Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Am I screwed in the long run?

Hey guys!

My car had 54 miles on it and had been test driven several times by probably everyone that worked at the dealer and a customer or 2.

What if they red lined it? I just got done reading some break in tips for the first 1K miles. I have no idea what it has been though for those first 54 miles and no one is going to tell me the truth.

I have driven it to 3500 4K shift points since I have taken delivery. Car now has 245 miles in 3 days of owning it. After reading what I have read if this car was red lined by the sales men or a customer just taking a "not planning to buy it" type test drive I could be screwed in the long term. :(

I am going to change the oil and continue to shift like I have been and hope for the best but right now I am sad...

You should be fine, I bought mine with 33 miles on it, 3 of those were me hooning it during the test drive, spinning the tires, red lining it, etc. I now have 3k on it in the span of 3 months and everything is fine. Changed my oil at 1.5k with Amsoil and everything is smooth! Also, over 2k of the miles have been tuned

OP
dannyrevs
Thread Starter #4
I have the Fiesta ST supplement guide here in front of me now that came with the car manuals.

BREAK IN... It just says Your vehicle does not need a extensive break in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

It says nothing about red line or DO NOT exceed 4k RPM or anything like that, so I guess I will stop worrying. Thanks for the replies guys!

Chuckable

Hey guys!

My car had 54 miles on it and had been test driven several times by probably everyone that worked at the dealer and a customer or 2.

What if they red lined it? I just got done reading some break in tips for the first 1K miles. I have no idea what it has been though for those first 54 miles and no one is going to tell me the truth.

I have driven it to 3500 4K shift points since I have taken delivery. Car now has 245 miles in 3 days of owning it. After reading what I have read if this car was red lined by the sales men or a customer just taking a "not planning to buy it" type test drive I could be screwed in the long term. :(

I am going to change the oil and continue to shift like I have been and hope for the best but right now I am sad...
Yes, it's all over. Just trade the car in for a huge loss and walk away. [mecry]

Kidding! Like others have said, don't worry! From what I've read the break-in process is as much or more for the gearbox and brakes than it is for the engine itself. Have fun with your ride [twothumb]

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I think I redlined a few times on my way home from purchasing the car. Hadn't gotten rid of the Honda driving habits quite yet ;)

Dumped my oil at 1500miles and have driven it like I stole it since. Couldn't resist on the test drive though

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
The whole supposed "break-in" process has been highly debated for a long time. Especially with newer, tighter engine clearances, I seriously doubt driving mildly or heavy for the first 1,000 miles would make much difference. Drive like normal around town, occasionally go WOT for a few seconds here and there and you'll be fine.

OP
dannyrevs
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for making me NOT SAD ANYMORE GUYS! She is a blast to drive even when you drive slow it feels fast being so low to the ground.