Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BC Coilovers Snapped?

Anyone ever come across something like this? Driving home from work, loud clanking obviously coming from P/R suspension - get home and this is what I find... I think these are about 8 months old, guess it's time to look for warranty info.

Attachments

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Dayumn!! I had a rear seal go but according them it was the first from a Fiesta. They overnighted a new one under warranty. I’m sure it was my fault from hitting curbing at the track. No problems since it was fixed and I stopped hitting the curbs.

You’re lock ring wasn’t that loose was it?

Is it rusted or anything in there?

That's wild, never seen that except from really low end stuff like racelands, maxpeeding rods etc.

OP
FJ16
Thread Starter #4
You’re lock ring wasn’t that loose was it?
I spun it up a little with my hand, but I'd have to look at the other side to see exactly where it was originally.

Is it rusted or anything in there?
Dirt, but no rust that I can see. Some of the roads around here are crap, but I wouldn't think this should happen without hitting something pretty severe...

Last edited:
OP
FJ16
Thread Starter #5
Probably have to wait until tomorrow to get under it - of course it happens on the first night in the last month where I have plans right after work.

OP
FJ16
Thread Starter #8
OK, had a chance to get the rears off and I'm now thoroughly confused. Here is what I found:

When I looked at the damage on the car and snapped those initial pics, I assumed the body had sheared off at the threads and just broken spectacularly - but that doesn't seem to be the case. Besides the dings and scratches from getting it home with it busted, I can't find any major damage and can't see any explanation as to how it got like that??? If I thread the lower portion right back in, there's no real resistance and it eventually marries up and looks/feels good (besides the cosmetic damage).

There's the two side by side. They seem fine, but I sure as hell don't want to reinstall the bad one on the vehicle until I understand what happened to it.

So, maybe my grasp of physics is just on Easter vacation today - but how is it possible that the lower portion simply worked itself out of the threads when all bolts were still tightened securely? The two bolts in the top hat were secured, meaning that portion can't rotate out of the lower - and the lower bolt goes completely through that housing, ensuring that it can't rotate at all away from the upper? What am I missing here?

EDIT: Probably solved below; I see how it could work itself free if the (aptly named) locking nut is not tightened well enough.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
FJ16
Thread Starter #9
Well nevermind, my brain block has lifted. I understand that the valving can spin independently of the upper and lower mount points - meaning I guess the locking nut came loose at some point and it slowly (or quickly) worked its way out and gave the appearance of a break.

I guess false alarm, I'll reinstall them with the locks tightened securely and see what happens!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Make sure to use a long steel punch and a hammer to firmly lock those rings per BC’s instructions. Mine come loose all the time. I have no clue why they don’t engineer a lock ring and charge $20 more. It’s a dumb design.

Peterson

Premium Account
Just came unthreaded. Happened to me before. After a professional ride height and corner balance nonetheless. I was not happy.