Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AccessPort Question: Filename of stock map when Uninstalling AP?

iso100

1000 Post Club
For those of you with an Accessport: When you back up the stock map, is the original, factory filename retained? I'm curious about what happens when/if I "remove" the AP and the dealer looks at the settings via the Delphi scanner.

I've read elsewhere that there's no history of flashes, just the current map name. As long as that map name is the same as stock, we should be fairly safe from cursory investigations, no?

References from other threads; nothing conclusive:

The short answer is no, not really. There are very few instances where a dealer would feel the need to find out if you had a flashed ECU. Now IF they have the $10,000 + Delphi tool and a tech who is trained to use it they can dig around and detect if the car has been flashed. Most dealers don't want to buy this tool since it's not something that is used or needed very often.

If there was a serious warranty situation your ECU could be mailed to Ford for inspection and they would be able to tell in all likelihood if they dug into it.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I believe that if you uninstall the AP, then the original map is rewritten back to the ECU.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
That's what I'm hoping... that it literally just rewrites everything back the way it was before it was backed up and replaced.

This might also be why the average MPG readings go haywire since it's comparing historical data with ECU values that no longer are in sync.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
If you back up your AP to a PC you will see as I have the factory tune is stored as a ROM file name not as the normal PTM COBB file name extension...

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
If you back up your AP to a PC you will see as I have the factory tune is stored as a ROM file name not as the normal PTM COBB file name extension...
So is that supporting what I was guessing or something different?

I haven't flashed yet but want to, badly. I'm having a hard time getting the fools at my local dealership to sit in and listen to my transmission issue first. I don't want to give them an excuse to void my powertrain warranty at only 1000 miles.