Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BoostBumps RaceRed Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #243
From what I read this is install on the chassis/frame. The question I have is how strong it is. More worried for winter or is it a simple removal in fall and reinstall in Spring?
It mounts to the lower bumper (not the chassis/frame) similar approach to most others and appears to be as strong and durable as any others currently available...Install and removal is fairly easy...And yeah probably not a good idea to have any splitter installed for those living in the snow belts...

And I make no pretense with reason for installing this splitter...It's purely for appearance...

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #246
Here is pic from the instructions which shows an unfinished (not painted) splitter with mount locations...

underside mounted.jpg

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Old intake v.s the Cobb

I know it has been awhile and I apologize if it's already been discussed, but I'd like some feedback on your intake swap. Like you, I went with a different intake (Cobb wasn't available back then) and I purchased an FSWERKs. I also have the full Cobb stage 3 set-up. I am wondering what difference the Cobb made in feel (subjective) and power (dyno) as well as IATs. The only thing that kinda turns me off is the surface area of the filter seems alot smaller than the FSWERKs and the stock airbox has a few drawbacks as far as getting air into it. I do like how the filter is isolated so I am thinking of trying the Cobb but modifying the airbox so it lets more cool air in. Anything you can share would be much appreciated. [:)]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #248
I know it has been awhile and I apologize if it's already been discussed, but I'd like some feedback on your intake swap. Like you, I went with a different intake (Cobb wasn't available back then) and I purchased an FSWERKs. I also have the full Cobb stage 3 set-up. I am wondering what difference the Cobb made in feel (subjective) and power (dyno) as well as IATs. The only thing that kinda turns me off is the surface area of the filter seems alot smaller than the FSWERKs and the stock airbox has a few drawbacks as far as getting air into it. I do like how the filter is isolated so I am thinking of trying the Cobb but modifying the airbox so it lets more cool air in. Anything you can share would be much appreciated. [:)]
I replaced my Cobb CAI awhile ago with CP-E's CAI....

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=81120&viewfull=1#post81120

There's a number of aspects of CP-E?s CAI which differs from that of both the OEM and COBB intake systems that I do appreciate:

1) Larger enclosed airbox design with a secondary 3? diameter lower snorkel inlet air tube

2) Larger 4? ID wide mouth conical filter design (outer filter dimensions are approx. 6? dia x 6? L)

3) CP-E?s Conical Filter incorporates the use of a CNC velocity stack bellmouth insert which smoothly compresses the air by gently reducing the filter ID from 4? to 3? to match the 3? diameter intake tubing

4) In reviewing past tuning logs it appears both airflow mass increased by ~ 1lb/min and boost by ~0.5psi...

5) There have been two dyno test of CP-E's CAI by both CP-E and ISO100 which both showed fairly significant gains

[HR][/HR]
Also adding an additional ram intake extension tube was shown to have improved IAT's at both idle and during cruising conditions...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=81119&viewfull=1#post81119
[HR][/HR]

Hope that's helpful information for you!.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I replaced my Cobb CAI awhile ago with CP-E's CAI....

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=81120&viewfull=1#post81120

There's a number of aspects of CP-E?s CAI which differs from that of both the OEM and COBB intake systems that I do appreciate:

1) Larger enclosed airbox design with a secondary 3? diameter lower snorkel inlet air tube

2) Larger 4? ID wide mouth conical filter design (outer filter dimensions are approx. 6? dia x 6? L)

3) CP-E?s Conical Filter incorporates the use of a CNC velocity stack bellmouth insert which smoothly compresses the air by gently reducing the filter ID from 4? to 3? to match the 3? diameter intake tubing

4) In reviewing past tuning logs it appears both airflow mass increased by ~ 1lb/min and boost by ~0.5psi...

[HR][/HR]
Also adding an additional ram intake extension tube was shown to have improved IAT's at both idle and during cruising conditions...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=81119&viewfull=1#post81119
Thanks for the information! [thumb]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #251
JBR OCC / Boomba CV / CFM Breather Cap Installed

This OCC setup (below) pretty much checks "all" the boxes I was looking for...I'm very pleased with the new JBR OCC kit....

- OCC with baffled internals
- 5/8" inlet and outlet ports
- Minimal hose routing lengths
- Easy draining capability
- Relatively stable & open mounting location
- Quick OE Hose Connects
- Check Valve
- Greater than 120ml (4.0 oz) holding capacity (drain every ~5k miles)

[HR][/HR]
JBR OCC Kit

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sh...roduct_info&cPath=147_219_350&products_id=914

Installation Instructions:

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/support/JBR Fiesta ST Oil Catch Can Installation Instructions.pdf

[HR][/HR]
CFM Breather Cap

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...reather-Kit-for-2014-15-Fiesta-ST-49p5173.htm

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=65675&viewfull=1#post65675

[HR][/HR]
Boomba CV

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valve-12-mm-1-2/

[HR][/HR]
Installation Pics:

JBR OCC CFM Engine Cover.jpg

JBR OCC Close up CFM no engine cover.jpg

JBR OCC OE OIL CAP NO COVER.jpg

JBR OCC Closeup no engine cover.jpg

Easy Access to Drain Valve through Wheel Well (shown below)

JBR Drain Valve.jpg

JBR OCC with hoses.jpg

JBR-OCC FLOW.jpg
[HR][/HR]

Boomba CV

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valve-12-mm-1-2/

Just a few thoughts and comments regarding the reasons as to why its a good idea to install a check valve between the Intake Manifold (IM) and OCC...

1) To mitigate any possibility of having the OCC pressurized during high boost conditions (particularly important when the can begins to fillup with blow-by oil residue and sludge)...Installing a check valve will prevent oil that has accumulated in the OCC from "percolating" and splashing up within the can occurring during high turbulent / initial quick boost spooling conditions which can create quite a mess internally by stirring up the heavier "sludge" that has already collected on the bottom of the can...This is done as a "preventive measure" to prevent having any sludge residue that the OCC has collected getting all over and clogging / gunking up the internal filters and/or mesh baffles and then having it pushed back towards the PCV...

2) Installing a check valve between OCC outlet port and IM (located closer to intake manifold port) essentially will block or cap off the IM port during boost conditions...There is no advantage in having high boost pressure directed towards and filling up an empty canister or chamber (OCC) from the IM during boost spool-up and also no need to pressurize more volume than is needed outside the intake manifold.

3) OE PCV 's are fairly notorious for not being able to completely close to prevent boost from entering the crankcase, even when brand new. Add a few thousand miles worth of crud flowing back and forth through and the worse it gets. And the more boost you run, the greater the problem can become...

Now I'm not saying its absolutely required but it is a very good "preventative measure" to have a CV installed...

Looks really good.

How is the routing on the drain tube? Is it isolated from exhaust and other hot bits?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #253
Looks really good.

How is the routing on the drain tube? Is it isolated from exhaust and other hot bits?
The drain tube clears everything hot and runs parallel to the strut tower

J2FoRS

Great build with tons of excellent information. Will definitely be adding a few of your ideas and DIYs to my FiST. I also love your splitter and must look into that!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great thread with great ideas. I like your conservative approach, gives me some great ideas for a sensible build.

THANKS!!

jeff

2000 Post Club
View attachment 4810

View attachment 4809

View attachment 4808

View attachment 4811

Snorkel evaluation based on before and after comparisons of "Ambient" / "Intake" / "Charge" temps logged during a 20 min idle soak and at hwy (70mph) cruising speeds:

View attachment 4825
Tom -

A question regarding your post #212. I don't see much about this mod on your thread - I'm assuming you used a black elbow from Home Depot and custom fit it, attaching with the brackets?

I appreciate the insight...got my ST a couple of weeks ago and I'm planning out my intake setup, your thread has been most helpful.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #257
Great build with tons of excellent information. Will definitely be adding a few of your ideas and DIYs to my FiST. I also love your splitter and must look into that!
Great thread with great ideas. I like your conservative approach, gives me some great ideas for a sensible build.

THANKS!!
Hey thanks Guys!

Tom -

A question regarding your post #212. I don't see much about this mod on your thread - I'm assuming you used a black elbow from Home Depot and custom fit it, attaching with the brackets?

I appreciate the insight...got my ST a couple of weeks ago and I'm planning out my intake setup, your thread has been most helpful.
That's correct...The 3" diameter 45 degree elbow and brackets were purchased at Home Depot

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Status
Not open for further replies.