Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Adjustable Endlinks for Swift Spec-R?

I've had swifts on the Fiesta for nearly 3 years now, and its time to replace the front endlinks. Can anyone confirm if the oem links are fine, or should I go with adjustable to avoid possible pre-load from the 1" drop?

Last edited:
OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #3
I figured.
I was worried stock endlinks would add some preload. Not that I wanted to add preload.

I was wondering about this too. Lowered it about an inch and a half so not sure that causes preload in the sway bar or not. Heard that it does.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #5
I just want to know if it’s better to have adjustable endlinks even if you only drop the car about 1 inch. The swift springs don’t drop the car any further than 1 inch.

Dialcaliper

Having had the car at various ride heights in the front including using adjustable perch heights, it seems like our really long end link on strut setup are not very sensitive to preload - it helps that we don’t have much normal adjustment besides toe on the front.

Had other cars with double wishbone setups that use adjustable cam bolts for camber/caster and rubber bushing end links (no balljoint end links like ours) and in those cases the end links are essential for any non-stock setup to the point that sometimes you can’t even get both ends of the sway bar connected without either adjustable links or preloading one side with a jack.

YMMV

felopr

I personally never heard of preloading sway bar components unless you doing something drastic like nascar where one side is higher than the other.

The swaybar and endlinks needs to flow with the ups and downs of the struts on both side. If you preload it, its could lead to immature wear on bushings or bind somewhere along his travel and if you are taking a corner while that happens its not going to be a fun time

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #8
I personally never heard of preloading sway bar components unless you doing something drastic like nascar where one side is higher than the other.

The swaybar and endlinks needs to flow with the ups and downs of the struts on both side. If you preload it, its could lead to immature wear on bushings or bind somewhere along his travel and if you are taking a corner while that happens its not going to be a fun time
I edited the OP since it seems people think I wanted to add pre-load, I don't. I'm just curious if the 1" drop is adding pre-load since I'm still using stock end-links.

kevinatfms

I edited the OP since it seems people think I wanted to add pre-load, I don't. I'm just curious if the 1" drop is adding pre-load since I'm still using stock end-links.
Are you confusing preload with the adjustable end links to set angle/level of the sway bar at ride height?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I just want to know if it’s better to have adjustable endlinks even if you only drop the car about 1 inch. The swift springs don’t drop the car any further than 1 inch.
From the CRZ forum I am on, another member uses adjustable endlinks with an HPD suspension which is about 1/2 inch drop from OEM. He adjusted the endlinks minimally but it did place the joints at the same angle as before the suspension change. Needed probably not, ideal....yes.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #11
Are you confusing preload with the adjustable end links to set angle/level of the sway bar at ride height?
No? I would think because factory and links are longer that they would add more load to the swaybar if you are dropping the car in inch and not adjusting the links. I’m hoping that’s not the case though. If someone is aware or can dispel this because right now it’s just an observation I don’t know a way to measure with household tools.

kevinatfms

No? I would think because factory and links are longer that they would add more load to the swaybar if you are dropping the car in inch and not adjusting the links. I’m hoping that’s not the case though. If someone is aware or can dispel this because right now it’s just an observation I don’t know a way to measure with household tools.
Just the endlinks being longer does not add preload unless it is already there. Shorter or longer end links would add/subtract angle of the sway bar at rest.

Preload would be a side to side variance(load condition) of the sway bar at rest.