Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bump Steer with Coils

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
something not mentioned earlier, but under hard braking when the front suspension is going into bump condition, bump steer is trying to turn the wheels in opposite directions. If you are braking hard and entering a turn, the car will quickly become unstable. Even braking going straight, the car will feel very darty. Equally, under acceleration when the front suspension is in jounce, bump steer will affect stability. Of course, the amount of suspension travel is far greater under braking than acceleration due to the forces generated. Way more brake force than acceleration force.

Siestarider

something not mentioned earlier, but under hard braking when the front suspension is going into bump condition, bump steer is trying to turn the wheels in opposite directions. If you are braking hard and entering a turn, the car will quickly become unstable. Even braking going straight, the car will feel very darty. Equally, under acceleration when the front suspension is in jounce, bump steer will affect stability. Of course, the amount of suspension travel is far greater under braking than acceleration due to the forces generated. Way more brake force than acceleration force.
Sounds like a good way to identify bump steer influence if the only variable changed is ride height.

PhoenixM3

I completely agree with the seat time and learning, making the driver more capable is a lot more cost-effective than making the car quicker. The autocrosser who created the Far North Racing site has some great examples in his book. Being really quick on track requires doing the exact same thing (once you learn what that is) over and over as perfectly as possible, which taxes concentration and is maybe a little less entertaining than being just competent and having fun.

But to be honest about it, the car was so much better than I was when I started tracking, it was easy to focus on driving rather than modding. The mod bug is kind of separate anyway, I enjoy doing my own work and this car is relatively easy to work on. But even then, I tend to look for mods that will improve track quickness in theory even if I cannot feel them yet, or maybe never. Its all good. And great to have forum members who share their knowledge. Thanks.
Yeah, I can vouch for having an instructor in the car. My friend has been racing and is a driver trainer for Formula Ford. We had a blast at the Nurburgring in my FiST, and half of those laps were in the rain. Driver mod is the best investment.....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just did the 1 day rally course, but the understanding of car control are the same. Weight transfer is weight transfer regardless of the surface. How to attack corners is completely different, but getting your butt to understand how the car is behaving with different inputs is the same.
Understood! [thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hence why racing seats are molded to fit torso and legs, with butt exposed to maximum chassis feel and minimum comfort. It would be fun to experiment with bottom seat cushion replacements to see just how much butt calibration/sensitivity is available with stock seatbacks for tracking.
Would your main reason for not going to a full on race shell seat be to retain the air bags, or is it more for keeping the stock seat's long distance comfort? [dunno]