Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown turbo ?

Well guys last night I was taking my girlfriend to sheetz and I was coming up a hill and I had the music on but not loud At all I got on the throttle a little bit and let off and went to get back on it some and realized my car was off. Now jt wont start and there’s a small puddle of oil that came from the back side of the motor somewhere. Hoping I didn’t put a window in the block as I just replaced the transmission…

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well guys last night I was taking my girlfriend to sheetz and I was coming up a hill and I had the music on but not loud At all I got on the throttle a little bit and let off and went to get back on it some and realized my car was off. Now jt wont start and there’s a small puddle of oil that came from the back side of the motor somewhere. Hoping I didn’t put a window in the block as I just replaced the transmission…
And your positive its just oil? Not Brake/clutch fluid!

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Alright guys think I may have found my culprit. The evap line that fed from right past the check valve to my intake decided to fall down out of the zip tie I had it up by and right on my exhaust manifold and melt both sides clean shut. Would that cause the car to stop running ? Thanks.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
So I’m gonna go s280 now but what all do I have to do before so? Make sure all the charge pipes are clean , drain the oil, drain the coolant. What else do I have to make sure is nice and clean before I attempt to start the car again after the swap?

slopoke

Since your compressor impeller has severe damage, backflush the intercooler. You've got bits of metal in there.

slopoke

Okay how do I go about doing that I’ve never done that before .
I'd stand it with the inlet side from the turbo pointed down and pour a solvent of your choice in the other end, let gravity do some of the work. After that, use compressed air to help dislodge and blow out the small particles. You might not be able to get it 100% clean.

Is this a stock intercooler or aftermarket? If it's stock, I'd just order an aftermarket and be done with it. You'll need it with the bigger turbo.

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
More specifically, I did not download the video. Other person made a good point about the intercooler and piping.
Gotcha. Yeah it’s an aftermarket front mount that was on the car when I bought it . Looks pretty beefy but I never had it out of the car so we’ll see what it is when I get there

transtech

I've used a big wet/dry vac with a smaller hose to vacuum the IC from the hot side and alternatively use blasts of compressed air from the IC cold side in between to be thorough. That will get everything out unless you have residual oil in the IC. In that case it will have to come out to clean it with mineral spirits. I'd avoid harsh solvents like brake clean due to risk of O2 sensor poisoning if there is any residue getting burnt off first starting the engine again.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Your lungs and brain will not enjoy absorbing the results of that stuff being burned in the engine either (depending on the compound; chlorinated or not), once it comes out of the tail pipe. [nono]

slopoke

The wet/dry vacuum idea is a good one. I'd attach the hose to the hot side with a good seal, turn on the vacuum, block the other port and let the negative pressure build. After a few seconds, unblock the port and let the high velocity airflow pull the debris out. The vacuum has more cfm than a typical compressor. Good luck.