Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/45r16 or 205/50r16 on Bilstein B6

Ant0n

Hey, what's the better setup for DD on the bad roads, and fun on the back roads?
1. 205/50r16 on Bilstein B6/stock springs
2. 205/45r16 on Bilstein B6/Mountune, Cobb... With less drop.
Thinking to get Dekagrams or Sparco Terra 16x7.
Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This might even come down to WHICH actual tire you choose within each of those sizes.

I have the Dekas, wrapped in 205/50-16 Neo Gens, on the full factory suspension currently, and it does rub, but only at full lock, or close to full lock and at low speeds (at least that I notice it/hear it), and sometimes when it nose dives under hard braking at a stop sign/light, again only from lower speeds. [dunno]

I am almost sorry I did not get the 205/45 Neo Gens instead now, yes, even though the ride would not be as 'cushy', and the fender gap would look ridiculous on the factory suspension.

The factory springs on fresh B6es might just raise it enough that ANY 205/50-16 would NOT rub, under ANY conditions/scenarios. [wink]

OP
A

Ant0n

Thread Starter #3
This might even come down to WHICH actual tire you choose within each of those sizes.

I have the Dekas, wrapped in 205/50-16 Neo Gens, on the full factory suspension currently, and it does rub, but only at full lock, or close to full lock and at low speeds (at least that I notice it/hear it), and sometimes when it nose dives under hard braking at a stop sign/light, again only from lower speeds. [dunno]

I am almost sorry I did not get the 205/45 Neo Gens instead now, yes, even though the ride would not be as 'cushy', and the fender gap would look ridiculous on the factory suspension.

The factory springs on fresh B6es might just raise it enough that ANY 205/50-16 would NOT rub, under ANY conditions/scenarios. [wink]
Thanks for the answer! Why you chose Dekas over Terra's? I personally like the looks of terra's on the fiesta, but I think quality and light weight on the Dekas side, and I saw some bended terra's even on this forum.. these stop me to get them.

Thanks for the answer! Why you chose Dekas over Terra's? I personally like the looks of terra's on the fiesta, but I think quality and light weight on the Dekas side, and I saw some bended terra's even on this forum.. these stop me to get them.
Probably just personal preference.

Keep in mind a 205/45R16 will have over 10mm (approx 1/2 inch) more side wall than the stock 205/40R17 while a 205/50 will have over 20mm (4mm less than an inch) of additional sidewall. The End result at that point is probably gonna be a negligible difference and is more dependent on the speed rating of the tire you use and you dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've never seen a bent Terra on here, but I could have missed that. [dunno]

There is a Limited 2WD class rally crew from Washington state competing in ARA rallies on the Terras on gravel stage roads, and they have not bent/destroyed one yet, as far as I know. [wink]

I also love the look of the Terras on these cars, but I was not going to pay $30.00 more per wheel for a one inch narrower, but 5 pound heavier wheel, and I also love the way the Dekas look on these cars as well, but yes, everyone and their great grand aunties now have them, so much for 'exclusivity'. [:(]

The advantage (besides a possibly cushier ride) of putting a 205 on a 7" wide wheel is that NO installer would either question this, or outright REFUSE to mount them like they could/possibly would on an 8" wide wheel.
(I had to pay a local tuner shop, the ONLY ONES in my area who were willing to mount a 205/50-16 on a 16x8, over $200 to do this! [crazyeye])

Fiestig

I have had 205/50/16 on 16x7 Slipstreams for a couple years now. Never had a rub even at full lock either direction with stock suspension

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The Neo Gens (is that what you have?) are very wide in both tread width, AND section width for a 205, and having them on an 8" wide wheel makes them even more effectively wider. [wink] [:(]

But yeah, this could also be because I suspect that I have a factory damper going bad/already bad, since it seems to be only on the passenger side, at least for the locked turning scrape/rub.

Brianmc27

I like the tire, unfortunately traction isn't quite as wonderful here. Just not warm enough to benefit with regular driving
I was stationed at DLI at the Presidio for 2 years - literal mist and fog 11 months a year.

kevinatfms

For me if i could do it over again...

16x8 Dekagrams w/ 225/45R16 Nankang NS2Rs on Bilstein B14 coilovers. Adjust the height to be as low as you can without rubbing.

You could also get away with them on B6's/stock springs.

I am working up to B14's and the 225's from the current B8/swift combo and 205/45's. More tire, more spring rate and monotube front dampers are going to be a significant upgrade.

OP
A

Ant0n

Thread Starter #13
Thanks guys! So my setup will be Bilstein B6+Mountune springs on Dekagrams wrapped in 205/45/16 BFG sport comp2 summer. Will post photo after installation.

My BFG sport comp 2 a/s are so noisey, how are those? Looking forward to how your car sits I’m trying to do the same suspension setup.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For me if i could do it over again...

16x8 Dekagrams w/ 225/45R16 Nankang NS2Rs on Bilstein B14 coilovers. Adjust the height to be as low as you can without rubbing.
That is one of the only 225/45-16 tires I would have chosen instead of the Yoko A052s on my second set of summer ONLY Dekas, and it (along with their AR1) is the tread width CHAMP in that size (and most other sizes as well). [thumb]

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it is not XL load rated in that size, whereas their AR1 is in that size. [???:)]

I don't know that I would chance ANY lowering at all, given an almost 24" tall, and 8.5" [crazyeye] tread width, tire, on a 40ET wheel!

kevinatfms

That is one of the only 225/45-16 tires I would have chosen instead of the Yoko A052s on my second set of summer ONLY Dekas, and it (along with their AR1) is the tread width CHAMP in that size (and most other sizes as well). [thumb]

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it is not XL load rated in that size, whereas their AR1 is in that size. [???:)]

I don't know that I would chance ANY lowering at all, given an almost 24" tall, and 8.5" [crazyeye] tread width, tire, on a 40ET wheel!
That is why im hoping 15x8's will be out. A 225/45R15 is nearly 1" shorter and fits perfectly in the wheel well yet has the same tread width. I want that grip and if no one will make a 15x8 then ill stick with my already purchased wheels and start beating the fenders in.

I dont want to beat the car up but at this point im tired of hearing this platform wont be supported by wheel manufacturers in sizes that actually have tire choices. Konig seems to be on board somewhat and hopefully if enough interest comes about they will see that ALOT of Fiesta guys(not just the ST people) will want affordable 15x8" wheels for track days/events.

Last edited: