Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Burnt valance...... longer exhaust hangers????

I managed to get out and wash both my cars this past weekend. Holiday weekend for us Canucks. My SVT hasn't been driven much due to the lack of racing and it was green and slimy. Took a toothbrush to many cracks and crevices.

My biggest problem came when I got to the rear of the ST. As you can see, I somehow managed to melt/burn the valance. I've had the ST just over 2 years and nothing has changed. I did recently take it on its first long road trip, 5hrs each way, mountain driving. Nothing too exciting as I had my 2 boys with me.

I'm gonna see about getting a new valance or sanding this one and painting it flat black, but does anyone know if there are available slightly longer exhaust hangers. I don't want to fix everything just to have it happen again. 20200520_144255.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Man..that sucks...this is why I got my whole exhaust ceramic coated except for the tips.What exhaust is that?

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #3
It says magnaflow on the tips so I'll presume the whole catback is that. I didn't install it, I bought the car as is.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
That's a problem with the tips not protruding past the bumper far enough - you could try to wiggle the muffler section out further after loosening the clamps.

Can you show a picture top down showing how far they protrude out from the valance?

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #5
20200522_125535.jpg 20200522_141459.jpg
Couple different angles, it doesn't stick out at all.
Also, the previous owner did a pretty shitty job of welding the exhaust, so there's gonna be no loosening of clamps and wiggling the muffler section.
The only thing I've done differently in the past 2yrs is the road trip. 3hrs of highway driving before first stop clearly got the exhaust too hot. Gotta fix that before next trip to cabin.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could just do the heat shedding gold or silver, adhesive backed, foil wrap stuff on the outlet scallop for now, until you can get everything fixed, to keep it from actually deforming the bumper ABS (or whatever it is made of). [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Easiest fix is to cut off that garbage job by the previous owner ( full offense to whoever welded that up) and set yourself up with a new catback that's properly laid out.
I Like this idea very much! Its a total dumpster fire under there I got $5 on it.

Last edited:
This get me thinking I should maybe attach some heat resistant material there before I install my Thermal exhaust.

I think DEI makes some that has a sticky backing that I could cut to shape. It's bright silver but it shouldn't be too noticeable if I just put it on that inner section.

Any better ideas?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This get me thinking I should maybe attach some heat resistant material there before I install my Thermal exhaust.

I think DEI makes some that has a sticky backing that I could cut to shape. It's bright silver but it shouldn't be too noticeable if I just put it on that inner section.

Any better ideas?
Na...man....your good. I run a thermal....but its ceramic coated to the tips. Its close to the bumper....no burn marks. Its been over a year...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
svtcanuck
Thread Starter #13
Replacing it is definitely not in the budget right now, so I'll see if I can find some adhesive heat shielding.

Nobody knows if the aftermarket hangers are longer?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Replacing it is definitely not in the budget right now, so I'll see if I can find some adhesive heat shielding.

Nobody knows if the aftermarket hangers are longer?
You don't need longer hangers. They will not solve this problem.

The heat is going directly UP. If you move it down 1/2/" it won't do much at all.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
It is possible to "bend" or weld an extension to the exhaust arm to help push out the exhaust. I had to do this when installing my Mountune catback which fit so badly it was practically rubbing the valence. Now it fits very nicely.