Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BFGoodrich Comp A/S 2 215/45r17

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #21
Hate to burst your bubble but theywillfit.com shows 4.72% bigger in diameter difference. Other online tire calculators I looked at show around 5%. Been doing a lot of research lately and checking different sizes as my RE050A are worn out too. If I was you I would go to a Ford dealer or mechanic and get the tire size reprogrammed in the ECU, this should minimize most of the negative effects of being so oversized. View attachment 9355
Or I could just not worry about it.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #22
The 215/45/17 Continental Extremecontact DWS tires I tried and had rubbing issues with(only during spirited driving) are only .1" wider than these when installed on a 7" wide rim. I highly doubt that difference will keep these tires from rubbing.
Maybe it is a difference in driving styles or roads...

200 miles on a set of tires and saying they don't rub...dunno about that. That is only 2/3 of a tank of fuel. Hardly a true road test.
I commute 20 miles from one side of the city to the other on every kind of road way from 2 land to 4 lane to highway and up into parking lots with high curbs. The roads in Pittsburgh are also complete shit, and I drive like an asshole 24/7. This was after at least 3 days of daily commute. I also did a ton of research before buying the tires, and others with the same exact tires and setup have claimed to have rubbing only over severe bumps like high speed speed bumps or very deep pot holes. Also, there's a lot more that affects whether a tire rubs than the width. Tread pattern, tread depth, angle from the sidewall to the tread, etc. They may only be .1 inch narrower, but the angle might also be much softer, or the treads might be shallower, or the profile might be slightly smaller. Either way, it's my car and they're my tires, so stop worrying your pretty head so much.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #23
These wheels and tires (Extremecontact DWS 215/45r17) that was from your Focus SVT, were they non FiST wheels? Just wondering if your wheel was different from the 17" x 7" 47.5mm offset on the FiST, that could make a difference. But I do agree and I could see the OPs having potential issues, he will just have to keep an eye on it. I'm just amazed that some tire shops don't properly advise people on sizing that's ok and sizing that's questionable or not ok. Crazy thing is I read on a online forum that an employee of Tirerack said that up to 5% bigger in diameter is ok with them, but from what I've read on different websites regarding this so call rule of thumb 3% seems to be the limit.
They did advise me.