Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

OP
A
Thread Starter #182
Update: Lost the October Fiesta of the Month by 3 votes. Bummer.

BUT, I did get my Stratified tune and let me tell you... way way way better than the Cobb OTS 93 Oct Stage 1.

At first glance it runs a lot more boost in gears 3+. 1 and 2 it seems to run a little over 21 psi I guess for traction and then upwards of 26 psi in higher gears. The car is definitely quicker and holds more torque and power longer it feels like. AFRs are still I the 11s which seems a bit conservative for a modern turbo engine (I was thinking high 12s low 13s would be fine with direct injection).

I will do another datalog graph this week and overlay that to compare boost and AFR to the stock and Cobb OTS tunes.

My only complaint with the Stratified tune, if any, is the throttle is a bit hypersensitive. I like a somewhat lazy throttle pedal because it's easier for me to modulate on the track.

Lastly...the exhaust crackles...don't do them with a muffler delete. It ends up sounding like straight-up hoopdie backfire. I had to stop on the way to work and load the alternate tune without the crackles it was so bad.

hey man, just so you know, i'm going to copy everything about your car ;)

but seriously, how do you like the spoiler extension? is it noticeable enough? i'm wavering between wing risers and the maxton extension. think you could post a side profile and rear 3/4 shot from eye level?

OP
A
Thread Starter #185
I voted for ya, and it did look like you were going to take it for a while there. [:(]
Thanks! Yeah...almost had it. Oh well. I'll just have to run again once I've worked on the car some more.

hey man, just so you know, i'm going to copy everything about your car ;)

but seriously, how do you like the spoiler extension? is it noticeable enough? i'm wavering between wing risers and the maxton extension. think you could post a side profile and rear 3/4 shot from eye level?
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

Love the spoiler extension. Wasn't feeling anything else on the market. It is subtle but noticeable nonetheless. You could always do both. I wasn't sure about the risers since it leaves an unfinished looking gap. I'll see if I can dig up some more angles of the car.

OP
A
Thread Starter #186
Update: Just got an absolutely smoking deal on a Mountune intercooler. I was trying to find a Peron but apparently it is virtually the same core and the Peron is being redesigned so it is sold out everywhere. This was in the US and cheaper to boot.

I wanted a tube and fin because it is A) lighter and B) has a quicker recovery time compared to bar and plate so is preferable for road racing.

I'm now tempted to further plunge myself into debt to grab the DHM crash bar since I'll need the bumper off for both installs.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Update: Just got an absolutely smoking deal on a Mountune intercooler. I was trying to find a Peron but apparently it is virtually the same core and the Peron is being redesigned so it is sold out everywhere. This was in the US and cheaper to boot.

I wanted a tube and fin because it is A) lighter and B) has a quicker recovery time compared to bar and plate so is preferable for road racing.

I'm now tempted to further plunge myself into debt to grab the DHM crash bar since I'll need the bumper off for both installs.
Do it! Too bad you got your Strat tune already! Could have gotten a sexy stage 2 goinnnaa[emoji350]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wanted a tube and fin because it has a quicker recovery time compared to bar and plate so is preferable for road racing.
Has this been substantiated with data/datalogging, and 'common knowledge' by many different sources, or is it speculation on theory?? [dunno]
(I am SERIOUSLY asking for knowledge's sake, NOT being snide/sarcastic!! [nono])

OP
A
Thread Starter #190
Has this been substantiated with data/datalogging, and 'common knowledge' by many different sources, or is it speculation on theory?? [dunno]
(I am SERIOUSLY asking for knowledge's sake, NOT being snide/sarcastic!! [nono])
I read numerous online sources comparing tube and fin to bar and plate. The consensus seemed to be that tube and fin was more expensive but allowed more airflow through to the radiator while recovering more quickly from heat soak yet lighter weight (half the weight...so I hear). For bar and plate, it can produce better cooling temporarily (like a dyno pull or 1/4 mile) but being thicker material it takes longer for the heat to dissipate. Seemed legit enough for me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only big drawback I can see to tube and fin is that it is MUCH MORE susceptible to damage than a bar and plate type IC, from rocks/stones (everywhere) and salt particles (up here in Yankeeland), and huge Palmetto Bugs (down there in Dixie), unless one puts a fine mesh screen over the lower bumper intake. [:(]

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I read numerous online sources comparing tube and fin to bar and plate. The consensus seemed to be that tube and fin was more expensive but allowed more airflow through to the radiator while recovering more quickly from heat soak. For bar and plate, it can produce better cooling temporarily (like a dyno pull or 1/4 mile) but being thicker material it takes longer for the heat to dissipate. Seemed legit enough for me.
Just so you all know, the difference in terms of heat soak dissipation between bar and plate and tube in fin will probably be unnoticeable on our size intercoolers. I have a Cobb FMIC which is Bar and Plate and If I'm sitting in traffic I've seen my charge air temps hit up to 121 degrees Faranheit when the ambient temp is 94 degrees. Once I'm moving the temp plummets pretty quickly. I'll have to log to see how quickly it does, but It's fast. For noticeable differences in temp dissipation, I think you'd have to go with FMIC the size of the DHM Race which does take a noticeable amount of time to dissipate heat, although it also keeps your charge temps way lower than anything else out there.

OP
A
Thread Starter #194
The Mountune FMIC came in today. Not sure when I will have time to install it but hopefully very soon.

In other news, I've been thinking about an intake solution. I like what CPE has done but I'm not at all interested in paying $400 for an intake.

What I'm thinking about doing is modifying the stock airbox in a similar fashion (I'm not exactly sure where they are getting the gains...maybe cooler air...but they are getting 10whp and 20wtq on a Stage 3 car). Something like this:

- Drop in filter upgrade (Cobb, Mountune etc...)
- Wrap airbox, snorkel, and intake tube in heat reflective foil tape
- 3" Flange/hole in airbox bottom with heat-taped brake ducting to either fog light opening or new opening next to fog light trim

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
The Mountune FMIC came in today. Not sure when I will have time to install it but hopefully very soon.

In other news, I've been thinking about an intake solution. I like what CPE has done but I'm not at all interested in paying $400 for an intake.

What I'm thinking about doing is modifying the stock airbox in a similar fashion (I'm not exactly sure where they are getting the gains...maybe cooler air...but they are getting 10whp and 20wtq on a Stage 3 car). Something like this:

- Drop in filter upgrade (Cobb, Mountune etc...)
- Wrap airbox, snorkel, and intake tube in heat reflective foil tape
- 3" Flange/hole in airbox bottom with heat-taped brake ducting to either fog light opening or new opening next to fog light trim
My .02 worth of reasoning for the power increase, is not so much in the airbox design as it is in the size of the piping being 3" all the way as opposed to the factory intake tubing which has all sorts of accordion sections and is only 2.4" at the turbo inlet. My Mishimoto Cold air which is similar to the CP-E in design also has a closed airbox, saw my intake temps go up slightly since install, yet my car made almost 1psi more boost which I attribute to more air being pulled in by the wider piping. I would be interested in seeing of the CP-e intake has higher IAT than stock. If so, this would make my assumption on the piping make sense.

OP
A
Thread Starter #196
Several updates...

Bad news first...got busted by the 5-0 this morning in Atlanta. First time I've had a ticket anywhere near this magnitude (31mph over...seems too high, I don't recall going 86mph) in 14-15 years. There goes my theory of a grey economy car blending in...

Good news:

I stayed up late last night and:

- Installed Mountune FMIC (+2.86 lbs --- 7.50 lbs Mountune vs 4.64 lbs stock)
- Deleted full washer reservoir (-8.00 lbs)
- Deleted 1 of 2 horns and dual horn bracket (-0.69 lbs)
- Deleted radiator shroud flaps (-0.15 lbs)

I'm not sure what to think of the Mountune. The weight is impressive. My theory was correct and it is only marginally heavier. With the DHM crash bar, it will result in a decent net weight loss in front of the tires. BUT...a third gear pull from 2K showed a 40F rise in charge temps. I was able to double the ambient temp doing a 1-5th roll. Cruising I'm seeing 3-6F over ambient. I'm either expecting too much or this thing, which hardly appears bigger than stock, is not that effective. Thoughts?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Isn't this the same as Cobb? MTC? Depo?
Just curious why mountune?

My .02 worth of reasoning for the power increase, is not so much in the airbox design as it is in the size of the piping being 3" all the way as opposed to the factory intake tubing which has all sorts of accordion sections and is only 2.4" at the turbo inlet. My Mishimoto Cold air which is similar to the CP-E in design also has a closed airbox, saw my intake temps go up slightly since install, yet my car made almost 1psi more boost which I attribute to more air being pulled in by the wider piping. I would be interested in seeing of the CP-e intake has higher IAT than stock. If so, this would make my assumption on the piping make sense.
Yeah ive been leaning this way....drop in filter, silicone or aluminum piping and a velossatech big mouth seems like it might be the way to go....?

OP
A
Thread Starter #199
Isn't this the same as Cobb? MTC? Depo?
Just curious why mountune?

It's tube and fin not bar and plate. Those others are bar and plate.

I wouldn't have considered it because of the cost but I got it brand new for just over $400 which was better than Peron and theirs is out of stock anyways. I wanted tube and fin for the lighter weight and track day advantages.