I've also noticed when trying to kick out the rear end in cold/rainy temps, the Michelins still "stick". Can't recommend these enough for colder temps and rainy conditions
  • Snow - We had a 14" snowstorm in my township a few weeks ago. Took it as an opportunity to try out these Michelins. At lighter snow (<3") they did very well, better than I expected. Not as good as the DWS06 but still incredibly well for how well these tires do in warmer temps. They can handle the lighter stuff just fine, but I noticed during heavier snow when things start to get compacted, they just don't perform as well. But I would not hesitate to drive these in a lighter snowstorm at least during fresh/new snowfall.
If I had to find a negative its that gas mileage seems to really suffer with these tires, at least compared to the DWS 06. Those tires are well known to have very good MPG. I would get 38/39mpg in my Scion on the highway with those tires. But I get about 35/36 on the Michelins. Others have reported similar dropoff in mileage.

TL;DR: Amazing all around tire. Summer performance approaches that of some summer tires, cold/wet weather performance is where they shine. Very impressed. Will continue to use this model/brand as my daily moving forward
IF they made these in a 215/45-16 they would be on my Dekas right now! [thumb]

OR if they made them in a 215/40-17 they'd be on my 17x8 1.2s right now as a daily driver wheel. [wink]

But alas, they just refuse to offer them (or the PS4s for that matter) in ANY size I could possibly use. [:(] [mad]

OP
jreederphoto
Thread Starter #18
I see now you are in San Jose. Yeah - The Michelin Pilot All Season 4s are amazing for an all season tire, but if it were me, I'd take advantage of that awesome climate you live in and get a dedicated summer tire.

I would try either of the following in 215/40/17 on the OEM wheels:
  • Budget Option - Falken Azenis RT615k. These are an older generation 200TW tire. They don't perform as well as some of the newer 200TW tires like the ZIII, etc., but they are a good budget option ~$100each. They are known for more longevity and will outperform the Firehawks. They can take abuse and perform very consistently when pushed.
  • Spendier Option - Dunlop Direzza ZIII - I compete on these and previously ran these year round when I lived in Atlanta. Great mix of longevity and performance IMO. Probably around $150-175 per tire. They will handle rain and colder temps (e.g., 50F) just fine if you don't drive like an idiot
If you go with 215 are there any issues with rubbing etc?