Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Battery Replacement-How often & which one?

The thing is, the Odyssey battery only has 600 CCA as compared to 590 for the AutoCraft, that seems like a small extra amount for the nine extra pounds. This would make me lean towards the AutoCraft if I want an AGM battery.
Yeah but keep in mind that those CCA number might not reflect the truth. The weight of a lead battery tends to be more relevant to measure its performance than the number on the sticker.

The battery of my FiST is still the stock one (bought in 2015)..Recently I started to ask myself how longer it could run...(I use the FiST only 3 days a month)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm pretty familiar with Interstate batteries, so I'd be interested to know if anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with AutoCraft or Odyssey batteries.
I had an Odyssey (it was a Sears Platinum actually, which is made by Odyssey under contract, as an exactly the same battery, with just a different color case and stickers) in my '00 Z28, and it was perfect, still cranking away, after being in the car for 7 years, when I sold it 4 months before taking delivery of this car.
It is probably still going strong for that owner now.

WHY I want one for this car so much, plus I already have the specific Odyssey labelled, Schumacher built charger for it. [:)]

I DO have my doubts as to the comparative quality of the Autocraft, given that weight difference, for a street (vs. 'race') battery.[wink]

For those who want the 96R-600 Odyssey, Summit Racing is selling it for $158.99 with free shipping, obviously NO core charge, plus whatever (if any) sales tax your home state requires.
I was the one who had the rep put in a part request to offer this battery for sale by Summit

They told me mine would ship by ~3/30/20.

This is LESS THAN what Advance gets for their AGM, before any core charges! [:)]

I am STILL curious as to WHO is actually building this battery for Autocraft/Advance though. [dunno]

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I had an Odyssey (it was a Sears Platinum actually, which is made by Odyssey under contract, as an exactly the same battery, with just a different color case and stickers) in my '00 Z28, and it was perfect, still cranking away, after being in the car for 7 years, when I sold it 4 months before taking delivery of this car.

WHY I want one for this car so much, plus I already have the specific Odyssey labelled, Schumacher built charger for it. [:)]

I DO have my doubts as to the comparative quality of the Autocraft, given that weight difference, for a street (vs. 'race') battery.[wink]

For those who want the 96R-600 Odyssey, Summit Racing is selling it for $158.99 with free shipping, obviously NO core charge, plus whatever (if any) sales tax your home state requires.
I was the one who had the rep put in a part request to offer this battery for sale by Summit

This is LESS THAN what Advance gets for their AGM, before any core charges! [:)]

I am STILL curious as to WHO is actually building this battery for Autocraft/Advance though. [dunno]
That's great information, thanks, especially on the price for that Odyssey Battery at Summit. As I recall it was over $100 more on Odyssey's own website.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Its either Johnson controls....Exide or East Penn. Those are the Big main 3 that make them here in the U.S. you can usually tell by the Case design who makes what....Then its usually just a label change between businesses to signify Brands for the Slack jawed yokels at the local parts stores.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Got a link? I'm not seeing it...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I would suggest testing the battery at least once per year. Then you'll know for sure what its health status is. I test mine in autumn each year just before it gets really cold out.
Do you have your own amperage tester or do you rely on the auto parts stores? Always seems like a conflict of interest to have them test stuff. (conspiracy theories aside) Having a set number to compare against from new to old is helpful though. I'd write that in marker on the battery from year to year. (cover in clear packaging tape)

Do you have your own amperage tester or do you rely on the auto parts stores? Always seems like a conflict of interest to have them test stuff. (conspiracy theories aside) Having a set number to compare against from new to old is helpful though. I'd write that in marker on the battery from year to year. (cover in clear packaging tape)
I happen to work at a part store, so I just use the store's device to run the tests.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've had the Parts Stores "Tester" test batteries out "Good" ...then put them on an actual connected to the wall machine load tester/charger. BOOM ....Junk....I've "Werked" at a couple of parts stores....I "know" how their machines work. Oh .....you have a P0420 code... computer tells them to sell them a Catalytic converter and forgets all the other steps Of shit to look at before blowing $500-1500 on a new Catalytic converter. F-THAT....There's at least 5 things I'd consider before doleing out some Skrilla to some warm body behind the parts counter who can't even tie their velcro Shoes.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got my 22 bucks back. Lol, is the odyssey battery even out yet??
They are telling me it will ship by 3/30, but who knows? [dunno]

I want to hold onto my flooded lead acid AAA replacement (whoever makes those for them?), since 1) it is less than a year old, and 2) a flooded lead acid battery is required in order to bring an AGM battery back from the dead with a charger, IF fully discharged for any reason.
So I purposely did not want to turn it in for <$30.00 charge refund. [wink]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
................. a flooded lead acid battery is required in order to bring an AGM battery back from the dead with a charger, IF fully discharged for any reason. ...........
Connect both batteries together? That's pretty interesting. Why can't a standard charger be used? With Li-Ion there's the threat of impending explosion but other than that... No such problems with that I'm aware of with AGM though. (doesn't have the energy density of Li-Ion) BTW, Li-Ion S-U-C-K at producing cold amperage in chilly weather.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Connect both batteries together? That's pretty interesting. Why can't a standard charger be used? With Li-Ion there's the threat of impending explosion but other than that... No such problems with that I'm aware of with AGM though. (doesn't have the energy density of Li-Ion) BTW, Li-Ion S-U-C-K at producing cold amperage in chilly weather.
Yeah, this is what I've been told must be done, even when using an AGM specific charger for a completely DEAD AGM battery (I still need to confirm that it is in parallel, but guessing/taking for granted that it is [wink]).

I never had the specific physics/circuit/electromagnetic reasons/logic as to WHY this is necessary explained to me, just that it is (ANYONE on here know the rationale??).

Thanks for that heads up on the COLD weather performance of lithium batteries, since eventually, to save weight, but still have max CCAs, I was considering one of these in the far distant future, despite their prohibitive co$t, and needing a bespoke, also co$tly charger. [thumb]