Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Airbag Stickers from hell

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but could someone please give me some tips or ideas as to how I can remove the airbag stickers on the sun visors??

CanadianST

It's really more trouble than it's worth honestly.

(Copied from the Focus ST fourms)
"Using a q-tip and rubbing alcohol (I recommend 91% as the 70% doesn't cut the adhesive as well) start rubbing the edge of one of the corners of the airbag sticker, you should be able to pry the edge up after a minute or so of applying the alcohol.

Once you have the edge up keep a steady tension on the sticker (as though you are trying to pull it off) and use the qtip (you will go through multiple qtips for the entire sticker) to "saw" through the adhesive on the back of the sticker dragging the qtip along the exposed glue on back side of the label."

There were other warnings that you're just as likely to ruin the visor as get the sticker off as it's actually ironed on at the factory not just a simple sticker.

cxwrench

Yeah, those things are near impossible to remove cleanly and w/o doing at least some minor damage to the visor. It's almost like they wanted to make them hard to remove...[coolsmile]

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I would try an electric iron, set on about medium to soften the adhesive, then start pulling at one corner. Place the iron into the opened corner and press to get the sticker off.

If you have steam, that will also help, if not, take a cloth and wet it, then place the cloth over the sticker, then iron the sticker to get it hot, then peel.

I did it. Started with a moistened scotch brite pad to rub off all the ink (it'll block the solvent, especially the yellow ink). Then soaking them in goof-off (the decent stuff, not the stuff in plastic bottles) until the vinyl for the actual shade became baggy. Then pick at it, liberally applying more goof-off any time it showed signs of drying. Took a lot of time and patience, but it looks pretty decent.

Originally I had just planned on picking some up from another market that didn't have the stickers so I figured it'd be no real loss if I did any damage. There's still a slight outline where the sticker was and I accidentally got a little solvent on the plastic covering the mirror on one of them which left little white marks. All in all it was good enough that I'm just sticking with these now.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
Thanks a ton for all that! does seem like a lot of touchy work. I wish they didnt put them on the outside of the visor!!
Maybe Ill just find some duct tape! LOL
I took it to a detailer and he couldnt even figure it out, said he would destroy the visor trying so I said forget it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
OR,
You could just cover the sticker with black vinyl as I did.

Dave