Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

6.5” sub recommendations

I’ve been out of the audio game for quite a while as my Jeeps weren’t worth putting better quality systems into.

Have my rear seat deleted so I figured I’d start with some 6.5” subs see how they do for better sound. What are the good brands these days. Came up on JL, MTX, Kove, Kicker etc

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I spoke with an audio installer about the JL audio speakers and he said they are a good product due to their components being produced specifically for audio whereas many other brands use electronic components and materials that are general purpose.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
JL Audio or Sundown all day if you don't care about taking up trunk space. I went with the cheap Pioneer downward facing sub and enclosure combo below because it fits underneath the false floor (in the higher position) and didn't compromise cargo space. JL Audio amp under the passenger seat. You certainly won't hear any bump outside the car with this combo, but it's better than typical factory subwoofers by a wide margin.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-GE0uHC8pYCW/p_130DSW80D/Pioneer-UD-SW80D.html

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #4
I was thinking of using the 6.5 subs in the rear doors. I have the rear seat delete so when it’s time to go big sound I’m just going to raise the entire platform and build a box underneath.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I was thinking of using the 6.5 subs in the rear doors. I have the rear seat delete so when it’s time to go big sound I’m just going to raise the entire platform and build a box underneath.
You’ll likely have to use a paper cone sub (OEM style sub) if you want to place them in the doors. I’d recommend just waiting until you can do the under rear seat delete box. That’ll be incredible.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #6
You’ll likely have to use a paper cone sub (OEM style sub) if you want to place them in the doors. I’d recommend just waiting until you can do the under rear seat delete box. That’ll be incredible.
im thinking a pair of tens will work nicely. One of my guys use to be a cabinet maker so he’s gonna take care of the box for me.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I had to replace the full size spare with a donut spare from a lower trim Fiesta to make room for the minimum internal volume for the speaker. IMG_0750.JPG
1686663944305.png

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I originally had quite a few photos of the box but they seem to have been deleted. I am friends with the guy at the stereo shop who made it and was helping the whole time. I do not have the measurements at the moment but I can this weekend get you some external measurements of it. The woofer itself is recessed quite a ways to keep it from extending outside the box much when it is working. My gut feeling is that the internal volume is not quite what it should be but I was not going to question the pro. With that said, if you were to do it yourself, I would take the concept and do your own measurements/design to get it just right.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I originally had quite a few photos of the box but they seem to have been deleted. I am friends with the guy at the stereo shop who made it and was helping the whole time. I do not have the measurements at the moment but I can this weekend get you some external measurements of it. The woofer itself is recessed quite a ways to keep it from extending outside the box much when it is working. My gut feeling is that the internal volume is not quite what it should be but I was not going to question the pro. With that said, if you were to do it yourself, I would take the concept and do your own measurements/design to get it just right.
I’m totally clueless about this stuff so I’ll likely just take it to a pro as well and ask em to figure it out.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I went the route I did because the subwoofer itself is very shallow, so would fit in a flat box. Anything under a seat would have the same issue. If cargo space is a non-issue and you are OK with having a premade box sit on top of the cargo shelf, then the field is wide open.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anything is better than nothing, but these typically have a mediocre amp from what I understand. But I understand minimal about audio so take that FWIW.
To an extent that is true but some are built well with a good class D amp. Also, our cars are tiny inside so it won't take much to fill the space with bass. I've been down the road of big 12" enclosures and 1,000+ watts and I'm kinda over it - and with two kids in college, so is my wallet!

This past xmas I got a gift certificate which i used for a set of Hertz DSK 170 63/4" for the front doors. NOT AT ALL what i would recommend for bass as they are purpose built mids but my plan is to eventually fill in the bottom end with the powered 8". I'm going for fidelity on a budget.

And OP, don't forget a quality sound processor to flatten the wacky EQ curve from the OEM setup. I've got my eye on the JL Audio FiX™ 82. I looked at the FIX 86 for the front/rear fading but it's outta my budget. But if you're going with separate amps for front/rear/sub then it's highly recommended.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #18
To an extent that is true but some are built well with a good class D amp. Also, our cars are tiny inside so it won't take much to fill the space with bass. I've been down the road of big 12" enclosures and 1,000+ watts and I'm kinda over it - and with two kids in college, so is my wallet!

This past xmas I got a gift certificate which i used for a set of Hertz DSK 170 63/4" for the front doors. NOT AT ALL what i would recommend for bass as they are purpose built mids but my plan is to eventually fill in the bottom end with the powered 8". I'm going for fidelity on a budget.

And OP, don't forget a quality sound processor to flatten the wacky EQ curve from the OEM setup. I've got my eye on the JL Audio FiX™ 82. I looked at the FIX 86 for the front/rear fading but it's outta my budget. But if you're going with separate amps for front/rear/sub then it's highly recommended.
I thought the LC7i was the consensus favorite Audio controller. I’ll see if I can find comparisons to it vs your suggestions

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I’ve been out of the audio game for quite a while as my Jeeps weren’t worth putting better quality systems into.

Have my rear seat deleted so I figured I’d start with some 6.5” subs see how they do for better sound. What are the good brands these days. Came up on JL, MTX, Kove, Kicker etc

Do you mean 6.5 in woofers? Subs are a different animal and would require modding the audio program. Replacing the woofers with something more efficient would be a simple swap. Just try to closely follow the replacements T/S parameters to the original if they have been tested and published. Not sure what you are looking for but the thread is pushing subs.

OP
Commando81
Thread Starter #20
Do you mean 6.5 in woofers? Subs are a different animal and would require modding the audio program. Replacing the woofers with something more efficient would be a simple swap. Just try to closely follow the replacements T/S parameters to the original if they have been tested and published. Not sure what you are looking for but the thread is pushing subs.
yeah I mean like a mid range woofer. I’ve dove into the carav subReddit and Diymobile looking around.
Thought process for speakers right now is component set up front, 6.5” mid ranger woofers in the back doors and a shallow mount 10” sub. Thinking Sundown for the speakers. Amps undecided