Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2222632 17" rims on 2019 Fiesta ST

AleFenno

Hello, I have a question.
Checking the Fordshop website I see this nice 17" rims available "FIESTA 17" ALLOY WHEEL 7J X 17" 10 SPOKE GRAPHITE MATTE 2012- ONWARD" with code 2222632.
They specifically say that can be put on a 2019 Fiesta model, with the exception of the ST model (mine).
Why is that?
I asked them why and were not able to give me a real explanation.
I want to get them and put on a 205/45 R17 tyre. I don't see what could go wrong.

Can someone explain to me if Ford is crazy and such rims actually would work on my car or not.

Thanks very much.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Hello, I have a question.
Checking the Fordshop website I see this nice 17" rims available "FIESTA 17" ALLOY WHEEL 7J X 17" 10 SPOKE GRAPHITE MATTE 2012- ONWARD" with code 2222632.
They specifically say that can be put on a 2019 Fiesta model, with the exception of the ST model (mine).
Why is that?
I asked them why and were not able to give me a real explanation.
I want to get them and put on a 205/45 R17 tyre. I don't see what could go wrong.

Can someone explain to me if Ford is crazy and such rims actually would work on my car or not.

Thanks very much.
Post a link please so we can see full specs

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are the Mk8 ST's brakes bigger than the Mk7's, mandating that they use an 18" wheel??
(That does not seem to make sense though, as I am sure that many Mk8 ST owners '-1' down to a 17" wheel, albeit one with a usable offset. [???:)])

OP
A

AleFenno

Thread Starter #5
Are the Mk8 ST's brakes bigger than the Mk7's, mandating that they use an 18" wheel??
(That does not seem to make sense though, as I am sure that many Mk8 ST owners '-1' down to a 17" wheel, albeit one with a usable offset. [???:)])
I don't know actually, but again, looking the Ford shop I can find 17" wheels that say can be put on my 2019 Fiesta ST. So why they say that specific incredibly beautiful Ford Performance rims cannot go on my car? I mean, everything "Ford Performance" should be able to go on an ST, why the heck not those 😂
Cannot really wrap my head around it.

Dialcaliper

I don't know actually, but again, looking the Ford shop I can find 17" wheels that say can be put on my 2019 Fiesta ST. So why they say that specific incredibly beautiful Ford Performance rims cannot go on my car? I mean, everything "Ford Performance" should be able to go on an ST, why the heck not those 😂
Cannot really wrap my head around it.
Those look like they should fit just fine. Theres no real difference to the front suspension components on the Mk8, and while the calipers are made by ATE instead of TRW, the rotors and clearance should be roughly the same (and compatible with 16” and possibly even 15” wheels)

The only apparent criteria for “compatible” is because that the wheels on that ford performance UK website are limited to strictly the same as the OEM wheel size and fit the OEM size tires.

17x7 et47.5 and 18x7.5 et42.5 basically occupy the same envelope.

The one caveat is that the Mk8 ST uses a slightly larger diameter tire in a larger wheel well, and if your goal is to match you’d want a 205/45R17, not the Mk7 ST’s 205/40R17.

Your other option would be a 16” wheel in 7, 7.5 or 8” width) and either a 205/55R16 or possibly a 225/50R16

OP
A

AleFenno

Thread Starter #7
Those look like they should fit just fine. Theres no real difference to the front suspension components on the Mk8, and while the calipers are made by ATE instead of TRW, the rotors and clearance should be roughly the same (and compatible with 16” and possibly even 15” wheels)

The only apparent criteria for “compatible” is because that the wheels on that ford performance UK website are limited to strictly the same as the OEM wheel size and fit the OEM size tires.

17x7 et47.5 and 18x7.5 et42.5 basically occupy the same envelope.

The one caveat is that the Mk8 ST uses a slightly larger diameter tire in a larger wheel well, and if your goal is to match you’d want a 205/45R17, not the Mk7 ST’s 205/40R17.

Your other option would be a 16” wheel in 7, 7.5 or 8” width) and either a 205/55R16 or possibly a 225/50R16
Ahh now I see what's going on. Basically the Ford shop website doesn't want you to choose anything that might change even the slightest the stock measures of the car. Thus the problem is not that the whell will not work, is just the offest, which for the MK8 Fiesta ST is 42.5 standard, while that freaking wheel has it of 47.5...
So the wheel will actually be 5mm more inwards than usual.. That's it. Not tragic, but not good either.
Maybe I should put on some 5mm wheel spacers to compensate?
Any suggestions? No idea which brand is the best, don't care about money, I want the best wheel spacer possible.

Dialcaliper

Ahh now I see what's going on. Basically the Ford shop website doesn't want you to choose anything that might change even the slightest the stock measures of the car. Thus the problem is not that the whell will not work, is just the offest, which for the MK8 Fiesta ST is 42.5 standard, while that freaking wheel has it of 47.5...
So the wheel will actually be 5mm more inwards than usual.. That's it. Not tragic, but not good either.
Maybe I should put on some 5mm wheel spacers to compensate?
Any suggestions? No idea which brand is the best, don't care about money, I want the best wheel spacer possible.
The centerline of the tire will be 5mm farther in, but in terms of the wheel rim, the Mk8 that’s 7.5” instead of 7” wide (12-13mm wider), the inner clearance to control arms and such will be the same.

Interestingly, looking at actual tire specs (Tire Rack website is handy for this) - 205/40R18 tires are actually very slightly narrower section and tread width than 205/40R17’s (both reference installed on a 7.5” wide rim)😵

And the 205/45R17 I mentioned are even narrower - you’d actually want a 215/45R17 to get the right diameter and width to physically match the stock Mk8 tires.

Your other option is that unless you have some good reason, ignore the rather expensive Ford Performance shop, and for a similar price get some good quality aftermarket 17x7.5 et40 or 17x8” et35 (or et38) wheels.

On a Mk8 ST with 8” wheels, it looks like you might be able to squeeze a 235/40R17 without rubbing, but do some more research first. Also, I’m not sure if that will cause issues with vehicle inspections in your country. Worst case keep your old wheels and tires around

Also worth noting, Pumaspeed sells 15x7” wheels that claim to fit the Mk8 and Mk8.5, so some 15” and most if not all 16” wheels will also fit

Last edited: