Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/45/16, 205/50/16 or any suggestions of sizes?

Brianmc27

Ah no my RS Pro’s will out perform 615’s lol . In Fact RSR‘s will out perform 615’s. You are comparing Apples to Oranges the ST1 is not in the same class as the the 615’ . The 615 was Falkens old Ultra High Performance tire. While its still available the 660 actually is the replacement and its a much stickier tire than the 615.

Lets get this right here people you cannot compare lower line all season or product lines high performance tires to Ultra High Performance tires. The Falken RT615k was formerly Falkens Ultra High Performance tire.

I should also high and this had been said on this forum before you need to stop reading numbers on the tire sidewall. You should start looking and contact patch widths and tread widths to get a better idea of how wide the tire is on your rim.

Though are set numbers on the side that companies all agree to put on when it comes to manufacturing some companies run narrow some run wide. For instance Bridgestone’s tend to run narrow. So the contact patch and tread width is not going to be as wide as say any of the Federals. In fact Federals run so wide that a 205 is pretty much a 215. Hell my friends 245’s look like 275’s on his 240sx.

This is not so much a prop for Feddy‘s as it a reality check for a lot of the posters in this thread start reading tread width , contact patch, etc... of tires you are looking at . You can find them they are out there. I know I did and its why I put 206/45 Feddys on my Dekagrams.
On and just so you know Falkens run a little wide too not as wide as Feddys but wider than Bridgestone‘s.
Friend put RT615K‘s on his dekagrams in 215/45 and had switch from lowering springs to coil overs due to rubbing aka had to readjust height.
Its why you always look at the details rather than just reading sidewall numbers.
Sure, but those numbers are a great guide if you don’t have first or second hand experience with every tire ever made.

Also, I said the 615s are a bit better performers than the ST-1s (200tw vs 300tw).

The 660s, in my opinion, are not all that practical compared to the 615s. By all accounts they wear a lot quicker than the 615s and make a worse daily.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I saw that the Accelera Phi R are available in 215/45/16 as well. I don’t really see anyone rocking them though... I saw one FiST featured on Fitment Industries with a set on. It looks like it sits very well.
That is the SINGLE ONLY other all season tire made in that size besides the much more costly Vredestein Quadrac 5s.

I was going to try them, but I just could not get past the no name, 4th tier thing.

I will admit though, that they DO 'look' better than the Vredesteins, aesthetics-wise. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ah no my RS Pro’s will out perform 615’s lol . In Fact RSR‘s will out perform 615’s. You are comparing Apples to Oranges the ST1 is not in the same class as the the 615’ . The 615 was Falkens old Ultra High Performance tire. While its still available the 660 actually is the replacement and its a much stickier tire than the 615.

Lets get this right here people you cannot compare lower line all season or product lines high performance tires to Ultra High Performance tires. The Falken RT615k was formerly Falkens Ultra High Performance tire.

I should also high and this had been said on this forum before you need to stop reading numbers on the tire sidewall. You should start looking and contact patch widths and tread widths to get a better idea of how wide the tire is on your rim.

Though are set numbers on the side that companies all agree to put on when it comes to manufacturing some companies run narrow some run wide. For instance Bridgestone’s tend to run narrow. So the contact patch and tread width is not going to be as wide as say any of the Federals. In fact Federals run so wide that a 205 is pretty much a 215. Hell my friends 245’s look like 275’s on his 240sx.

This is not so much a prop for Feddy‘s as it a reality check for a lot of the posters in this thread start reading tread width , contact patch, etc... of tires you are looking at . You can find them they are out there. I know I did and its why I put 206/45 Feddys on my Dekagrams.
On and just so you know Falkens run a little wide too not as wide as Feddys but wider than Bridgestone‘s.
Friend put RT615K‘s on his dekagrams in 215/45 and had switch from lowering springs to coil overs due to rubbing aka had to readjust height.
Its why you always look at the details rather than just reading sidewall numbers.
OK, given, but some of us are more concerned with SIDE WALL height, and the greater protection given to the wheel on absolutely SHITTY roads with the 215/45, vs. a 205/45 (a 225/45 would be even better yet, save for the even MORE limited options, and ONLY 100, or 200 tread wear stickies available in that size, as well as rubbing/fitment issues), and NOT all that concerned about 'stretch', or even actual tread width at that point.

Albeit yes, I believe that the op, and some others did bring up the visual stretch factor more than once. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK, given, but some of us are more concerned with SIDE WALL height, and the greater protection given to the wheel on absolutely SHITTY roads with the 215/45, vs. a 205/45 (a 225/45 would be even better yet, save for the even MORE limited options, and ONLY 100, or 200 tread wear stickies available in that size, as well as rubbing/fitment issues), and NOT all that concerned about 'stretch', or even actual tread width at that point.

Albeit yes, I believe that the op, and some others did bring up the visual stretch factor more than once. [wink]
See but here is where and the others completely misjudge. If you think I am not concerned about sidewall height than you misjudge me drastically.

If these guys think a wide 205 with a over 8 inch or over section width on a 8 inch wheel is stretch they would not know stretch if it hit them in the face. Its not and has never been, Tire companies love to play it safe and recommend the tire for all intensive purposes a 1/2 less wide than most section widths. Yet some run true to size others go wide.. If you measure a 205 tire that has a 8 inch section width you will realize it comes out to aspect ratio of more than 205. knowing that makes one wiser at buying tires.

I would not run a 205 if it was not 8 inch or more section width on a 8 inch wheel. Plus in 45 you will have more sidewall height than stock.,
He specifically rallied on about 615k’s and n 215/45 which 660’s are available in as well. He seems to have a particular distaste or judgement of the 660 perhaps he has run them I suspect he has not . I will be running them in 215/40 17 on my car.

Its just like all these guys on the Indy 500 bandwagon sure they are cheap sure they are ok they are not great and worse than what came on cars. Sorry but there are better choices and spending a bit more can get you there. I am not sure you guys bought your cars for. Mine is meant for daily driving but fun daily driving and it can take and handle high end tires well so why not use them. As much as people call the RE50’s ok tires they are better than what a lot of people seem to be choosing as alternatives sorry I am not going to cheap out on tire choices with this car. I would recommend a Direzza III over a 615K. in fact.
Oh and they both come from the same parent Sumitomo tires.

All I was doing was stating fact that people should not judge a tire by what it says on the sidewall and his argument about it being a great starting point is ill founded. I have first hand experience with lots of cars where the sidewall numbers should have fit but did not and it varied by brand. I posted to educate so people could go about it a little more wisely its really not rocket science and could really benefit all.

OP
FiestaST27
Thread Starter #25
See but here is where and the others completely misjudge. If you think I am not concerned about sidewall height than you misjudge me drastically.

If these guys think a wide 205 with a over 8 inch or over section width on a 8 inch wheel is stretch they would not know stretch if it hit them in the face. Its not and has never been, Tire companies love to play it safe and recommend the tire for all intensive purposes a 1/2 less wide than most section widths. Yet some run true to size others go wide.. If you measure a 205 tire that has a 8 inch section width you will realize it comes out to aspect ratio of more than 205. knowing that makes one wiser at buying tires.

I would not run a 205 if it was not 8 inch or more section width on a 8 inch wheel. Plus in 45 you will have more sidewall height than stock.,
He specifically rallied on about 615k’s and n 215/45 which 660’s are available in as well. He seems to have a particular distaste or judgement of the 660 perhaps he has run them I suspect he has not . I will be running them in 215/40 17 on my car.

Its just like all these guys on the Indy 500 bandwagon sure they are cheap sure they are ok they are not great and worse than what came on cars. Sorry but there are better choices and spending a bit more can get you there. I am not sure you guys bought your cars for. Mine is meant for daily driving but fun daily driving and it can take and handle high end tires well so why not use them. As much as people call the RE50’s ok tires they are better than what a lot of people seem to be choosing as alternatives sorry I am not going to cheap out on tire choices with this car. I would recommend a Direzza III over a 615K. in fact.
Oh and they both come from the same parent Sumitomo tires.

All I was doing was stating fact that people should not judge a tire by what it says on the sidewall and his argument about it being a great starting point is ill founded. I have first hand experience with lots of cars where the sidewall numbers should have fit but did not and it varied by brand. I posted to educate so people could go about it a little more wisely its really not rocket science and could really benefit all.
That’s it Dpro! I’ve had it! You just talked me into getting the Feddy RS-Pros!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That’s it Dpro! I’ve had it! You just talked me into getting the Feddy RS-Pros!
wow sarcastic overreaction? :ROFLMAO: You might want to get RT6660’s :ROFLMAO: Oh and if money is no object AO52’s all day everyday:love:

Seriously you should read up on the tires then make your decision. Its great to ask about them here but in the end research and data are the key. ‘
Oh and ya whatever you do don’t buy the Indys:ROFLMAO:

OP
FiestaST27
Thread Starter #28
wow sarcastic overreaction? :ROFLMAO: You might want to get RT6660’s :ROFLMAO: Oh and if money is no object AO52’s all day everyday:love:

Seriously you should read up on the tires then make your decision. Its great to ask about them here but in the end research and data are the key. ‘
Oh and ya whatever you do don’t buy the Indys:ROFLMAO:
Haha no no, just having a little fun! 😁 money isn’t so much an issue; I’m just afraid that tires like the A052 are just a bit too aggressive for my taste. I do have an appointment at R Compound on Friday and I did ask them about the Indys at the time of scheduling. I know they stock the tires you mentioned though lol I have been making Tire Rack my friend lately when it came to all the specs, which hasn’t really helped me make up my mind either, but I am looking up info on other sites as well. But really, I do appreciate your input very much!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Haha no no, just having a little fun! 😁 money isn’t so much an issue; I’m just afraid that tires like the A052 are just a bit too aggressive for my taste. I do have an appointment at R Compound on Friday and I did ask them about the Indys at the time of scheduling. I know they stock the tires you mentioned though lol I have been making Tire Rack my friend lately when it came to all the specs, which hasn’t really helped me make up my mind either, but I am looking up info on other sites as well. But really, I do appreciate your input very much!
Ya they rock over there at R Compound its unfortunate they cannot get the RT660 thank you Tire Rack. But ya they are good and there is a lot of tire experience there as well.

OP
FiestaST27
Thread Starter #30
Ya they rock over there at R Compound its unfortunate they cannot get the RT660 thank you Tire Rack. But ya they are good and there is a lot of tire experience there as well.
Oh yeah, it’ll be my first time there. A buddy of mine told me about them; so I’d thought I’d check them out. Plus they seem super reasonably priced compared to the big named tire shops. Can’t wait!

OP
FiestaST27
Thread Starter #31
Just wanted to give everyone an update! Love the way everything came out! 205/50/16 Firehawk Indy 500s on my Dekagrams!

Attachments