Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are Special Tools Required to Repair the Fiesta ST?

First time post.

I currently drive a Mazda Miata (also race a Formula Ford) and am considering purchase of either a GTI, Focus ST, or Fiesta ST. My first on track car was an '04 SVT Focus which was a great car.

My long time mechanic told me not to purchase a Fiesta ST because it can only be serviced at a Ford dealership due to the fact that "special tools" are required to perform much of the service/maintenance which can obviously be very expensive. He says that independent mechanics hate them. Is this true?

I've test driven the Fiesta and Focus ST's and my only complaint about the Fiesta is that the seats are a little tight for me (6'/185lbs). I know that the Fiesta has been highly reputed in Europe, in reviews and comparisons. The Focus ST seats fit me better but there is the infamous 'torque steer' issue. Although the GTI is a highly regarded 'hot hatch,' it is in another price range.

Thank you for your experienced opinions, answers and recommendations.

Bikeflyride

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm dam near fully bolted and haven't used a single "special" tool. The only oddity in my experience being removing the cowling to get to the struts. but the car is so small it's too be expected. Otherwise, this car has been totally normal to work on. I'd even dare say easy. But then again a brand new car usually is.

As for maintenance... I've changed my oil 3 times and it's a bitch only because the clearance is so tight. but a regular filter wrench... nothing special. A few guys have done brake jobs without anything out of the ordinary. brakes do need the rear pistons turned to depress it but most cars do these days.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
There's a special tool for setting cam timing... That's all that comes to mind.

Some Guy On The Internet

Oil changes are easy for me with just a jack and jackstands. You can flip that hose clip around another way that is in the way of the oil filter. That makes it a bit easier to get it out. I can unscrew the oil filter by hand by grabbing it with a rag. I haven't done a ton of stuff, but it doesn't seem like there's anything that would require any special tools that any real mechanic wouldn't already own.

If you don't fit in the Recaro seats, they are optional so you could go with the standard seats. They aren't near as good, but then if you don't fit in the Recaros it wouldn't be real comfortable to drive.

A good set of metric sockets and wrenches and a set of torx bits should cover damn near everything you'll ever need to do on a FiST

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Cam sprocket holders, cam holders, crank sensor alignment tool.

Reverse torx for some of the studs. And a really big reverse torx for the alternator stud.

Def not a big deal at all really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
Fiesta ST Dudes,

Thanks to all for your maintenance experience, opinions, and suggestions. Maybe I'll fire my mechanic - if I get an ST.

How about some more opinions? The F. ST is highly regarded, but why it over the Focus ST, or a GTI (aside from the obvious price advantage)? The F ST is way more 'practical' than my recent Honda S2000 and present NB Miata driver which both had/have tight seats - similar to the F. ST. For those suggesting I lose some weight, I fit into my Swift DB-1 FF, but addressing the 'tighter' seat and more interior room of a Focus or GTI, why is a F. ST you guys choices?

bikeflyride/R.M.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Much lighter weight, (plus it's a lot easier/less costly to shed what weight is there) so it takes much less extensive power mods to be equally as quick, with much less strain on the drive train. ;)

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
Thanks, M-Sport.

Lighter weight, makes sense. I presume they can out handle a Focus or GTI too despite higher G force ratings of Focus/GTI, plus the Focus ST is always criticized for bad torque steer. Not so the Fiesta. In European rallies, and elsewhere, are Fiestas in more competitions than Focus'?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Like most here, I've had a history of some heavily modded, fast cars. I arrived at a point in my life where i just couldn't sustain the gas guzzling, pavement rippers anymore. Kids are nearing college and fatherhood dictates that I sacrifice some hobbies. I even sold my bikes. The FiST represents an option by which i can still scratch my itch to mod but at a way more reasonable cost of entry.

It was also very important that i get significantly better gas mileage as a tank every 3-4 days was getting old fast. Now i can make it two weeks on a tank without hypermiling and still get a nice push back into my seat when the mood strikes. While not the fastest car I've ever owned, by far the most fun and still fast enough to put a big ass grin on my face just this very morning. The Focus ST fuel economy is nowhere near what this tiny econobox can pull off. And the FiST is waaaaay more tossable. There's something intoxicating about driving a small car fast that never gets old. But you and your Miata already know this. Not having driven a Miata i would guess that the FiST is akin to it but with a hatch. If you go up a class in size, i think you'll miss flinging a light weight around corners.

And when I have my wife's minivan up in the air for whatever reason, she's taken the FiST to grocery shop and has zero complaints. The exact opposite actually. She wants me to buy a FoRS so she can keep the FiST. lol. It is really practical enough for most errands. I have stuffed my teenage kids in the rear for long trips and while they still prefer the minivan, they fit just fine. And their bitching quickly turns to excitement when i carve a highway off ramp or back road.

My initial disposition was that I was taking one step back, for an eventual two steps forward. Small car, small engine, a fuckin FORD?! lol But little did i know that this car would turn out to be one of my all time favorites amongst some really great cars. Not since my MKIV .:R32 (another classic, imo) have i day dreamed at work about driving my car! I'm a year into ownership and still i sit back in the seat while driving to reflect on how great this lil car truly is. Great gas mileage, style, speed, handling and practical...In my book, nothing on the road touches it. Maaaaybe the 2nd gen JCW Mini's.

I suggest you find a local ST meet and drive a modded one. I bet you'll fall for it instantly.

Like most here, I've had a history of some heavily modded, fast cars. I arrived at a point in my life where i just couldn't sustain the gas guzzling, pavement rippers anymore. Kids are nearing college and fatherhood dictates that I sacrifice some hobbies. I even sold my bikes. The FiST represents an option by which i can still scratch my itch to mod but at a way more reasonable cost of entry.

It was also very important that i get significantly better gas mileage as a tank every 3-4 days was getting old fast. Now i can make it two weeks on a tank without hypermiling and still get a nice push back into my seat when the mood strikes. While not the fastest car I've ever owned, by far the most fun and still fast enough to put a big ass grin on my face just this very morning. The Focus ST fuel economy is nowhere near what this tiny econobox can pull off. And the FiST is waaaaay more tossable. There's something intoxicating about driving a small car fast that never gets old. But you and your Miata already know this. Not having driven a Miata i would guess that the FiST is akin to it but with a hatch. If you go up a class in size, i think you'll miss flinging a light weight around corners.

And when I have my wife's minivan up in the air for whatever reason, she's taken the FiST to grocery shop and has zero complaints. The exact opposite actually. She wants me to buy a FoRS so she can keep the FiST. lol. It is really practical enough for most errands. I have stuffed my teenage kids in the rear for long trips and while they still prefer the minivan, they fit just fine. And their bitching quickly turns to excitement when i carve a highway off ramp or back road.

My initial disposition was that I was taking one step back, for an eventual two steps forward. Small car, small engine, a fuckin FORD?! lol But little did i know that this car would turn out to be one of my all time favorites amongst some really great cars. Not since my MKIV .:R32 (another classic, imo) have i day dreamed at work about driving my car! I'm a year into ownership and still i sit back in the seat while driving to reflect on how great this lil car truly is. Great gas mileage, style, speed, handling and practical...In my book, nothing on the road touches it. Maaaaybe the 2nd gen JCW Mini's.

I suggest you find a local ST meet and drive a modded one. I bet you'll fall for it instantly.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way. My initial purchase of my FiST was with extreme apprehension. Coming from Subaru's(WRX's and STI's) I thought I was taking a huge step down from what I drove. Boy was I wrong! This car has reminded me of the fun I had with small cars and has brought me to the conclusion that I don't need a "fast" sports car to have fun driving. I haven't gone to the track yet but I would imagine that my opinion will not change.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks, M-Sport.

Lighter weight, makes sense. I presume they can out handle a Focus or GTI too despite higher G force ratings of Focus/GTI, plus the Focus ST is always criticized for bad torque steer. Not so the Fiesta. In European rallies, and elsewhere, are Fiestas in more competitions than Focus'?
The Fiesta is the ONLY model (but the 3 door version, NOT our 5 door version, except for some of the R2 class 1.0 Ecoboost models, which can be 5 doors) which Ford currently rallies in almost any/every arena, except for; Global, World, British, and European Rally Cross, where the Focus is also used (but those cars are even further yet from street form than the various rally spec/class versions).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My initial disposition was that I was taking one step back, for an eventual two steps forward. Small car, small engine, a fuckin FORD?!
Unlike pretty much everyone else on here (save for the possibility of the Mustang faithful), I bought this thing BECAUSE it WAS/IS a "fuckin FORD"!! LOL

NO MATTER HOW great it was, I would not be driving it right now IF it had a; Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda/Scoobie/Hyundai/Kia/etc. nameplate on it. [nono]

I'm also a Ford person. I like small cars and have no problem getting into them, but I also like power and handling. I modified my previous car (2003 Ford ZX2) to handle alright and put out more power than it came with, but it wasn't as good at either as the Fiesta ST is in stock form. It's practical as a daily with good storage space for groceries and such. It makes great gas mileage even when I'm on the throttle a lot. I average 28-29 on my daily drives. Sitting in traffic, at lights, some highway, and quick accelerations. I get 33 on the highway and you can get more if you don't get on the throttle, but that's no fun.

I don't like the Focus. I've driven my mom's Focus SE enough to be able to say that. It honestly doesn't feel any bigger in the immediate area of the driver's seat in the interior, but the car as a whole does feel bigger. Blind spots are a lot worse. I hate the rear end of it. And it doesn't handle quite as well as the Fiesta. It does have more power but it's also heavier. I don't need bigger and the power really is enough for me in the Fiesta. The things I would have liked in the Fiesta that came in the Focus as options is projector headlights, the headlight LED bar, and the factory subwoofer. But I've managed without them. I prefer the partial leather Recaros to the full leather in the Focus.

How about some more opinions? The F. ST is highly regarded, but why it over the Focus ST, or a GTI... ?
Know a guy who has a MK1 and MK6 GTI and he always asks to drive my car. Says everything has a "lightness" about it. The gear changes require the slightest touch, the car bounces around like a go-kart just enough to be lively without being skittish, the steering is light and responsive. It's the best of the original GTI and the modern in one package, in his mind. Like chucking the modern engine and power steering in a MK1. The Golf and the Focus are bigger cars (especially now that you can only get a 4 door Golf in the States) and that weight coupled with the multi-link rear suspension instead of a beam adds stability, which takes away a lot of that go-kart feel. For a decent size that actually fits 4 people (not comfortably, but at least they fit) and a cooler, get the GTI. I think it's a better car than the Focus. Not as fast, but better all around. And I prefer where the shifter is rather than halfway up the dash on the Focus. That's more a personal ergonomics gripe than anything. Clearly doesn't bother Focus owners. For a personal daily driver that's a lot of fun at legal speeds and has plenty of room for you and one other person, get the Fiesta. That's my take.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The one tool I had to buy that I didn't have was a flexible extension for my sockets in order to remove the front bumper. It could be done with a universal joint, but the flexible extension made the job much easier.