Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bigger Tire Size?

FrostyFiST

So I’m ordering some 215/45 17s tires. I was wondering is that ok? I don’t want it to rub or anything and I want to hear some suggestions from others who used those tires.

I'm running 205/45 17s and they look...big. No issues with rubbing, but I'm *guessing* you will run into issues with 215/45s (others will know).

What are your goals? Are you looking for a higher top speed in 2nd and that's why you're running larger tires? In that case the gains may be marginal (2-3 mph at best).

You can calculate that here: https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

OP
F

FrostyFiST

Thread Starter #3
I'm running 205/45 17s and they look...big. No issues with rubbing, but I'm *guessing* you will run into issues with 215/45s (others will know).

What are your goals? Are you looking for a higher top speed in 2nd and that's why you're running larger tires? In that case the gains may be marginal (2-3 mph at best).

You can calculate that here: https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html
Well, recently at an autocross my rear end gave out some times. I was thinking I should go up in size. Unfortunately I originally wanted 205/45, but I won’t have it until the end of march. Plus my tires barely has any life in them so I need new ones regardless

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Tire make/model dependant, but I will confirm that with stock suspension, 215/45r17 will rub the front fender liners on full compression when autocrossing and you may need to adjust/tack up the felt in the rear.

i have indy500 firehawks 215/45R17 on stock suspension with no added neg camber; @vivix is right and i do get a tiny rub (or hit a the bump stop) at full wheel lock on driver side front tire when on hard right corner with a bump. i can't say for sure because it only happens at one specific spot and for an instant.

i do not race and i prefer filling out the wheel well, i think if i added some neg camber i wouldn't get any rub/bump stop hit but that's just a guess (could make it worse since i'm not sure where it rubs)

edit: this is on 7.5" wide rims though; with 8" wide rims i may not get the rub. on 7" wide rim i'd think the rub would get worse

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If you mean the rear end came around when you say it "gave out", that is typically a result of lifting off the throttle after you've gotten too much push in a corner. It results in snap oversteer. The better fix is to alter your driving to suit a front wheel drive car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
@FrostyFiST any issues with running 215/40s? Availability issue?
I do not get any rubbing at all, anywhere in the wheel wells with 215/40-17 Federal RS-RRs mounted on 17x8, ET42 Pro Race 1.2s, at the factory ride height at least.

Granted, those tires are only ~7.7" wide in tread width, and I don't know if the results would be the same with other, 8" wide tread width (or more for a few in that size) 215/40-17s or not.
Everything in that size is within ~.10" of all of the others in overall diameter/height.

even 215/45 16" rub in front when autocrossing at stock ride height (at least rt660s do). Just barely, but I wouldn't want more rubber than that.

I agree that lifting off brakes while turning can get the back end to step out!

What tires / pressure are you running now?

FJ16

Well, recently at an autocross my rear end gave out some times. I was thinking I should go up in size.
I feel like some basic research probably should have been done before you jumped into ordering completely different tires... if you wanted more tread, why go up in profile as well?

I ran 215/45 Falken 615s on 17x8 rota titans with no rub(am lowered too, Just ordered some 225/45s for this summer. Granted I am not doing autocross but I havent had any rubbing doing some spirited driving in the hills of MN.

Plan on doing a widebody so if I do rub a little its no biggie.

CSM

1000 Post Club
One thing people dont talk about often - I would caution you to go with 215/45/17. Not only may it rub, but it also raises the height of the fiesta vs. OEM, which adds a little to the rollover risk.

In fact, IIRC it may actually disqualify the car from autocross competition with the taller tires since it does not meet SCCA stability requirements.