Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blue track/street build - salvage restoration

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
Good luck! [thumb]

Is the salvage inspection a bunch more lenient/less draconian than the actual state DMV inspection, or don't you even have those in your locale?
That's my understanding but I've never done one. I believe the primary purpose is to deter theft. I have receipts for all my parts so no concern there. The car is definitely roadworthy and safe so fingers crossed that it goes smoothly. After that, I do have the actual State inspection that is done annually. Hopefully that isn't an issue either.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
I failed my inspection but relatively minor fixes needed:
- I need to install rear seats, this one was a surprise to me. I think I've found some local seats. It's dumb because it's just for the salvage inspection, State inspection doesn't care. Gotta keep The Man happy I guess.
- Bumper needs to be repaired better than my crappy repairs, that's scheduled for early next week.
- Didn't have "OEM" crash bar, had a bright green TB crash bar. In hindsight this was a bit dumb on my part. $80 on eBay and already en-route.

Getting close(ish) to track season so I have an install appointment coming up mid April for turbo/downpipe/etc. Going to do some baseline datalogging on my stock setup then datalogging after to compare results. Car runs fantastic, I have about 70 miles on it so far without a hiccup.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I failed my inspection but relatively minor fixes needed:
- I need to install rear seats, this one was a surprise to me. I think I've found some local seats. It's dumb because it's just for the salvage inspection, State inspection doesn't care. Gotta keep The Man happy I guess.

That IS weird with the fail for lack of rear seats thing, since yes, even our draconian Pennsyltucky annual inspection does not say a word about that for the last 4 years I've had the back gutted. [???:)]

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
That IS weird with the fail for lack of rear seats thing, since yes, even our draconian Pennsyltucky annual inspection does not say a word about that for the last 4 years I've had the back gutted. [???:)]
Right - I'll pass a state inspection with a half cage, no airbags, single racing seat, etc. But not salvage. Learn something new each day.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Big thanks to Ryan for the free rear seats, happy to have met you man!

Installed factory crash bar tonight. Thought while I was in there, why not do Whoosh v3 intercooler. And if I'm doing the intercooler, might as well do the hot side boost pipe. If you give a mouse a cookie...

Anyways crash bar, intercooler, and boost pipes are in. Going to reinstall the bumper and lights tomorrow then off to the body shop to have them patch my bumper. Trying to get reinspected by the end of this month.

20210321_231441.jpg

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Just curious. I am looking at a blue Fiesta ST that has been crashed and has already had all the bent parts stripped off. It needs headlights, bumper, radiator, intercooler, bumper, foglights, and any various and sundry radiator shrouds, braces, and so on. In a rough manner of speaking, how much are all those parts if you bought them new? $1000? $3000? $5000?

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Just curious. I am looking at a blue Fiesta ST that has been crashed and has already had all the bent parts stripped off. It needs headlights, bumper, radiator, intercooler, bumper, foglights, and any various and sundry radiator shrouds, braces, and so on. In a rough manner of speaking, how much are all those parts if you bought them new? $1000? $3000? $5000?
New -
Headlights - $160 for the pair
Bumper - ~$600 unpainted
Radiator - stock sub-$200, aftermarket $400+
Radiator hoses - $200+
Intercooler - stock $50
Foglights - idk cheap? But not necessary
OEM crash bar - $80
Radiator support - $150+

That's the bare minimum - there will be tons of brackets, bolts, etc. If you could send me a picture I could estimate it way better. What about airbags?

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
Yeah so there is a bunch of stuff you'd need depending on how picky you are. Fender liners, radiator support, bumper crash bar, lower grill, upper grill, radiator, radiator shroud, fan, a bunch of misc. bumper supports. I can't really see the two front impact sensors in that picture but they ride on the crash bar so not sure how the crash bar is destroyed beyond use but the sensor/airbags are good. Also do you care about A/C? Foglights/foglight surrounds? Looks like the compressor is there but not the condenser obviously. I'm old and my eyes are bad, wish I had a high-res photo.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
Installed the rear seats but apparently I gave away the middle bracket that holds the seat backs up. It's going to take a couple weeks to get it. I'm going to be cutting this close if I don't pass inspection again. Car is off to the body shop tomorrow in hopes they can repair the bumper and get it mounted securely.

20210323_215233.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are they going to 'plastic weld' the bumper?

I don't blame you one bit for not getting a new one, given the $700.00 shipped and unpainted co$t of a new one.

Installed the rear seats but apparently I gave away the middle bracket that holds the seat backs up. It's going to take a couple weeks to get it. I'm going to be cutting this close if I don't pass inspection again. Car is off to the body shop tomorrow in hopes they can repair the bumper and get it mounted securely.

View attachment 39133
Any pick and pull yards near you? I’d imagine that you could find one even from a base fiesta.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #57
Salvage inspection take two on the 7th, stock turbo data logging from the 8th-12th, turbo/downpipe/exhaust install on the 13th, custom tune revisions starting on the 14th, BBK/coilovers on the 16-18th, first track day on the 25th. What could possibly go wrong?!?

Ford Community Posts