Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake Pedal/Steering Creak

mpdescha

Hello all!

I'm new here- I recently got a low mileage 2018 FiST that I'm loving so far! I had a general question that I was curious if anyone here had experienced:

There is a creaking sound when I slowly let off my brake pedal or push it down. The same noise also occurs when turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock. When I turn the wheel I can also "feel" the noise in the brake pedal, if that makes sense. It seems like it's coming from the interior under the steering column somewhere in the linkage. Anybody got any ideas about what it might be? I figured I'd ask here to see if I could diagnose it myself before taking it into the shop for a look.

Thanks, and I look forward to contributing more on this forum as I upgrade my car!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello all!

I'm new here- I recently got a low mileage 2018 FiST that I'm loving so far! I had a general question that I was curious if anyone here had experienced:

There is a creaking sound when I slowly let off my brake pedal or push it down. The same noise also occurs when turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock. When I turn the wheel I can also "feel" the noise in the brake pedal, if that makes sense. It seems like it's coming from the interior under the steering column somewhere in the linkage. Anybody got any ideas about what it might be? I figured I'd ask here to see if I could diagnose it myself before taking it into the shop for a look.

Thanks, and I look forward to contributing more on this forum as I upgrade my car!
Get some dry silicone lube* see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Sam4

I've got this combo too. Groaning while heavy turn (parking space), maybe right side? The application/release of the brake pedal is somehow associated - it's not a magic spray issue. I've been crawling around looking for, and bitching about noises. Motor mounts are all good, thought it might actually be the accordion section of the downpipe. Endlinks helped.
I've decided it probably the strut plate/bearing/top hat. I've got a growing 'broken baseball bat' vibration and ANY imperfection feels terminal. Essentially, its play at the top of the strut. Just got 'em, they're about $20 each - that alone should reinforce my diagnosis!

OP
M

mpdescha

Thread Starter #6
I've got this combo too. Groaning while heavy turn (parking space), maybe right side? The application/release of the brake pedal is somehow associated - it's not a magic spray issue. I've been crawling around looking for, and bitching about noises. Motor mounts are all good, thought it might actually be the accordion section of the downpipe. Endlinks helped.
I've decided it probably the strut plate/bearing/top hat. I've got a growing 'broken baseball bat' vibration and ANY imperfection feels terminal. Essentially, its play at the top of the strut. Just got 'em, they're about $20 each - that alone should reinforce my diagnosis!
Yep, the grease didn't work for me either. Let me know if the strut-bearing replacement works for you! At first, I thought it was just coming from the steering column/break pedal assembly but then I hopped in the passenger seat to grab something from the glove box when parked and heard it [?|]

Last edited: