Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

all out on tires?

so my complaint about my st is that its a little rough and i could do without all the little vibrations so i want taller tires or even the aluminum 5 spokes from a lower model that i really like actually and get tires to match the og wheel size and also i think the only mod i want for my fiesta is to just keep my extended warranty and go all out on tires Michelin pilot super sport = ? they dont make them for the fiesta but is their a "if cost is no factor" tires for these? not gonna track it but i want grip and how does this question fair with the smaller rims?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
If cost is no option buy slicks all the time. Or more realistically Trofeo R or A052.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Lots to unpack here.
A taller tire on a smaller diameter wheel will help.
However, picking an aggressive tire with a stiff sidewall will kind of just put you back at square one after spending a bunch.

If you want near factory levels of grip. And can handle the slight slop that a summer tire would have as opposed to a UHP summer tire. Id look at those when pairing with a set of wheels.

( best ride i had was on some 16X7 wheels with a set of no name summer tires) it rode nice and stayed close to stock for grip.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
but a slightly taller more aggressive tire be more compliant on all the little things which is what I'm looking for?
and

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Thankyou. Guys I’m super interested in the trafeo r’s mostly I’ve herd of them on motor trend lol. I like that these crazy tire aren’t to much cuz their so little.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
The guy at the dealership said that I can go to a 50 side wall without issue? The lesser fiesta wheels aren’t as wide😔

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The Nankang 100/200 tread wear stickies are also pretty good, and a bunch less coin than all of the big name gumballs. [wink]

You can check out their specs, and prices on philstireservice.com
The trick is finding them in sizes for our cars. I was looking into those the do not make any if at all sizes in their Ultra high Performance tires that fit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They do make two models (a 100 and 200 tread wear) in a 225/45-16s, which I am sorry I did not get instead of the A052s in that size, except that they are an even WIDER tread width than the Yoks, so have even more chance of rubbing, even at factory ride height. [:(]

They have their NS-2R in (VERY WIDE tread width) 215/45-16, which looks to be a VERY 'streetable' 200 tread wear tire, and decent in the rain tread pattern (for us non-southwestern dwellers) and their 100 tread wear AR-1 in a 215/40-17, which is THE WIDEST tread width, non-full road race slick available in that size.

But yeah, we are talking about ALL 100/200 tread wear gumballs, NO high(er) thread wear 'street' tires, or all seasons at all. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
^^^They do make two models (a 100 and 200 tread wear) in a 225/45-16s, which I am sorry I did not get instead of the A052s in that size, except that they are an even WIDER tread width than the Yoks, so have even more chance of rubbing, even at factory ride height. [:(]

They have their NS-2R in (VERY WIDE tread width) 215/45-16, which looks to be a VERY 'streetable' 200 tread wear tire, and decent in the rain tread pattern (for us non-southwestern dwellers) and their 100 tread wear AR-1 in a 215/40-17, which is THE WIDEST tread width, non-full road race slick available in that size.

But yeah, we are talking about ALL 100/200 tread wear gumballs, NO high(er) thread wear 'street' tires, or all seasons at all. [wink]
I do not find them everywhere though because I checked Phils tire and they had no 40 series in 17 that would fit our cars. They did have the 215/45 and 225/4516.
So they do me no good as I need a 17 40 series for my 17 inch wheels hence going RT660’s or AO52’s.

I will have to ask my boys at R Compound what they think the NS2R there also seems to be a lot of conflicting data on the TW rating as Phils claims there was an older 120 version vs 200 yet other sites are listing them as 180 TW what gives with that?

This all is kind of mute subject though as I am putting a set of 17’s together and the there are no Nankings in 17 that I can use. lol

Maybe after my RS Pro‘s wear out I will consider them for my Dekagrams.

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
TOYO TIREPROXES R888R205 /40 R17 84W XL BSW
Item# 40830

$165.00/ea
aperently 100 tread ware tire is good for aprox. 30,000 miles? that sounds good to me
not any taller tho
In your first post you say you want taller sidewall because your car is bumpy and you don't want to track it but you want more grip.

The Toyo tire you linked is a track focused tire. Based on your first post this is not a good tire for what you want to do.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No way on this Earth that will last 30,000 miles.

I'm going to give you a tip tire warranties mean absolutely nothing.

Discount tire has a tire calculator on its website that you can play with, so you can see how the speedometer will change based on the tire size you pick.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do not find them everywhere though because I checked Phils tire and they had no 40 series in 17 that would fit our cars. They did have the 215/45 and 225/4516.
So they do me no good as I need a 17 40 series for my 17 inch wheels hence going RT660’s or AO52’s.

I will have to ask my boys at R Compound what they think the NS2R there also seems to be a lot of conflicting data on the TW rating as Phils claims there was an older 120 version vs 200 yet other sites are listing them as 180 TW what gives with that?

This all is kind of mute subject though as I am putting a set of 17’s together and the there are no Nankings in 17 that I can use. lol

Maybe after my RS Pro‘s wear out I will consider them for my Dekagrams.
Yeah, I did not actually check current stock, just that they MADE something in a given size, which A LOT of the 'majors' just flat out refuse to produce.

But yes, their (215/40-17) AR-1 does appear to be a VERY 'UN-streetable' tire, between the 100 tread wear compounding, and the (BARELY) 'cut slick' tread pattern (again, for us who live where it rains at all [wink]), but they ARE VERY WIDE in tread width.

That being said, IF I decide to keep, and re-paint my 17x8 pro race 1.2s, I would be very happy to put some 215/40-17 A052s on them, as long as I can get the same reduced price deal for them from Discount Tire that I got for my 225/45-16s. [wink]

Nankang's new CR-1 appears to be a less co$tly, A052 rip off (to the point where I am surprised that Yok does not SUE them for copyright infringement), same almost exact tread pattern, and 200 tread wear rated.

But yeah, VERY limited size releases so far, NONE of which we could possibly use, and who knows IF they ever will release more. [dunno]

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
Discount tire has a tire calculator on its website that you can play with, so you can see how the speedometer will change based on the tire size you pick.
Personally I never cared if my speedo gets thrown off and so generally don't factor that into my tire buying decision. I generally drive at the speed limit or 5 over, so a few mph off over/under doesn't really bother me. Plus my Google Maps has a GPS speedometer read out which is nice.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Personally I never cared if my speedo gets thrown off and so generally don't factor that into my tire buying decision. I generally drive at the speed limit or 5 over, so a few mph off over/under doesn't really bother me. Plus my Google Maps has a GPS speedometer read out which is nice.
I definitely care big deal to me. I can live with you know maybe two miles an hour off at 70/80, but definitely will not run a 205 45 17 throws it off too much.

I don't drive slow so I need to be able to monitor my speed. I don't want to be thinking constantly that my speedometer is not telling the truth.

Sorry buddy but you drive like a blind old man when it comes to speed. I normally do about 10 miles an hour over that's my normal everyday driving. I just hope you don't hog the left lane driving that slow.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk