Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Autox Tires (used) at a Track Day - Advice?

Taking the FiST out for a track day, did it a couple of years ago and thought I try it again. Been autocrossing the car for awhile and In terms of tires I have a lot of USED PAIRS of Falken 660's and my original OEM tires - all on wheels. I'm wondering what I should bring to the track because I don't know how much wear I can expect in several 20 minute sessions and a few time attack runs at the end of the day. I think you all would know better and also can give me a 'yah' or 'nay' on weather I can mix different pairs front and rear. Here are my options all are 215/45 16 (except for choice e)
a) a pair with some barely visible tread on 7 inch wide rims
b) somewhat fairly decent pair on 7 rims
c) absolutely bald pair on 7.5 rims
d) really good pair on 7.5 rims
e) 4 oem summer tires on oem rims

My first thought is to drive there and back on the OEM and pack b) for the fronts figuring I'd wear them out, and d) on the rear, guessing that they won't wear much. I also thought about just keeping the oems on and wear out the tires. I'd like to make a good showing but don't mind being mid pack in Novice. Your thoughts appreciated.

Dialcaliper

If it were me, I’d drive to the track in the all seasons, and at the track, run “d” (good 7.5”) on the front and “b” (good 7”) on the back.

The 7.5 will give you better steering response with slightly stiffer sidewalls in the heavily loaded front tires since 7” are towards the narrow side for a 215’s.

Wider rim in the front is a FWD stagger trick infrequently done to improve handling since mounting to a wider rim makes the contact patch slightly wider in the front.

The few places I’ve seen it are on track cars, and bizzarely enough, my electric Fiat 500e daily driver, which came that way from the factory.

It seems to work well, but it’s a little inconvenient because the wheels and hubs are keyed with pins that prevent mounting front/rear rims on the wrong axle, so you can only rotate tires to the opposite side. Except with the directional tread tires I’ve been using, you can’t rotate at all. As a FWD EV, it eats front tires for breakfast, so my habit now is that when the fronts get to 1/3 tread and start to get a bit heat cycled (with the rears still at 2/3 depth), I’ll take all four wheels to the tire shop and have them swap the tires diagonal front to rear, which helps make them last a bit longer (in this case about 15k miles total).

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Yes, all pairs except the OEM summer tires. I do swap autox tires front to back between events, but switching to the wider 7.5 for this years
left me with distinct pairs.
Sweet. You’ve got a lot of wheels and tires you hoarder lol

I’d drive in on the OEMs and run D on the front and B on back like dc said for track use. Maybe try a session on the OEM to see how they feel. I didn’t hate them all that much on a VIR track day but I drive like shit.

kevinatfms

Since you havent been for a while run the OE wheels/tires. They are more than capable of handling a track day especially if you are in novice or even intermediate with an instructor.

Get a conformed pair of wheels/tires for next time out.