Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Battery Replacement-How often & which one?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
Stock battery died yesterday. Date on battery was 02/02/2016 so it lasted 4 years 8 months and 10 days. Got an Interstate MTP-96R from Costco today. The build date says September 2020.
Thanks for reporting that. It confirms my plan to replace the battery no later than every 4 years.
That Interstate battery that you got should be a good one, that was my second choice, if I didn't go for an AGM battery.

Last edited:
Battery on my 2016 Died today, ill check date code and update tomorrow. Bought car in September of 2016 and the car had been on the lot for 4 days when I got it so thinking about 4 years and 6 months, seems in line with most others experiences.

Battery was not dead, for some reason the car is not detecting the key fob inside of the car unless I push it right up to where the ignition switch is. From outside the car if you push the lock key on the key fob there is about a 5 second delay before the car locks or unlocks. Im wondering if it is possible that something is interfering with it? Already replaced the CR2032 battery inside of the fob.

My battery was really weak, so I purchased a replacement. I've had good luck with Costco Kirkland Signature batteries, so I purchased one of those. It was $115 CDN which is $91 US. They have a 4-year replacement warranty.

So it turns out my key fob went bad. Went back to the dealership I bought it from, they programmed me a new one since they forgot to give me my second key when I bought the car so they just ate it. Was still having the same problem so brought it back this Monday, turns out that one was dead too. They just finished programming 2 for me today and my brother is going to pick it up tomorrow since I dont live in the area. Been DDing my Cobra in the meantime.

Long story short battery was fine, that being said it was nearing 5 years old so im just going to keep it in the car. Datecode was August of 2016 so just over 4 and a half years.

I just had an issue on my 2016 not starting today. Hooked it up to an extra battery laying around and it fired right up, so I figured my AP had stayed on overnight and ran the charge down. I drove around and then parked it for four hours; came back out and it did not want to start again. Luckily Advanced Auto was opened today (July 5th), just shy of closing (20:30 call / 21:00 closing), and, most important, they had different tiers of batteries in stock. I brought home an AGM, 96R replacement from DieHard! https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P

Factory fit, fired right up, and a 3-year warranty.

It was kind of weird that it just up-and-died but it was five years old, which seems to be the use life of an automotive battery.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just had an issue on my 2016 not starting today. Hooked it up to an extra battery laying around and it fired right up, so I figured my AP had stayed on overnight and ran the charge down. I drove around and then parked it for four hours; came back out and it did not want to start again. Luckily Advanced Auto was opened today (July 5th), just shy of closing (20:30 call / 21:00 closing), and, most important, they had different tiers of batteries in stock. I brought home an AGM, 96R replacement from DieHard! https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P

It was kind of weird that it just up-and-died but it was five years old, which seems to be the use life of an automotive battery.

My stocker only made it about 3 years, but I used to listen to music with the engine off, and then over-charged it to compensate for that drain, so ALL MY fault.

IF the AA Die Hard AGM was around back then I would definitely have considered it.

But I got an Odyssey 96R-600 (with a AAA Group 96 flooded lead acid in the interim to hold me over until the Odyssey release date) and it's been perfect since with occasional 'top up' charges on Odyssey's bespoke charger.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #70
II brought home an AGM, 96R replacement from DieHard! https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P

That's the same AGM battery I bought from Advance Auto about a year ago, it was still branded AutoCraft then, but supposedly is the exact same thing as the ones that they started to later brand DieHard. It's working fine so far.
Your experience is an example of why I just decided to replace mine every four years, and not wait till it dies. I figure it's not going to last much more than four years, and I can avoid the inconvenience of a dead battery. People have reported all sorts of weird things going wrong with their cars when the batteries get weak, a lot of which don't immediately seem to be battery related, and I would like to avoid that if I can.

Sam4

Stock battery died yesterday. Date on battery was 02/02/2016 so it lasted 4 years 8 months and 10 days. Got an Interstate MTP-96R from Costco today. The build date says September 2020.
What's your car's build date? I'd always assumed a battery sat around a while before being installed. But then, that's more likely a replacement battery issue, waiting on the shelf......

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just roll a 48 series with a modified battery tray* fits....like a glove.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

What's your car's build date? I'd always assumed a battery sat around a while before being installed. But then, that's more likely a replacement battery issue, waiting on the shelf......
Door sticker says 02/2016 and my Experian auto check says 02/06/2016 so the battery only sat around 4 days If the dates are correct. Before I bought the car it did sit all fall and winter at a used car dealership so I think that hurt my battery's life the most.

Hey a 42 battery seems to be about equivalent? Yes/no? Rural King has them for $65. Just base quality level with 500CCA. 28.5 lbs. I noticed they don't even carry the 96R.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey a 42 battery seems to be about equivalent? Yes/no? Rural King has them for $65. Just base quality level with 500CCA. 28.5 lbs. I noticed they don't even carry the 96R.
VERY few mass market type chains carry the 96R on the shelf, which is surprising since some of the older gas F-150s, and maybe older Mustangs used them. [dunno]

There are currently only two AGM 96Rs available, one is not sold through any chains (save for Summit Racing if they are considered a 'chain'), so even less of a chance of finding one of those on a shelf anywhere.

And yes, I know that some on here HAVE gone down to their local Advance Auto and grabbed a Die Hard labeled 96R AGM right out of the rack. [wink]

my '15 didn't start this morning. I think it's on the original battery, and it's been cold & I've barely been driving it, so no big surprise. I did get a green light on the charger after about four hours, and it started right up then. Still, seems like it's about time for a new one.

Looks from this thread that the 96r Die Hard at Advance Auto is a solid option, and there are some in stock nearby. Any other options I should consider? They're currently $190.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
my '15 didn't start this morning. I think it's on the original battery, and it's been cold & I've barely been driving it, so no big surprise. I did get a green light on the charger after about four hours, and it started right up then. Still, seems like it's about time for a new one.

Looks from this thread that the 96r Die Hard at Advance Auto is a solid option, and there are some in stock nearby. Any other options I should consider? They're currently $190.
I just keep buying oem batteries. Don’t see a compelling reason to do anything else.

After looking at the comments on this thread and some others, here are the top three batteries I am considering, priced low to high.

If I decide to get a conventional non AGM battery, I have had good luck in the past with Interstate batteries. This is their best battery in our size, they don't make an AGM battery in the group 96r size-
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-96r/2016-ford-fiesta-l416l-standard?search=true

Second is the AGM battery that Advance Auto has started carrying-
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P

Third is the new Odyssey AGM battery that @ShawFiST mentioned above-
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/96r-600?pp=12

Note that as the site says, this appears to be one category down from their top category of battery-
The ODYSSEY Performance series batteries provide all the reliability of the ODYSSEY Extreme Series batteries but without the high cold cranking amps (CCA) or reserve capacity (RC) that many people may not require.

Looking at the specs, The Odyssey battery has a bit more cold cranking amps and reserve capacity compared to the AutoCraft, but it weighs 9 more pounds, which is a lot.
I'm pretty familiar with Interstate batteries, so I'd be interested to know if anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with AutoCraft or Odyssey batteries.

So I got my Odyssey battery and the shipping box said 18.8lbs actual shipping weight. After picking it up it is a bit lighter than the OEM battery so I am not sure where they got 40lbs from.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So I got my Odyssey battery and the shipping box said 18.8lbs actual shipping weight. After picking it up it is a bit lighter than the OEM battery so I am not sure where they got 40lbs from.
Is it their 96R-600 model, or one of their lower power (CA/CCA/RC/etc.), 'racing line' models (like their 680)?

My full power, 96R-600 600CCA Odyssey was over 40 lbs.

Last edited:

Sam4

With car battery prices were they are, may as well listen to biden and buy a Tesla instead of a Diehard. Right? "Yes, Joe sent me. I'm here for the 4 door battery please?"