Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

aluminum rings, aftermarket wheels, aluminum corrosion

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Lots of that white aluminum corrosion. Cleaned everything up already with some mother's. Do you guys do anything to address it? I was watching something on youtube where they were talking about that copper antiseize increasing corrosion between the aluminum ring/wheel and rotor face (which is what i use).

I could possibly use a plastic ring but these actually came with the wheel as part of the hardware kit from OZ racing.

Interested to hear if you ignore it or maybe using a different antiseize like the silver nickel stuff?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I use white lithium grease without any problems (but I also park my FiST in the winter). Anti-seize has an abrasive that I don't think is necessary. You just need to keep salty water out and grease will do that well.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #3
I use white lithium grease without any problems (but I also park my FiST in the winter). Anti-seize has an abrasive that I don't think is necessary. You just need to keep salty water out and grease will do that well.
I should have mentioned I store it in the winter as well with these particular wheels in the house. I was surprised at the amount of powder that formed in such a short time.

I may pop the rings out and give em a wipe down with the white lithium grease then put them back in.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I should have mentioned I store it in the winter as well with these particular wheels in the house. I was surprised at the amount of powder that formed in such a short time.

I may pop the rings out and give em a wipe down with the white lithium grease then put them back in.
I'm not really all that careful - I wipe off the old stuff and smear a big glob on the rings pretty regularly (my wheels are on and off frequently). The white power is aluminum oxide and it just happens. If you clean it off, more will form. The grease does a good job at preventing the aluminum from "rusting." The difference between aluminum oxide and iron oxide is that aluminum oxide actually protects the aluminum under it whilst iron oxide is porous and does not protect the raw iron/steel under it.

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I just use high temp disc brake bearing grease that I've had in a tub in the garage for over 30 years. Smear it on the ring before fitting it when I put the snow tires on each winter. Haven't seen any corrosion yet..

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just use high temp disc brake bearing grease that I've had in a tub in the garage for over 30 years. Smear it on the ring before fitting it when I put the snow tires on each winter. Haven't seen any corrosion yet..
I just use the 3M silicone paste from the brush cap tin which I have handy on the shelf, which is what I will also use for the factory brake caliper slider pins as well.

Since I do not open track this car, I opted for the plastic center bore rings to fit my Dekagrams (no chance of them actually melting), so I do not have to worry about any 'cold welding' one might get with the alloy ones.

But the rust from the hubs/rotors sometimes still causes even the plastic rings to stick onto the hub bore lip, which is a slight inconvenience when swapping onto my 63.4/OEM center bore, hub centric wheels.

I am hoping that the new Whoosh coated rotors, once installed will at least lessen the propensity of this happening. [wink]