Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Back on 93 tune after a year on ethanol...

That is the secret to the big power numbers, you don't necessarily need more torque, you just need to be able to hold it for longer. Pretty much every Honda ever built is based around this premise, LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, maybe except for this Honda. My FiST was snarling around the front of this thing (my tennis buddy owns it).....then wisely decided to leave him alone! 8A38C9E4-53C8-4C7E-A48B-5A6E23713C5C.jpeg

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is interesting as I just dropped my car at the tuner for a s280 tune on pump gas . I am looking for 265-270 on a Mustang Dyno. I will know find out on thursday how she does. I am not worried about losing down low due the quick spool of the S280 and feel its a good comprimise between hybrid and big turbo.

Se7eN

What I would really like to see is, on the same car, a hybrid vs S280 dyno plot. The only thing I don't like about the hybrids is they still tail off pretty quickly after hitting torque peak.
I have a buddy that switched from Whoosh Hybrid to S280 but has not yet been able to tune due to work and other stuff. Might have a good comparison there.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
No doubt about this. I can't say enough about the dizzy E30 tune that I have, the car does feel a lot stronger. But in reality, there is only so much that stock turbo can do and the actual power gain is fairly limited. On Vdyno my car went from 177whp to 207 whp with E30 and a V3 IC. So yes, exactly the 30 hp gain you mentioned.

Yeah I've seen up to 210-220 even on stock turbo. Mine did about 220 at that point according to V-dyno.
Here is something extracted from one of Jason's posts in his blog. In my mind (ignoring the fact that this was a test checking out the fueling limits), The 341 whp E50 power curve looks absolutely perfect for this car. The peak torque value remains moderate (that could obviously be spiked up higher without the upward boost taper/lower rpm boost limit), and the power continues to climb in a fairly linear fashion to redline. I will bet that car feels awesome, yet maintains decent traction.
It's a nice curve but I can guarantee you it doesn't have traction in 1st or 2nd gear and likely loses it in 3rd too unless the tune pulls power at those speeds. My car spins in 1st 2nd and 3rd (when tires are cold) if I floor it. My tuner dialed in custom traction control which helps. But those numbers you quoted are going to spin the tires. There's a reason Ford detuned 1st and 2nd gear from the factory even with the stock turbo.

Now, take a >300whp car and give it the beans in 3rd gear, the fun begins.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I will check out your video, thanks for mentioning it. As for turning wrenches, I haven't done it for about 15 years, but I started doing it again on this car and I'm rather enjoying it. I'm not sure I would want to get into it as heavily as I did before, (meaning having engines on stands and rebuilding them in my garage for fun, etc), but fairly simple stuff like turbo swaps, intercooler installations, etc still sound like fun even though I am nearing a half century oldšŸ˜
I agree pulling engines isn't something I have interest in doing. But I'm 47 so don't despair modding at this age, it keeps you young!

Here's that video I cited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NtaeQZBRo&t=444s&ab_channel=gray25xt

My tune is almost finalized on 93 and Iā€™m loving this level. I havenā€™t experienced E yet on a larger turbo but when I do tune for it Iā€™m sure itā€™ll just be something I swap to when I know Iā€™m about to participate in hooliganism. The car feels perfect on 93 at this level which Iā€™m assuming is 260-280whp.

Yeah I've seen up to 210-220 even on stock turbo. Mine did about 220 at that point according to V-dyno.

It's a nice curve but I can guarantee you it doesn't have traction in 1st or 2nd gear and likely loses it in 3rd too unless the tune pulls power at those speeds. My car spins in 1st 2nd and 3rd (when tires are cold) if I floor it. My tuner dialed in custom traction control which helps. But those numbers you quoted are going to spin the tires. There's a reason Ford detuned 1st and 2nd gear from the factory even with the stock turbo.

Now, take a >300whp car and give it the beans in 3rd gear, the fun begins.
The usual FWD car cursešŸ˜©. In the past whenever I had a FWD car that had any amount of power, I always ran DOT drag radials. Its the only way to get decent traction.

I agree pulling engines isn't something I have interest in doing. But I'm 47 so don't despair modding at this age, it keeps you young!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NtaeQZBRo&t=444s&ab_channel=gray25xt
Yeah, I exaggerate my lack
of desire...... Within a few months I will probably be elbow deep in the things again, LOL. I kind of do miss actually rebuilding engines and stuff like that, (even though I was never a professional at it, just an amateur) but it was nice to see something made from the ground up with your own hands work out well.

Checking out the video as we speak.......āœ”ļø

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Yeah, I exaggerate my lack
of desire...... Within a few months I will probably be elbow deep in the things again, LOL. I kind of do miss actually rebuilding engines and stuff like that, (even though I was never a professional at it, just an amateur) but it was nice to see something made from the ground up with your own hands work out well.

Checking out the video as we speak.......āœ”ļø
A few years ago I discovered a secret.

So...I built several cars, sold, bought a new one, built, sell, repeat. At some point along the way I acquired a second car, a beater, a car I didnā€™t mind taking a sawzall to. Just something to tinker on since the Fiesta was done.
That was 3 years ago. In that time Iā€™ve kept the Fiesta as my reliable daily and built/restored a Civic, a Prelude, an Insight, and a Mini, keeping each for a while and then turning for a profit, then starting over with something else.

It has really fulfilled the desire to wrench without putting tons of money into the Fiesta. I havenā€™t changed much on it in two years but I still love it. The project cars have been super fun, Iā€™ve learned a lot, and Iā€™ve made money.

So as we talk about mod addiction and contentment with our builds, Iā€™d suggest that a cheap second car (my Cooper S was $200) is a great way to keep wrenching without chasing the impossible or going over the edge.

That is sage insight. Honestly, that is exactly what I wanted to do as well. I truly wanted to find another turbo Dodge and start wrenching on those again as a fun car. The main reason I cannot is due to needing three daily driver cars, (plus a golf cart since we live on a golf course), and only a two car garage......alas a car on jackstands 90% of the time would be tough currently. [emoji12]

But you've given a reason to think about this further.......That spot in the garage that the golf cart is taking up could be used to start hot riding that thing! I'm gonna go on I'm going to go online and research golf cart motor controllers, up rated motors, and battery banks, LOL!

My tune is almost finalized on 93 and Iā€™m loving this level. I havenā€™t experienced E yet on a larger turbo but when I do tune for it Iā€™m sure itā€™ll just be something I swap to when I know Iā€™m about to participate in hooliganism. The car feels perfect on 93 at this level which Iā€™m assuming is 260-280whp.

The fiesta community demands data logs and dynos!

This is interesting as I just dropped my car at the tuner for a s280 tune on pump gas . I am looking for 265-270 on a Mustang Dyno. I will know find out on thursday how she does. I am not worried about losing down low due the quick spool of the S280 and feel its a good comprimise between hybrid and big turbo.
Count me as interested x 2!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I know you are discussing turbos, but I didn't see any mention of an LSD to manage that higher hp/tq for better curve/turning traction. Please explain.

I plan on getting an LSD by March. I'm on OTS 93 octane dizzy tune, w/factory suspension.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I know you are discussing turbos, but I didn't see any mention of an LSD to manage that higher hp/tq for better curve/turning traction. Please explain.

I plan on getting an LSD by March. I'm on OTS 93 octane dizzy tune, w/factory suspension.

There are turns? :)

Ive thought about an LSD (and maybe even the ST200 FD just for fun if I stayed stock turbo), but not sure Id want to go there just yet on a transmission with only 6000 miles on it.......something about cracking that trans case open unnecessarily bothers me :) Ive been there too many times in the past with other cars and trans can be a PITA.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37

LSD is wonderful for applying power in turns. However it does not solve the problem of straight line acceleration. Iā€™ve been in a big turbo Fiesta with LSD. When you hammer the throttle, it is just like my car, except with my car one tire Is spinning, with the LSD car both tires are spinning.

Itā€™s a great mod but it doesnā€™t solve the traction issue.

Itā€™s a great mod but it doesnā€™t solve the traction issue.
These should solve the problem.I use them back in the day and they worked beautifully to about 400ish wheel ft lb. I recall using them in a car making about 370 whp and similar torque, and they were great for low 12s @ 117 and fine on the street (as long as it wasnt pouring rain). I did notice once the car was pumped up past this level though that, although they were still much better than regular street tires, realistically full slicks would be necessary.

The above said, this car was about 3400 pounds with me in it, so significantly heavier than a fiesta which will help with traction.

2BA8C54C-8DF9-4020-98D3-29B5100942FE.jpeg

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
These should solve the problem.I use them back in the day and they worked beautifully to about 400ish wheel ft lb. I recall using them in a car making about 370 whp and similar torque, and they were great for low 12s @ 117 and fine on the street (as long as it wasnt pouring rain). I did notice once the car was pumped up past this level though that, although they were still much better than regular street tires, realistically full slicks would be necessary.

The above said, this car was about 3400 pounds with me in it, so significantly heavier than a fiesta which will help with traction.
Yep, wise man. That's what people do to solve the traction issue. Super wide tires + fender flares. But then you have a car that's really not made for the street. Plus the expense...not the route for my daily

If only they'd made a Fiesta RS with AWD.

In my case I was able to use normal width tires on the car, I honestly don't recall what the section with was, but I'm pretty sure they were very close to stock size......Unfortunately I'm going on 15+ year old memory at this point LOL.

There is no doubt though that an AWD fiesta would be incredibly cool. But then again, I guess that is what the focus RS is for.....the little fiesta with that added weight would perhaps lose some of it's magic.