Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Break Fluid Leak near Transaxle

So I noticed 2014 FiST was running low on brake fluid last month, I decided to just top it off. Last week I went under the car and noticed some fluid dripping from the lowest point on the transaxle (near that lowest bolt in the picture, not my car though). Also, the brake fluid is low again plus there was a little puddle where I park in my garage. The fluid is clear and oily. But brakes are fine and the clutch is behaving normally nothing completely out of the ordinary.

So I think it is brake fluid correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless Im not sure where to start, where should I check first. Are there any brake lines or anything around there?

Please let me know if anyone experienced this or if you have any idea what my next step should be.

Attachments

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is this Fiesta AWD? I don't see a Transfercase anywhere in the picture. I see a Manual Transaxle for A FWD FiST.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Check the Clutch pedal inside the vehicle for leakage as others have found. Does the pedal have any issues? Getting stuck down? Won't return after being depressed?

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
So I noticed 2014 FiST was running low on brake fluid last month, I decided to just top it off. Last week I went under the car and noticed some fluid dripping from the lowest point on the transfer case (near that lowest bolt in the picture, not my car though). Also, the brake fluid is low again plus there was a little puddle where I park in my garage. The fluid is clear and oily. But brakes are fine and the clutch is behaving normally nothing completely out of the ordinary.

So I think it is brake fluid correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless Im not sure where to start, where should I check first. Are there any brake lines or anything around there?

Please let me know if anyone experienced this or if you have any idea what my next step should be.
My 2019 clutch slave cylinder leaked 2 months ago. W/o raising on a lift, my fluid was only visible where the Trans meets the engine, on the underneath side. That exact same spot... Nothing from the top, front or rear. Mine went from working to zero <an hour.

You need a mirror or USB C snake light to look where the slave cylinder connects to the housing/case also. Best of luck...either a long repair at home or $$$ in a shop. The seal at the housing was bad too, so they replaced the slave cylinder, complete supply hose and clutch disc, under warranty.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This also gives the opportunity to do an LSD if your into Modding or been wanting to do one. You will need a Boroscope / Endoscope. You can buy them off Amazon that will work with your Phone and have a light and HD function if you wanna get technical. Good luck and keep us up to date! How many miles also on the FiST?

Last edited:
OP
syasar
Thread Starter #6
Is this Fiesta AWD? I don't see a Transfercase anywhere in the picture. I see a Manual Transaxle for A FWD FiST.

Darn right right, transaxle is what I meant I will edit that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #7
Great I thanks guys, I will get that camera.

In terms of the bad clutch slave should there be clutch issue/symptoms I should keep a eye on because I haven’t hadn’t had problems with the clutch it self. Or can that just be attributed to how slow the fluid is leaking.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Great I thanks guys, I will get that camera.

In terms of the bad clutch slave should there be clutch issue/symptoms I should keep a eye on because I haven’t hadn’t had problems with the clutch it self. Or can that just be attributed to how slow the fluid is leaking.

Slowness, for sure. My clutch went mushy all of a sudden, so I pulled over. While in the parking lot, playing with it, the pedal kept getting softer until it stuck down. you could move it by hand. It splooged all over the clutch disc. Coincidentally, it was TWO days after the LSD was installed. Which btw, is awesome...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #9
So really does look like it's the slave cylinder, question though is there going to be gearbox damage with the slave cylinder leaking brake fluid inside of it.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
So really does look like it's the slave cylinder, question though is there going to be gearbox damage with the slave cylinder leaking brake fluid inside of it.

Gearbox, no. It can't get inside the actual gearbox. The situation you have is whether there is just a leaking supply hose connection to the bell housing where the clutch pressure plate and disc are at, or the slave cylinder itself is leaking.

In the case of the slave cylinder leaking it has splooged on the disc and the disc needs to be replaced or perhaps thoroughly cleaned, if possible. Since mine was under warranty they just replaced the disc and cleaned the pressure plate and housing area. They also replaced the supply hose that connects to the housing. They said there was evidence that the seals were failing there.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
syasar
Thread Starter #11
Gearbox, no. It can't get inside the actual gearbox. The situation you have is whether there is just a leaking supply hose connection to the bell housing where the clutch pressure plate and disc are at, or the slave cylinder itself is leaking.

In the case of the slave cylinder leaking it has splooged on the disc and the disc needs to be replaced or perhaps thoroughly cleaned, if possible. Since mine was under warranty they just replaced the disc and cleaned the pressure plate and housing area. They also replaced the supply hose that connects to the housing. They said there was evidence that the seals were failing there.

Good luck.

Alright that makes sense, thanks. I will keep this post updated.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #12
Just did a clutch job and changed out everything including the slave cylinder. Will report back in a few weeks, to see if my car is still leaking.