Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Apple Announced CarPlay For Use In Fords

I just learned that Apple intends to introduce their CarPlay feature for use in multiple car entertainment systems, including Ford. Looks like might be able to replace some of the malfunctioning Sync/MFT functionality with Siri based connectivity through our car's interface. Here is a link to the article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454446,00.asp

Is this enough to get folks into iPhones that already don't have them?

Perry

If they get it to "just work", I'll be all over it.

Perry

Is Apple really that much better? My Motorola Droid 4 does everything I ask of it...just wondering
Dunno. My only experience with Android is indirect, through phones used by my son and daughter. Each remains an Android user, with my daughter on a new Google Nexus and my son on an aging, looking to be updated, Samsung Galaxy S3. Both like their phones and services. Wife and I and many co-workers, etc. use iPhones, and we've got Mac computers at home, and I use an iPad 3 as well. Being so deeply immersed in the "ecosystem" arising out of Cupertino comes from a long history of finding that Apple devices, etc., "just worked" much better than the competition. I do not know if that continues to hold true, but my experience up to now is good enough I have no desire to muck with things. If I can continue to enjoy things working and playing well together and pay Apple to continue doing what it's doing whenever I need a new device or service, I'm likely to do so. I don't want to have to think much about these sorts of things--I want them to "just work".

Shmi

Is Apple really that much better? My Motorola Droid 4 does everything I ask of it...just wondering
Depends on the Android phone, really. Since each manufacturer has a different way of handling the OS you can get very different results. Sticking with the 'purest' version of Android, the naked one without any frills offered by Google directly through their play store (Nexus 5, and also own a Nexus 7 tablet), it works wonderfully for me.

I did use an iPhone for years and it does everything great, too. For the most part it just works, and easily syncs everything with iTunes or if you own a Mac then with OS X. Lacks in customization, though, and the Nexus line of phones offer things I value more over iPhones (NFC payments, wireless charging, customization, widgets, add-ons, etc).

Which is amusing to me, since I use two Macs at home. I love OS X and am willing to pay the premium just for the operating system, but simply prefer Android over IOS, personally.

Im using Siri right now to send texts messages....I use MFT to listen as it notifies me about the incoming text, but MFT will not send out my reply....
I just hit my button on my phone and Siri comes through my speakers and at first...I'm thinking the voices from mft and Siri are very similiar!.
So for now, Im pretty happy with the setup....I like the fact that i can control the climate with my voice while I'm doing the clover-leaf off/on ramps at insane speeds...then answer a call from my parents on how to turn the DVD on...again....for the millionth time....lol

Shmi

then answer a call from my parents on how to turn the DVD on...again....for the millionth time....lol
Hahaha I've done this so many times Hahah.. "Mom.. Mom OK pick up the remote. No the other one. No the narrow longer one. Yes. Yes it says Phillips. Press source. Source. SOURCE. OK. Yes. No. No. Press it again. No you pushed it three times you have to go back. Again. OK. Ok the other remote now. The DVD remote. Yes. That one. Ye-no. No. Sony. The white one. Yes. Press power and you should be good. Yes... Y.... Yes. Love you too." :rageface:

Hahaha I've done this so many times Hahah.. "Mom.. Mom OK pick up the remote. No the other one. No the narrow longer one. Yes. Yes it says Phillips. Press source. Source. SOURCE. OK. Yes. No. No. Press it again. No you pushed it three times you have to go back. Again. OK. Ok the other remote now. The DVD remote. Yes. That one. Ye-no. No. Sony. The white one. Yes. Press power and you should be good. Yes... Y.... Yes. Love you too." :rageface:
OMG, story of my life! LOL

This would be great if they updated our 2014's with carplay since I don't have the Nav option, and it doesn't look like Ford is going to offer it as a later upgrade.

I doubt there will be any such upgrade. Apple has very specific requirements for its interface. If Ford decides to offer carplay, it will be for future model years.