Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J intercooler review

twolf

[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] do you have any ducting on your DHM setup? If so, can you post some pics?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to stick the car together before I could do the ducting, I am going to do it now that the car is apart waiting for the GT turbo swap.

I will be working on it soon and posting picks as I go.

AzNightmare

Block the top of the IC behind the bumper beam so air does not go up over the top, has to go into the IC instead. Do the sides, bottom, etc around the lower grill inlet up tight to the bumper cover, air that is allowed to go around the IC will end up being of not much if any use to the cooling of the car, add drag, etc...

The more you force air through the coolers the better they will perform.
Would using something like foam blocks works? Does the intercooler get hot? Would you be able to put plastic or objects against the IC itself?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I like ABS plastic as it holds shape once you heat and form it the way you want it.

Ridged foam could work but you have to figure out how to keep it in place with all the air pressure against it, I have used it in some places on vehicles, semi ridged worked well also.

The IC will not get hot enough to melt at least most if not all plastics.

The top and bottom plate on the IC is solid aluminum, using a stop sleeve on a drill bit you can drill 1/8" holes and rivet the ABS to the top, bottom if needed, no worries as long as careful to not damage the passage by going to deep. I did this on the J'Line, will likely do so on the DHM.

If worried about that you can likely use the top grade 3M trim tape instead, it handles heat on a windshield holding on mirrors, etc which is probably much hotter.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
is that a refrigerant scale? lol, nice, what do you do?
Yep lol. I'm a service tech for a company called Taylor products. Went to school for hvac. Basically I fixed equipment made by Taylor. Ice cream machines, slushie machines, fast food grills, frozen margarita machines, batch freezers, milkshake & smoothie machines. Mainly all food equipment. It's all refrigeration, electrical, and a bit of plumbing. Jack of all trades, master of none lol

AzNightmare

Thanks for putting it on the scale.
That's pretty light then. Much lighter than I had expected from a IC that looks quite big.
I guess the OEM one must be like 5~ lbs?

So is that a bar and plate design or fin and tube?

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
oh, cool. My dad runs a pretty popular Youtube channel on HVAC stuff.
What is his channel? I'll subscribe. I'm always trying to stay up to date just in case I ever need to look for work again. Ha

twolf

What is his channel? I'll subscribe. I'm always trying to stay up to date just in case I ever need to look for work again. Ha
It's T&N Services, but it's mostly residential stuff. He gets like a $1000 check from youtube every month from ad money, it's pretty cool.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Thanks for putting it on the scale.
That's pretty light then. Much lighter than I had expected from a IC that looks quite big.
I guess the OEM one must be like 5~ lbs?

So is that a bar and plate design or fin and tube?
Stock cooler just weighed. 4lb 11oz

Appears to be tube & fin. This is the best shot I could get trying to hold a mirror and flashlight and phone with 2 hands lol. Can anyone confirm?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
[Anyone painting theirs Black? Or leaving the Dull finish? I would love for someone to post a DIY. As a local shop wants 2.8hrs of labour time[nono]