Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big brake kits BBK’s

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #21
Brake kits and set up should be decided with a few factors in mind, which I haven't seen asked here. What tires are you running? What type of brake feel do you want? Have you tried to activate ABS in different speeds? Because the stock brakes can lock up most street compound tires with a good set of pads. Bigger brake kits and brake upgrades in general are mainly for heat management on these cars. There are other reasons for upgrading the brakes, but that is the biggest benefit. The reason why ducting has been recommended is for heat management as well. You stated you want to stop on a dime repeatedly. Heat management is what allows you to do that.
Never said repeatedly but I hear you brother

Never said repeatedly but I hear you brother
May be able to get my hands on the Mountune Brembo kit but the Stoptech is available now fer sure. I need to stop on a dime at high speed and repeatedly on the twisties. I’m ok without having the SVT rear replacement for now. Any thoughts?
It is in your first post.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Brake kits and set up should be decided with a few factors in mind, which I haven't seen asked here. What tires are you running? What type of brake feel do you want? Have you tried to activate ABS in different speeds? Because the stock brakes can lock up most street compound tires with a good set of pads. Bigger brake kits and brake upgrades in general are mainly for heat management on these cars. There are other reasons for upgrading the brakes, but that is the biggest benefit. The reason why ducting has been recommended is for heat management as well. You stated you want to stop on a dime repeatedly. Heat management is what allows you to do that.
The other (track ONLY) factor which I have never heard discussed on here, is pad 'knock back' when using sliding calipers vs. racing style fixed calipers, which IS discussed quite vociferously on other open track/road course forums for heavier rides than ours (like on FRRAX.com for the GM f bodies for example).

Is this EVER a factor on OUR rides?? [dunno]

The other (track ONLY) factor which I have never heard discussed on here, is pad 'knock back' when using sliding calipers vs. racing style fixed calipers, which IS discussed quite vociferously on other open track/road course forums for heavier rides than ours (like on FRRAX.com for the GM f bodies for example).

Is this EVER a factor on OUR rides?? [dunno]
I haven't heard of or experienced it in a Fiesta, but that is a very good point.

kevinatfms

I don’t need ducting. I want the car to stop on a dime, pick it up and give me a nickel back(don’t get excited Not the group)
This makes ZERO sense. The factory caliper/pad/rotor combo is perfectly fine for a street car/canyon carver. Throwing $1000's of dollars at a brake kit without understanding the consequences is just throwing money in the trash. Bigger is not always better.

I cannot fathom how you think the stock braking package is "inadequate" when many others track/autocross on the stock brake package w/ just a few select upgrades and they work perfect.

Put some stock "S" Ford pads on it, fresh set of blank rotors, braided lines, RBF 600 fluid and grab the boomba ducts. That is an absolute perfect package for a street driven car with the occasional track day/autocross. It provides excellent feedback, can handle a track day and fits all 15" wheels, 16" wheels and 17" wheels(which i have tested on ALL of them).

Plenty of guys use this setup, including myself, and abuse it well worse than you could ever produce on the street. Very few people have required a big brake kit and usually it involved the putting significant track use on their brakes.

But if you want to waste the money on a big brake kit, go for it, as its your money.

Last edited:
OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #27
This makes ZERO sense. The factory caliper/pad/rotor combo is perfectly fine for a street car/canyon carver. Throwing $1000's of dollars at a brake kit without understanding the consequences is just throwing money in the trash. Bigger is not always better.

I cannot fathom how you think the stock braking package is "inadequate" when many others track/autocross on the stock brake package w/ just a few select upgrades and they work perfect.

Put some stock "S" Ford pads on it, fresh set of blank rotors, braided lines, RBF 600 fluid and grab the boomba ducts. That is an absolute perfect package for a street driven car with the occasional track day/autocross. It provides excellent feedback, can handle a track day and fits all 15" wheels, 16" wheels and 17" wheels(which i have tested on ALL of them).

Plenty of guys use this setup, including myself, and abuse it well worse than you could ever produce on the street. Very few people have required a big brake kit and usually it involved the putting significant track use on their brakes.

But if you want to waste the money on a big brake kit, go for it, as its your money.
Easy tiger. I have Mountune pads, ss lines, new rotors and RBF 600 fluid. First off good BBK’s stop a car faster and more effectively than what I have. It’s called physics. Secondly after all the money I have put into building the best performance car, do you think I give a good rip about a few more dollars? lmfao Thirdly I would put a BBK on just for looks and now that the car will be able to accelerate much faster it only makes sense it should be able to stop faster as well. Safety first! Or is it looks first? Why not both? 👌

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #28
Btw the stock braking system even upgraded is not meant for a 400+ whp car. I never said it was inadequate for stock power. Where did I say that? I will say that it is indeed inadequate for my setup along with the Mountune setup that was on there. I may not be tracking or dragging the car but I will be going fast in Mexico and when I need to stop I want the effing thing to stop.

Last edited:
OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #31
It is in your first post.
Ok I said repeatedly. As an addendum my Edit: (slowing) repeatedly will never require ducting. My repeated slowing I should have said will never reach track levels of heat or abuse.

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I said why not both. It will be both. I’ve skimped on nothing and I won’t skimp on brakes. So yes I will purchase the best BBK that also looks great. Thanks for the input.
Any of the BBKs will meet you needs, you’ve, in effect, agreed to that. Just buy the one that you think looks the best with the drill and/slotted rotors that convey the look you’re after.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #33
Any of the BBKs will meet you needs, you’ve, in effect, agreed to that. Just buy the one that you think looks the best with the drill and/slotted rotors that convey the look you’re after.
Not all BBK’s will meet my needs, wants or desires. Looking for a process crime? Lmao

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The 2J Racing Wilwood Kit is the only front/rear combo I’m aware of. Contact Joe at 2J. He has a kit that’s a little different than others. The front calipers are not the same Wilwood model my buddy AccelJunky melted at Hutchinson Island. Joe sells the same model he used when he raced Fiestas. He can tell you exactly what you’ll need for whatever it is you plan to do. The rear kit looks really good too. I drove AccelJunky’s Fiesta with stock, Wilwood and Stoptech brakes and the Wilwood felt closest to stock. They’re WAY lighter than stock and you can run just about any wheel which is a huge bonus. Stoptechs weight about the same as stock and wheel fitment is challenging. Avoid them if you aren’t tracking the car. The 2J Wilwood Kit is my suggestion.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #35
The 2J Racing Wilwood Kit is the only front/rear combo I’m aware of. Contact Joe at 2J. He has a kit that’s a little different than others. The front calipers are not the same Wilwood model my buddy AccelJunky melted at Hutchinson Island. Joe sells the same model he used when he raced Fiestas. He can tell you exactly what you’ll need for whatever it is you plan to do. The rear kit looks really good too. I drove AccelJunky’s Fiesta with stock, Wilwood and Stoptech brakes and the Wilwood felt closest to stock. They’re WAY lighter than stock and you can run just about any wheel which is a huge bonus. Stoptechs weight about the same as stock and wheel fitment is challenging. Avoid them if you aren’t tracking the car. The 2J Wilwood Kit is my suggestion.
Funny you should mention it. I talked with Joe earlier today and he gave me a quote on the exact setup on his track car. Spec 37 rotors with the Polymatrix pads. Getting rid of the rear calipers and having a full BBK is very appealing. He recommended the Polymatrix pads in consideration of my car being a high horsepower street only car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That is funny I was going to post the same video but we already know he has his mind made up so no point.

I subscribe to three different car magazines and it's interesting seeing how similar braking distances are regardless of the brake package on the vehicle.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #40
The Wilwoods are lighter than stock and have rear rotors and calipers. Larger diameter rotors with calipers that have more clamping area and force have a better mechanical advantage over smaller diameter rotors and inferior calipers. I also run Dunlop Direzza ZIII’s so tired aren’t an issue. Nice try though (not really)

Last edited: